Tracking down an oil leak on the front/passenger side of the engine

Kine

Authorized Seller
Hey all,

I'm tracking down an oil leak right now and thought I'd post up here to see if anyone's got some previous experience they could share. The leak will only drip while the engine's running and for a bit after turning off from a drive. Increasing RPMs looks to make the leak flow faster.

This is the spot that the oil is eventually dripping from to the ground when the car is on.
Lead Drip Spot_20200830_LI (2).jpg

After wiping the area down a bit and observing with the engine running I found the following spot above that area that looks like it's closer to the actual leak source. Crank pulley on the right, P/S pulley on the left, water pump pulley on top behind the radiator blade fans. The oil is dripping for a rear facing bolt that's behind the water pump assembly.
Leak Tracing_20200830_LI.jpg

I can't get much of a view right now of that area from above so next time I go in I'll be removing the intake and accordion hose to get a better look. I'm thinking maybe the CPS so I'll be looking under there after I get the hoses out and pull back the P/S reservoir.

Appreciate any knowledge you can share if you've tackled a similar leak or just have some general pointers. Thanks!

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
If it's the CPS, they leak in two ways. 1. I'll use this term loosely, but "internally". 2. An o'ring that's on the shaft of the assembly and is easily visible when you remove the CPS.

Remove the CPS cover first and see if there's oil inside. If so, then you'll want to either fix it (there's a few write-ups on that), or replace it. If it's the former, simply replace the o'ring and reinstall the CPS. Mark it's placement internally and externally using white-out or a paint pen. This will help keep it in time when you reinstall it. The TSRM is helpful for this too.

Link to TSRM:

Reactions: Kine

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
If not the CPS then could be loose cam covers or center cover, or worst case camshaft or oil pump driveshaft seals.

Reactions: Kine

Kine

Authorized Seller
Thanks for the tips! I'll check the CPS first and see what I can do to check the the camshaft and oil pump driveshaft. I remember replacing the CPS o-ring from the Toyota head rebuild gasket kit but that was back in early 2000's, so it's totally feasible that it needs a new one. Cam covers are definitely letting some oil out but that's been a known leak that I've just kinda dealt with for 15+ years. This new leak let's a lot more oil out than "normal". I do have new cam cover gaskets sitting in a box, even the center one, so this might be a time to finally replace them on the car.