TPS issues

MK3MKB

Authorized Seller
I'm struggling to get my TPS in adjustment. I followed the TSRM, locked it down when it deflects and checked to make sure it hasn't moved. The car will idle if you gently let off the throttle until it reaches idle speed. If I rev it the car dies when the RPM's come back down. I bought this car off someone who had rebuilt the engine and couldn't get the engine started after re-install. I had to go through the vacuum system and I don't believe I missed anything. PCM ended up being bad so I swapped in one for an automatic car, mine is manual. I also put in a walbro 255 fuel pump when I cleaned out the tank. This is a non-turbo car.

MK3MKB

Authorized Seller
Only code is 51.

I got it closer, I used alligator clips with my multimeter and locked it down at the very spot it lost continuity with the .58 feeler gauge on the throttle. Now it'll start fine and idle itself after a rev on a cold start but still stalls after rev when it gets warm.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
In my experience that would most likely point to a vacuum leak somewhere. If its not an obvious disconnected or damaged hose, try a smoke test.

Reactions: A70nut

MK3MKB

Authorized Seller
Finally got some free time to look at this some more. I've also been looking at my Chaser with a 1JZ in the other section.

I pulled the timing cover on the Supra like I did on the Chaser. I found the exhaust cam 1 tooth off. I managed to get the cam turned one tooth without disassembling the whole timing set. Re-timed the engine, set at 12 degrees. I can now drive the car without it stalling every time I push the clutch in. It still stalls after a rev, and won't rev past 4,000 RPM, but that's another issue. The new main issue I'm having is a knock on throttle. Only occurs on throttle, when driving. If the engine is rod knocking, I don't see any point to continue with this fault/engine.