Toyota Heritage Parts

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I just saw an article on this also.

Hopefully not just for Japan market, otherwise shipping is quite expensive to here.
Not impossible but cost prohibitive.
Will have to wait and see...

Good news nonetheless.

Reactions: alcyon

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I just saw an article on this also.

Hopefully not just for Japan market, otherwise shipping is quite expensive to here.
Not impossible but cost prohibitive.
Will have to wait and see...

Good news nonetheless.
Really? I've had the opposite experience. Ordering from Japan exporters tends to save me money, even with shipping, when compared to US online dealers. What kills me is the long wait time. They don't ship super fast and once they do, it takes a week to get out here - or more.

I think shipping costs will only kill the deal for really large parts. But then, hey, brand new large parts for the mk3? I'll consider myself lucky just to have the option of buying new.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yeah anything aftermarket there I have had to pay high shipping costs.
Maybe if it's straight from the Toyota dealership network shipping is cheaper?

Where are you buying from in Japan ?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Yeah anything aftermarket there I have had to pay high shipping costs.
Maybe if it's straight from the Toyota dealership network shipping is cheaper?

Where are you buying from in Japan ?
Looking back at my orders it's probably very size dependent. Each time I ordered $150+ in parts and they all fit in a small little box.

http://jp-carparts.com/

or

https://www.amayama.com/en

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Wow, I was this close to giving up on the Supra and getting a BRZ due to parts shortages. So glad I didn't!

Thanks for posting this wonderful news!

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Well...depends on which / how many parts they are going to reproduce.
Still waiting to hear on that.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
new heads would be nice, that way you don't have to worry about getting a used one that's been overheated and annealed, or that has heavy cam bearing wear.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Authorized Seller
Reactions: alcyon

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
I wonder if it would be worth it to start compiling a list of desired part numbers to send to Toyota?

Might do nothing, might show them how much interest there really is!

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Could try, but will the list get any attention?
Who knows.

I would think it would require some backing from well known aftermarket / performance / tuning shops to gain traction.
Also Jalopnik appears to be able to reach OE's and a vast reader base.

There are a few people I know at Toyota HQ, though they know little about anything Supra related.

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Because I figure if you are going to fantasize why not go all the way, I would love to see full interior parts reproduced :D

If I could buy an entire brand new blue interior I would have my car redone in Toyota Dark Blue Pearl Mica and be ever so happy. (Plus someone could buy my great to excellent condition gray interior and be happy too!)

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
I was just thinking about this. Personally I would love to go back to TEMS setup with Eibach lowering springs. I like that it keeps the nose from dipping while braking.
It is more expensive at about $250 a strut, but you can apparently get TEMS compatible KYB struts from Japan still. IIRC people were saying they are more robust than the Tokikos, but I could be mis-remembering.

Eibachs seem to be getting harder to get after DM bought them out. But it seems that sets are available for $300 in various places. I did find this update to the DM page kind of funny once they sold out:
https://www.driftmotion.com/8211-14-p/dm169.htm

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Well, the good news is you cannot get to that link searching the site itself. I think they changed it as a joke and then deactivated the page assuming no one would ever see it. But search engines still find it.

Reactions: debrucer

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Funny? I find it sort of insulting. Joke? Probably, but, still....
I've worked with a couple different e-commerce tools and I have had situations where entering an insane price was the easiest way to make something "unavailable". I don't think it was a joke so much as their attempt to ensure nobody purchased the product once they ran out. They've removed the links within their site, but the page hasn't been deleted/removed from google results. I'm guessing they just don't have complete control/know-how on their e-commerce setup/website and this was their attempt to de-activate the page and protect folks from buying an out of stock item.

With how good Shopify and similar platforms are now, they should probably switch over to a more modern interface (or pay for an updated custom one), but that's a huge undertaking for a shop like theirs.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I've worked with a couple different e-commerce tools and I have had situations where entering an insane price was the easiest way to make something "unavailable". I don't think it was a joke so much as their attempt to ensure nobody purchased the product once they ran out. They've removed the links within their site, but the page hasn't been deleted/removed from google results. I'm guessing they just don't have complete control/know-how on their e-commerce setup/website and this was their attempt to de-activate the page and protect folks from buying an out of stock item.

With how good Shopify and similar platforms are now, they should probably switch over to a more modern interface (or pay for an updated custom one), but that's a huge undertaking for a shop like theirs.
perhaps "insulting" was too strong of initial reaction. I certainly use them whenever I can and I appreciate what they've built.
It makes perfect sense how it might have happened... 20 or so posts in this thread later :)

Reactions: suprarx7nut

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Apparently there is a new email out from Toyota in-regards of this program and what parts people would like to see made again. Did anyone read, hear of or respond to this Toyota email?

I wanted to preserve my wanted item list but this definitely sounds like progress. My list would consist of adding:

• Front parking brake cable
  • Both left and right hard brake lines going to the rear wheels (all brake hard lines available again would be nice)
  • Front windshield trim
  • Rear hatch black glass trim (especially the lower piece)
  • Rear cargo cover (in medium gray)
  • Both left and right b pillar exterior black plastic trim pieces (for hardtop and targa-top models)
  • Booth door panels (in medium gray)
  • OEM TEMS shocks
  • Hood release cable
  • Gas tank
  • Gas tank straps
  • Front lower mud flaps
  • Rear mud flaps
  • 86.5-88 style exterior trim would be very nice, even nicer in burgundy ;)
  • OEM power antenna (non 3 piece spoiler design)
  • New 7m bare cylinder head
  • New 7m bare block
  • 7m oil pump driveshaft

A full shadow gray interior to choose from would be nice too. Also a new r154 transmission (non remote/tripod style) would be great and would probably drop the prices of use ones too. I will update this thread when I can think of more too add...

traingeek2000

Authorized Seller
OEM LHD Digital Dash
it's the retro-future we (by we I mean like a dozen tops) all want

In seriousness I wouldn't mind interior bits, my TEMS buttons have worn away and my window switches are going out.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I have not heard or seen this new email.

Where did you catch wind of that?

Supra mn

Authorized Seller
Not really sure if any of these are still available from Toyota, but other than what's been said, some things I can think of off the top of my head would be:

Leather seat skins and foam
Coil pack cover
Wiring harness
Front lip
5 speed shift knob
TSRM reprints
Maybe some Turbo-A parts? head/block/turbo etc.
Some re-engineered head bolts? ;)

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Hope you get it!

I just checked my email and I had it as well. I would give you the link, but sadly it is unique to each user.

I was a bit sad to see how high the prices were on some of the items, but hey, at least things seem serious!

trydrew

Suprafied
Authorized Seller
I just got an email survey this morning from Toyota asking me first about how much I've spent on Toyota genuine, and then anything else combined. They then proceed to ask about my interest in certain parts, and wondering how many I'd be interested in, why, and how much is be willing to pay. The answers are only selectable, a bit closed ended.

The list of parts is not really impressive to say the least, but addresses some other otherwise unavailable parts.

Capture+_2019-10-18-11-28-00.png

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but I will show interest through this survey, and hopefully they expand their selection.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The door handles would be great, they always seem to break, and are made of crappy metal that is hard to weld. Headlamps? wtf.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
I assume this list is common between the A70/A80. That said, aside from the sealed beam itself, some headlight parts for the A70 would definitely be useful.

Jeff

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Exterior moldings, thank god. Trim and weatherstriping. That's the top of my list. Very, very hard to replicate that stuff.

I registered just now. Hoping I get a survey. Pricing is nearly a non-issue for me. Not because I'm loaded, but because many of these parts are astronomically priced already if you can even find them. No matter what Toyota prices parts at, it will be a huge savings and improvement in availability. You already have to pay $1000+ for a set of windshield trim if you can manage to find a listing. Rear quarter trim? Never even seen a new set for sale, but I'd expect each side to be $500-1000+.

trydrew

Suprafied
Authorized Seller
Agreed, I think this is the biggest win, despite the fact there are numerous other mechanical parts that would benefit the community. Hopefully the range of what they reproduce is as broad as the vague description indicates.

Exterior moldings, thank god. Trim and weatherstriping. That's the top of my list. Very, very hard to replicate that stuff.