Tokico Illuminas...are they good?

Kraken477

Authorized Seller
So I recently purchased an 86 supra na from my boss and i found out it has Tokico Illumina EU3634 suspension all around the car with eibach lowering springs and some sort of HKS mounts for the shocks. I have no experience with these parts and have no clue how to find out exactly what model the hks mounts are but what I want to know is how does this setup sound? the Tokicos are electronic adjustable so they work with tems. Just curious on what I have as I am still working on getting the car running.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
That was the set up I ran for 10 years and I liked the TEMS Tokico Illumina's and eibach spring combo the best when I was still using the factory TEMS system. I have tried those shocks with a few different lowering springs in the past such as the H&R's and one other type but the eibach springs were my favorite with the perfect drop and still handled very nice.

This year I got rid of the TEMS shocks and went with 16 way adjustable TEIN Flex Z coilovers and those ride so much better than the TEMS set up ever did. You have a nice range of adjustments from old Cadillac bouncing around soft to feel every bump in the road stiff on those TEIN coilovers.

I am curious on what HKS mounts you have?

Kine

Authorized Seller
That's a rare setup you have there Kraken, those shocks are no longer available new :)

This year I got rid of the TEMS shocks and went with 16 way adjustable TEIN Flex Z coilovers and those ride so much better than the TEMS set up ever did. You have a nice range of adjustments from old Cadillac bouncing around soft to feel every bump in the road stiff on those TEIN coilovers.
Nice to hear the TEIN Flex Z's are nice, I've been eyeing those on Driftmotion for a while. Picked up the non-TEMS center console storage pocket piece recently on eBay in anticipation :)

Kraken477

Authorized Seller
I am curious on what HKS mounts you have?
I honestly have no clue. I tried googling all sorts of HKS mounts but couldnt find anything that fit the mk3. They are pillow top though and im stupid for not realizing that i in fact do NOT have tems at all! There isn't anything attached to the top of my struts or plugged in anywhere so i'm hoping that my ride is pretty stiff! Im planning on a drift build with this car so i might upgrade to coilovers.

Old Radar

Authorized Seller
If you bought the car not running and the TEMS system has been removed there's a better than even chance those Illuminas are spongy. I stayed with TEMS until I couldn't find Illuminas anymore and then went with coilovers--Fortune Auto 500s. 24 points adjustable, rebuildable--the last shocks you'll ever need.

Kraken477

Authorized Seller
If you bought the car not running and the TEMS system has been removed there's a better than even chance those Illuminas are spongy. I stayed with TEMS until I couldn't find Illuminas anymore and then went with coilovers--Fortune Auto 500s. 24 points adjustable, rebuildable--the last shocks you'll ever need.
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll find out when I finally get this thing on the road. Coilovers sound like a good idea though.