TobyCat's winter buildup

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
strikes me that I should measure the deck height. How would I do that? I used a caliper inside each piston to measure the stroke depth and it looks like I'm down on average 0.3mm off of spec. I have a stock sized Cometic head gasket (1.37mm). I haven't measured the head yet but that won't be zero.

Looks like I should go for a 2mm gasket. The HKS ones are serious $$, Titan/Cometic seem to be OK and well received.

Unrelated note - Looking for some adjustable cam gears.

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
Well, there's nothing like a deadline to get the car put back together! I put in about 2 weeks of evenings getting this thing back together :)

Since I lapped the deck a bunch, I measured the deck amount removed + head and ended up getting an HKS 2MM stopper gasket.

Gasket On:

And bolted down!

It then sat like that for ... a while. I picked up some Titan adjustable cam gears:

Then got the turbo and lower intake manifold back on and let it sit for well over a year :/

Last edited:

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
Then in early Feb, picked up where we left off

Put the intercooler and the Mashimoto radiator on:

There was tons more to do than I remembered. The instructions on assembly where it says "do reverse of disassembly" is only useful if you remember how you took it apart ;) Thankfully we took a *ton* of photos.

Fans on:

Upper intake manifold + vacuum lines + wiring harness took a bunch of time to diagnose wtf was going on since it was all in pieces on the bench. I'm so glad that I labelled all the bolts into bags as things came off. Made assembly slightly less painful

Coming together! Upper intake done, lower rad hoses and intercooler piping (total bitch!), coils+wires etc.. The CPS cover just disintegrated so had to order a new one

That's where I left it after a few weeknights.

Last edited:

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
Now the homestretch!

This was all that's left to do:

to be put onto here:

And this is all the bits and bobs back on:

At this point, I filled up coolant, oil, PS fluid. Only had one leak on lower rad hose which was a simple fix!

Put the battery in and tried to fire it up - it tried to catch but wouldn't really. Some diagnosis later ...

Found that the lower vacuum wasn't connected. I put 10L of 94octane in the tank and fired it up. This time it ran!

Dropped the oil, cleaned up all my tools, took it for a few laps around the block and it drove!

Last edited:

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
Got some temp insurance then went out for a drive back to my apartment :)

Things left to do:
- the idle refuses to work. I've checked vacuum lines, it runs when I unplug the ICV but surges between 1k-1.5k rpm which is annoying. Could be the TPS
- wire up the electric fans. Turns out the fan Mashimoto "kit" comes with nothing :/ Gotta order the temp sensor and wiring kit seperately
- get timing done. Right now the CPS is on 0
- drop oil + coolant another time
- wash it ;)

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Glad to hear you got it driving. I don't think the picture links are working in the above posts.

Last edited:

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
I haven't picked up a kit yet but will get the temp prob mashimoto kit to wire up the fans. I was able to drive home without trouble since it was below freezing and I had the heater on full :)

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Authorized Seller
I haven't picked up a kit yet but will get the temp prob mashimoto kit to wire up the fans. I was able to drive home without trouble since it was below freezing and I had the heater on full :)
You can uses a Honda fan switch found in the d16 pretty sure the b series is the same then thread it in the oem thermostat houseing

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
@NashMan is there a good guide out there somewhere on how to wire up electric fans? I no longer have the twin aux fans installed so there is a plug sitting there right near the battery I could reuse.

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
Thinking I should wire up the driver's side electric fan to the same circuit as the A/C condenser fan switch, then the passenger fan which replaces the stock one to a thermal switch.

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
OK, still can't figure out the idle problem, but getting closer. I picked up a vacuum tester and tried a few spots around the engine.

Cold and at idle (ish ;))

FPR - 15mmHg
Back of Intake nipple - 15mmHg
Throttle body right side - 0
Throttle body left side (which goes to BOV) - 0

From what I've gathered on the internwebs, It should be around ~20mmHg at idle.

Potential problematic spots:
valve cover breathers - I replaced those with ugly generic coolant hoses
accordion hose to passenger metal tubing - I have an aftermarket metal turbo intake pipe and at the cross-pipe doesn't quite fit right, but it's new
cold start injector - I didn't have the gasket so use make-a-gasket to get the car running. Could be leaking
VSVs - I hear suction sound beneath the intake manifold at idle, but not sure if that's normal on cold start.

I checked all other vacuum lines and they're all connected fine and look OK.

Did some search - looks like on startup there should be no vacuum on startup to FRP via the vsv. Based on my measurements that's wrong. Looks like my FPR one is defective.

Last edited:

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
@shipkiller yeah I"ve tried to set the timing, but it's pretty tough with such a rough idle. Got it as close to 10 as possible. I'll pull out the CPS again and make sure I'm not off a tooth.