TobyCat's winter buildup

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
Well, the car's been down for about a month now due to ::bhg::

I finally got around to taking the head off of the car a few nights ago, and was a little worried about scoring on the cam journals, and pitting on the block. It looks like whoever did the last HG job when it blew (Toyota:icon_evil ) over torqued it, and #1 and #6 rings on the gasket were out of round. Well, there was my exhaust->coolant leak!

So this is how it sits now, waiting for the machine shop. The other thread http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49518 with my silly questions :)

Attachments

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Authorized Seller
quick qestion did you put any thing in you coolent jakest and oil jackets when you were scraping

i have all wasy used greas and used q tip after wors to gett all the shit out of my block

plus makes scarping the block very easy and faster ????

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
Nope, didn't put anything in the water jackets as I scraped everything wet with lube. Scrape scrape + wipe. Repeat 1000x.

Got the head back from the machine shop and everything looks really good. The head surface is crazy smooth! I polished up the cams with some scotch brite, and it turned out well. Got all that scoring out. I assembled everything but didn't do the final torque down ... didn't have any RTV for the #1 cam caps.

I measured the head height and it came out to *just* below 116mm (4.553")which is the factory thickness. So, that means that when the old guy I bought this supra from got his headgasket done in 1998, Toyota didn't even bother to get it machined. :icon_evil

Final pics is how I tucked the ol' supra away for the night ;)

Attachments

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Authorized Seller
umm idea do an oil chnage aftwords or at lest swap filter out

oil jakets are the most importian

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
Yup, that's the plan. Going to start it up with fresh water/oil and let it run for a bit. Drop the water/oil and refill the coolant and oil with good stuff.

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
2am home time, and almost done. Dang, took a bit longer than expected to get all that random crap back on. Should fire up tomorrow!

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
She's ALIVE! except I've got leaks of all sorts ;)

First fire up, was OK then noticed I was absolutely pissing fuel somewhere. That was easy to find, I didn't tighten the damn fuel dampener enough.

Next, fired it up and everything was OK...until it started to warm up slightly then coolant everywhere. I mean, WOW. After poking around, and filling up some coolant again I heard dripping. The coolant hose that goes underneath the throttle body popped off. Apparently I need to put a clamp on those :p Wow, that's tight access in there without taking the upper intake off.

Ok, fire it up again...and I watch the blanket that was over my fender flap a bit in the wind. I think to myself "I should move that" and right then it gets stuck into my fricken fan. OMFG. Good thing I turned it off in time. What an idiot move on my part :(

So some time later after taking off the belts and jazz (that blanket worked itself nicely in the alt belt) I got the blanket out and noticed that during all this the damn overflow hose/nipple broke. ARGH. So, I gotta tap that with some sort of brass fitting, or at the very worst buy NashMan's old rad. PLeH, more money.

Then, after I quadruple check everything, fired it up again. It runs really good, but I'm still smelling a faint fuel leak. Poke around, and the dampener is still leaking. It leaks out the top and what not, so I gotta buy a new one of those. Add on top of that, lots of the old hose clamps are weak from 20 years of sitting there, and hoses getting old, I've got a lot of twiddly stuff to do tomorrow.

But, I should have my car back soon!

Mrbaboon

Authorized Seller
Newb.

That was totally a 4 hour job.

Did you do your valve seals, you cold-start-oil-blasting-newb?

ahah.

At least you aren't rocking the tercy anymore.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Authorized Seller
TobyCat said:
She's ALIVE! except I've got leaks of all sorts ;)

First fire up, was OK then noticed I was absolutely pissing fuel somewhere. That was easy to find, I didn't tighten the damn fuel dampener enough.

Next, fired it up and everything was OK...until it started to warm up slightly then coolant everywhere. I mean, WOW. After poking around, and filling up some coolant again I heard dripping. The coolant hose that goes underneath the throttle body popped off. Apparently I need to put a clamp on those :p Wow, that's tight access in there without taking the upper intake off.

Ok, fire it up again...and I watch the blanket that was over my fender flap a bit in the wind. I think to myself "I should move that" and right then it gets stuck into my fricken fan. OMFG. Good thing I turned it off in time. What an idiot move on my part :(

So some time later after taking off the belts and jazz (that blanket worked itself nicely in the alt belt) I got the blanket out and noticed that during all this the damn overflow hose/nipple broke. ARGH. So, I gotta tap that with some sort of brass fitting, or at the very worst buy NashMan's old rad. PLeH, more money.

Then, after I quadruple check everything, fired it up again. It runs really good, but I'm still smelling a faint fuel leak. Poke around, and the dampener is still leaking. It leaks out the top and what not, so I gotta buy a new one of those. Add on top of that, lots of the old hose clamps are weak from 20 years of sitting there, and hoses getting old, I've got a lot of twiddly stuff to do tomorrow.

But, I should have my car back soon!

you did put 2 crush washer on the damper right one on top one below the caseing broek i have spare

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
Found all my coolant leaks, my friend came by with a coolant system pressure tester - awesome tool! Pump it up to 0.9 bar (13psi) and go around the whole system listening for air or looking for drips. Of course, the heater core<->block hose was leaking WAY down there...argh should have checked the hoses when the head was off ;)

Tomorrow = new fuel pulsation damper (thanks Nashman!) and it's back on the road.

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
Fuel pulsation damper installed, and no fuel leaks. I let the car idle up to operating temperature and looked for coolant/fuel leaks ... nothing! The only thing left to do now is time the car and drive it home.

Intothenight19

Crissaegrim
Authorized Seller
Cars looking fresh man, btw Nash's 92 is incredible.. You both have two beautiful MKIII's on your hands..

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
Hah, yes Ryan. Yes he did :p

Ummmmm, I haven't driven my car more than around the block for almost 2 years now? I think it may be time to get rid of Duane's "baby supra" ;)

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
It sure has been a long time since I've even thought about Supras, that's for sure! Anyways, I finally got rid of my little beater tercel and insured the Supra. It's been nearly 2 years since I parked her!

Anyways, here is how she sits now. I pulled the car out of storage and looking pretty dirty. Then today it snows, oh the irony of it all ;)

Attachments

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Authorized Seller
lol the snow suck's and now that my truck broek cna even go play in it

i sodl the last remaning of my car's
2002 325 bimmer is gone the 78 rabbit is gone

now i have jacked up 4runner wiht broken rear diff and axles bs

TurboToy-R

Authorized Seller
Oh my how can you sleep at night with it so dirty!!!!!

hehe j/k I miss my supra up in Alberta :( Hopefully will come down to the island for the end of April, we should go cruise!

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
Good to see you again John!

So after driving my car around for a month now a few things have crept up on me.

1. Clutch master died - replaced that and the slave last weekend
2. Front end 'creaks' going over bumps. It's driving me insane. I think I need to get it up on the hoist and lube up the bushings.
3. back end still clunks over bumps. I think the sway bar endlinks are toast. Gosh it's hard to warrant spending ~200 bucks on replace this little things
4. Transmission clunks when load is first applied. Drive shaft carrier bearing maybe?
5. Turbo is dying. Starting to wish I didn't sell that turbo a few years ago ;)

Ahh the joys of bringing cars out of storage...

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Authorized Seller
i am pretty sure 3 and 4 are related there chris someing thing is loose

creeking can be cause by bad ball joints or st installed with out greas

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Authorized Seller
i am pretty sure 3 and 4 are related there chris someing thing is loose

creeking can be cause by bad ball joints or st installed with out greas
yea could be ball joints mine are toast and they make front end makes noises also when i go over bumps

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
Well, I started this thread 9 years ago ;) I've had the car running nearly full time until about 1.5 years ago where I burnt a valve on #4 and lost most compression.

So, I've migrated over to a friend's garage and we're tearing it down, rebuilding the head and get it running again.

Current progress:
CRnh23lUcAI5QpR.jpg

Things left:
- Forgot about the ol' 12point ARP head stud nuts
- heaving a hell of time getting reverse light connector off of the wiring harness. I'm thinking about cutting then making a clip.

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
Got the head off and found a chunk missing out of a valve in #4. Guess that's where my compression went ;)

CSHmdLQUkAEAaMn.jpg

Now to find a shop in Vancouver to do the head work.

Things to order:
- BC Cams 264
- Full Ferrea valve set
- TMS 1.4M gasket (once I get confirmation head doesn't need much than a surfacing)
- Fluidyne Radiator and Flex-a-lite fan kit

Slap it all back together and get it running.

GC89

BoostRodeo
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Wow, haven't seen that on a 7m before. Our valves seem to be pretty malleable, I have seen them bent, dented ect but not 'broken'/

Any idea what the cause was?

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
I'm not really sure. I haven't had a chance to look at the pistons closely. Nothing is showing up in photos though.

Prism11

Authorized Seller
I have seen the same valve issue on a spare head I picked up awhile ago. Could be a burnt valve, check the valve lash on that valve. If there is no clearance, that would be the case and the valve just melted from being held open.

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
Finally got things moving in the right direction. Hopefully I'll get to assembly this week!

First off, this is what it looked like when we pulled it apart:
IMG_5887.jpg

Tons of carbon build up. The valve stem seals gave out ages ago and well - this proves how costly that was! The nick out of one of the valves is likely from the carbon build up and edges getting hot.
IMG_5903.jpg

With a little bit of scraping and plastic brushing with solvent, it cleaned up ok.
IMG_5907.jpg

But that deck is nowhere near good enough for a MHG. So I picked up a granite 9x12x5 machinist block that was good for 0.001" and started going to town.
IMAG2073.jpg

After many, *many* hours of lapping the bajaysus of the deck, it looks like this now.
IMG_0044.jpg

A couple hours at 400/600 grit and it'll be perfect.

I also just got the head back from the machine shop and it looks awesome! 264 BC cams, valves, retainers and a mild port. It looks like a beaut!
IMAG2078.jpg

Now I'm just sourcing all new hoses which is way more $$ than I expected.

TobyCat

Authorized Seller
Alright, finally got some time to finish up the deck. Went all the way up to 800 grit and it's a beaut.

IMG_0231.JPG

I have one earplug that is dangerously close to falling in ... It's in one of the tiny water jacket holes. I think I'll plug up the other holes with tape and put a compressor on the hole next to it and try and tweezers it out. eeek!

@NashMan - here is another angle. I can take a few more.

IMAG2079.jpg