Tips to straighten out deformed front lip?

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
Started poking around with the front lip and associated hardware on my '89 this weekend. I have the lip out and painted, but I'd also like to restore its original form if possible. You can see in the attached pic where it has deformed in the front center, and it won't straighten out enough when bolted back on. Has anyone already tackled this and found something that worked well? Otherwise, thinking I'll search for a long, flat and thin piece of metal next time I'm at Home Depot, and glue it on the inner center side to reinforce the plastic and straighten it out at the same time.

Also, anyone happen to have a spare upper bracket (second pic) in good condition? Three of the bolts sheared off and I have failed so far to get them out without damaging the threads.

painted lip.jpg

lip upper bracket.jpg

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Only thing off the top of my head to reshape plastic.
Heat gun and a brace system to hold the new shape while cooling back down.

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
I do have a heat gun and was considering that might be part of the solution as well.

Just looking into this, I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be any aftermarket OEM replicas. Even the SW20 MR2 has a supply of those available.

Bru

Authorized Seller
Mine is wavy too. I guess it's common. If the metal support is bent, you can use a light metalworking hammer to try and straighten it out.