This 1jz wants to come alive!

Supra mn

Authorized Seller
QUICK READ: My 1jz swapped MK3 cranks but won't start! I rarely post but I'm at a loss here. Any advice?

Hey guys! It's been a long time since I've been on the forums and most of you probably don't know me as I rarely posted, but I've learned alot from just lurking. I've had my white package '89 7m for about 7 years now, (damn it's been that long?) and I've grown very familiar with the engine and the car as a whole.

I recently picked up an '87 5 speed with a 1jz swap, and here lies my issue. It just won't start.. a little background on the car:
-Several previous owners ago, the car was 1jz swapped (by a shop, have tons of paperwork for this car)
-Was running a standalone, the previous owner bought without it (after a test drive; it WAS running) and sourced a factory ECU, which is how i bought it
-After replacing injectors (see below) it cranks and cranks like it wants to start.. sounds like any car right before it actually fires up

What I've done so far:
-Checked all fuses visually and with multimeter
-Replaced grey injectors with factory yellow tops (it didn't have a resistor pack)
-Verified fuel pressure (via AFPR guage) and that injectors click when cranking
-Verified power to ignitor, power to coils, resistance on coils are in spec, and spark is occuring
-Verified timing is set to 0* TDC
-Verified wiring at ecu (missing a wire at switched power, this could be my issue)
-Verified part number on ecu, 5 speed JZA70
-Resistance on Cam Position Sensors are in spec, could not gain access to Crank Postion Sensor at the moment
Pretty much followed all the diagnostics I could within the MKIV TSRM. I haven't been able to find a whole lot of wiring diagrams for the 1jz, just what wiring is necessary to swap one into a MK3.

What I think it could be:
-The switched power wire at the ECU needs to be addressed. There are also 3 wires hooked into the ECU that are not annotated on the 1JZ pinout
-A possibility of aftermarket cams being installed and not properly adjusted for the factory ECU, throwing off valve timing? Only mechanical thing I can think of.
-The IACV was replaced with the Driftmotion relocation kit utilizing the Ford 2 wire IACV, which cannot be controlled by the facotry ECU. It should still start (with terrible idle) if I hold the throttle down, which it does not.
-Weak spark from a dying ignitor?

Anything I'm just blatently missing here?

f00g00

Authorized Seller
Contributor
codes?
You can read out the sensors right from the ECU and see if they are good.
You need switched power so check the EFI fuse.

Supra mn

Authorized Seller
Seems like this forum is dead, but i got it figured out.

Clean or replace your damn spark plugs.. dirty plugs = weak spark which can cause a crank-no start condition.

f00g00

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Set your gap to around .028. They would have to be in really bad condition to not even sputter.

Supra mn

Authorized Seller
Set your gap to around .028. They would have to be in really bad condition to not even sputter.
I checked gap when I had them out cleaning them, right on .028. They had some serious carbon buildup that I disregarded the first time I checked spark. Little gas and a toothbrush and they cleaned right up.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Open the Ecu and see if it has any burnt spots.

Crank sensor connector is by alternator

f00g00

Authorized Seller
Contributor
You running the twins or single? Do you have an AFR guage? The plugs shouldn't get so fouled that it won't run. Sounds like it is pig rich.