Thinking about learning to ride!!!

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
I've been thinking for awhile of learning to ride a motorcycle. I've always loved the Suzuki motorcycles! Will be going to the local classes not but 20 mins from my place. I know I shouldnt start on a more powerful bike so I was thinking of the suzuki gsxr600.

Any advice! Thoughts! Recommendations!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I learned on a Ninja 500 and I thought that was perfect. The 4 cyl sport bikes are MUCH more powerful than the 2 cyl 500's and under. I'd find a 2 cyl 500 to learn on. A gsxr600 is a freakin' rocketship for a beginner. I wouldn't recommend it.

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Authorized Seller
had a Yamaha FZR600R my first bike, I grew up ridign dirt bikes a lot. A Sport bike is nothing like a dirt bike for handling at high speeds.
I weigh 165 lbs I Would never need anything over a 600, it didn't even react like there was a rider on it!
Nothing wrong with starting on a 600 just respect what you're about to climb onto.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Yeah I've seen way too many accidents involving dumb choices on a bike. And with a family I know it would be wise not to go and get hurt or possibly kill myself. As my dad told me when I first started driving a car and I use this till today. He said " every time you get behind the wheel, think that no one else knows what they are doing and watch your own ass". I've not be involved in any accidents in the 12 years I've been driving because of what my dad passed onto me. I will 100% use that while learning to ride. And I will definitely have an experience rider with me until I'm able to comfortably ride.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
I feel like I have a healthy fear of other drivers and so have avoided bikes for the most part. I wouldn't mind something for touring/maybe some track stuff, but I dunno, just isn't really for me. I prefer 4 wheels.

Jeff

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I waited to start riding to be sure I was mature enough not to kill myself.

I stopped riding because I was very, very aware that anyone around me could kill me through no fault of my own with very minor mistakes. I've known a few people in person to have been injured and known a few online that were killed on motorcycles due to other driver errors. I didn't expect that mentality to take over, but it did as soon as I started riding on major highways. You're letting other people gamble with your life. I bought my Ninja 500 expecting to trade up to a 600-1000cc in a year. Instead I sold the 500 and still haven't bought its replacement years later.

Being in a fender bender in a car is annoying, but a similar accident on a bike could kill you.

I still want to get a 1000cc+ at some point just to have access to that sort of speed, but it may be a while.

I forget which administration it was, but they have great breakdowns of motor vehicle fatalities. Per mile, motorcyclists are/were 25 times more likely to be killed on the road than car/truck/SUV drivers. I don't enjoy motorcycles 25 times more than the Supra. I'm sure wearing proper gear and not being an idiot reduce the odds, but I doubt they drop it by a factor of 10.