Things to look out for on a Used Mk3 7MGTE Supra?

Hey guys!

New to the forum so hopefully I'm posting in the right area and not breaking any rules ;)

I'm looking at trading my current car for a Mk3 Supra. The supra has always been a legendary platform to me and I'm super excited to go take a look at it. I'm not too familiar with the Mk3 Model however and figured I'd ask the pros about particular things to look out for! I've attached pictures of the car below, car is located in Connecticut and seems super clean for a East Coast car (At least in pictures).

Here is a list of the Modifications/ Maintinence done to the car:
  • 7mgte with a cometic metal head gasket, arp head studs(both done 3xxx miles ago and the block and head were decked)
  • New bottom end bearings when the oil pump was shimmed
  • Led headlights
  • Discontinued BOMEX kit
  • Manual boost controller
  • Hks SSQV 3 bov
  • Big intercooler
  • Koyorad 3 row radiator
  • Aeromotive FPR catch can
  • 550cc injectors
  • Walbro 225 fuel pump
  • Full 3” turbo back tanabe exhaust
  • Aem afr gauge, oil pressure gauge, boost gauge, coolant temp gauge
  • MAFT pro tuner
  • Aftermarket lower control arms
  • Act 6 puck clutch
  • 1 piece custom driveshaft
  • Solid trans mount
  • R154 tranny
  • Upgraded springs
  • Upgraded P/S, brake lines, oil cooler lines and turbo lines
  • Aodhan ds02 18
I like what I see, everything seems very solid here however did have a few questions. The MAFT Pro Tuner. I've tried to do a lot of research on this and I run into dead ends all the time. Does anyone have information about this? From what I can gather its primarily used to piggyback onto the stock ecu and helps run the bigger injectors that the car has. From what the seller has told me it runs great but guess I'll be able to check that from the AFR gauge...

If I did end up getting the car, first thing i'd be looking into would be a standalone ecu. I've been looking at a couple of options is there a general consensus on what to use? From what I've been looking at so far its gone down to AEM EMS v2 or the ECUmaster Emu.

Any comments for things to check out for, or Ecu advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks guys!

Attachments

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Looks good.

For ECU, talk to local tuners (unless you're tuning it yourself) to see what they are comfortable with. With that said, I'd stay away from the v2 unless you get a really good deal on one, just because it's older and will likely lose support from AEM like they did with the v1. I'm looking at the ECUMaster Black and Link G4+ for my car.

Looks good.

For ECU, talk to local tuners (unless you're tuning it yourself) to see what they are comfortable with. With that said, I'd stay away from the v2 unless you get a really good deal on one, just because it's older and will likely lose support from AEM like they did with the v1. I'm looking at the ECUMaster Black and Link G4+ for my car.
Honestly I would love to look into tuning the car myself, has always been an aspect that I'd like to get into. Coming from the Subaru world where the car tries to nuke itself if you put a mod on without a tune these cars definitely seem like a better platform to learn on. I'll definitely look into the ECUMaster black though!!

I was talking with someone familiar with tuning 2Jz motors and they mentioned that I might have to convert from the Distributor and move to a Coil System? From what I can tell though it doesn't seem like the 7MGTE uses a distributor but only the N/A Model? I don't know still something i'm going to need to look into more.

Thank you for the help though!

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
the turbo uses a cam position sensor (CPS). You can use that with a standalone, or switch to Driftmotions Digital CPS, or run a trigger wheel, etc etc.

f00g00

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Just for your info the Koyorad is a 2 row radiator, but they are larger than stock.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
If you can, inspect the rear subframe for cracks. The 89+ ones are stronger than pre-89, but still can crack. Search the forum for more details.