The Official Survivalist Thread

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
lol

I thought I was the only one posting so I wasn't in a hurry... I'll snap one tomorrow if I go back there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
No big rush, just keeping conversation up. That and I like cabins. :)

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
The cabin... I can give descriptions when I'm back at work... these are just from when we were fishing.

Attachments

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Love it! :D

I haven't done anything new or exciting this year. I've added two more laying pullets - a barred rock and another Easter-egger. We've been working on so many other projects that have desperately needed to get done, I'm not even doing a garden this year (and this makes me a sad panda).

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
OK, Pic 1: standing on the bridge looking S at the cabin.

Pic #2: Looking N from the bridge.

Pic #3: Looking W at the bridge

Pic #4: East side of the pond, looking over the dam down to the bottom where the deer/turkey like to hang out. (and where I'll be planting some food plots for said critters...)

Pic #5: The ducks in their pool... 7/10 pictures.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
And if you haven't seen on HT...

I'm also dealing with this.

So far there are 3 hens involved and one of the ducks... the duck straight up come at you if you walk into the coop. But all it does is "bite" my pants at worst. At last count, there were 27 eggs between all of them. Who knows how many are in there... that was everyone's favorite box.

Attachments

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
"I find that a duck's opinion of me is greatly influenced over whether or not I have bread. Bread is the greatest joke on the duck... See, ducks love bread, but they do not have the capacity to buy a loaf."

-paraphrased from a Mitch Hedburg skit. :)

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller

Attachments

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
You know what a crappy problem to have is...?

We're weeding tomato seedlings out of our broc/cauli rows from last years dropped tomatoes.

I swear there are 1,000 Roma seedlings popping up. They're starting to choke out the chick weed. lol

and an update on the broodies:
I'm 0 for 36 thus far. I've got two hens sitting on 6 eggs each, I split them up and moved them to different boxes... Talk about a PITA(arms)!

I found 2 that I had marked that one of them had kicked out... no idea why, but I cracked them open and neither had even started. I think I'll be using an incubator from here on out. This is annoying.

Almost took out a rooster today, I let them all out and he made a charge on my 2 year old and then just stopped a foot from him. Had a shovel in my hand ready to drop a boot and make him a few inches shorter. Then he just casually walked away like nothing had even happened.

I also put one of the pekins out on the pond. It was in heaven, that's for sure. I ended up having to leave him out and hoped that he'd make it through the night. He was back up at the coop when I got home at 02:30 like a good boy/girl.

The house got appraised on Tuesday... so we'll hear back about that in a few weeks. Any guesses on what it will appraise for?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
So I'm up to 7 babies now...

Other updates:
* We have, no kidding, no less than 500 tomato plants that I'll be tilling under if I can't give them away... I've asked EVERYONE I know if they want them, I've probably given away a hundred more and transplanted 2 16 foot rows of them spaced like 4" apart. (will thin when they are obviously going to survive the transplant, as we weren't super delicate with them.)

* we're up to 7 baby chicks now, but down 3 adults... One of the old, old hens went off by herself and died, and Ol' Red the rooster destroyed the other 2 roosters. He's a mean sumbich, but I've been free-ranging the birds to help with feed costs and I feel better having him out there. I've got a plastic fence post that I carry out by the coop that's got a yellow end on it, he's been hammered by it a "few" times and I can now just point the yellow part at him and he'll keep his distance. It's way more entertaining watching the momma teach the little ones how to do everything. This afternoon was their first trip out (that I know of) and they had no idea wtf was going on. natalie is trying to talk me into reducing the size of the flock to save money, but I think free ranging is the answer instead... I know that the chickens hardly touch the feed but the ducks are too dang lazy and would rather eat it so I just fill it up every other day or so... they've got plenty of room to forage for whatever. Maybe we'll feed them tomato plants?

* my FIL went halfsies and won an auction on a CNG compressor... so once we get a free minute to head out to PA to get it, we may be doing come more converting... Will be nice driving the CNG van for "free", and then actually 100% free once we get the generators up and running 100%.

* Storm knocked down the big barn, so we're out a place to keep the tractors and what not for now. But the place looks 10x better w/o it and all the junk that was in it.

* still waiting on the appraisal to come back so we can get on with the moving process.

* we went in with my family ('rents, brother, and sister) and bought an old pontoon boat for the summer, so we're hoping to do some serious fishing this summer and have some fun while we can. It's the $100 mkII Supra equivelant of a pontoon, anyway... lol

Sorry for the rambling... long day at work.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Just needs a bear skin and some bare skin... right?
What you did there... I see it. :naughty:

Seriously though man, that's a beautiful house. Around here a pond like that would merely be a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Just heard back from the appraisal... came in at $215, we were expecting $220... So now we get to make a trip to the bank. We found out that her parents are "gifting" us all of the equity in their house to save us a bit of money (may save us .5% on $100k of the loan... not too shabby) of course we have to pay them back... that goes of course with saying that going this route will save us money in the long run.

Also, we need more chickens. My wife got a foothold in the egg business at the hospital she works at... we've got more orders for the next week than I could fill in a month. To top it off, there's a few people who want JUST duck eggs... and I haven't been able to find where the ducks are laying recently. :(

Ducks:
Free range manure spreaders... on your yard, in the garden, on your porch, in your garage... Sheesh.

5 of the baby chicks have made it... I bet I found 10 dead ones, so it's hard telling how many actually hatched. So I learned something for next year, thats for sure. SEPERATE THEM FROM THE FLOCK. lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I'm a little envious of your housing market sir. That's about the entry level around here for a house that isn't attached to neighbors. Included in your ~200k home is a house built sometime within the last 50 years, on approximately 1/5 acre, which is probably either dirt, or a bit of dirt, spiders, and small trees/grass. :p

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Welp... something took out the flock tonight apparently. Got a text from the wife saying that she only found 6 hens and the rooster. No chicks or anything. She said one had a bite out of her and was not doing well, so we'll say 5 + the rooster. Still have all 13 ducks, AFAIK.

*sigh*

I'm guessing it was a dog(s)... Not sure if it's a foreign or domestic "terrorist", probably the latter.

I need to find a water loving duck once we get moved back to the cabin and just make the switch to ducks like I've been talking for the past year. That or when I move the coop, I'm going to make the run completely, 100% predator proof and leave the chickens in there and just go back to feeding them... or reducing them down to 4-5 hens for our own use and calling it a day. I was STOKED to actually be making some money by selling the eggs, though. I wanted SOOOOO bad to bring in ~$100/month (eventually) to cover my bike payment.

I'll be filling up the incubator with eggs from this week to bring in replacements for next year...

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Ugh that sucks. :(

Everyone seems to swear by a hot fence for the most part, although that certainly won't keep hawks or owls away.

So nothing new here really, aside from the fact that I'm getting super duper extra serious about saving money for a down payment on a farm. I hope that in 2 years, we can have a decent down payment...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Welp... something took out the flock tonight apparently....
Sorry to hear that bud. How do you make it 100% predator proof though, chicken wire on the top, underneath, and on all sides?

Everyone seems to swear by a hot fence for the most part, although that certainly won't keep hawks or owls away.

So nothing new here really, aside from the fact that I'm getting super duper extra serious about saving money for a down payment on a farm. I hope that in 2 years, we can have a decent down payment...
Hot fence as in electric shock, or hot fence as in heated? Also, saw my first owl in person last winter. Holy. Crap. Those things are a lot bigger than I ever would have thought, given how little wildlife and/or trees we have around here...

Also, good luck on saving for the farm, I hear Herschel is having a fire sale on his. :)

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
First question:
In Georgia, is there such thing as a 24 hour gas station? I swear I wasted an hour looking for a place to get a coffee on my way through to Florida last week. lol

Garden:
It's mostly ready to rock. all the caging is up so hopefully we don't have the tons of wasted tomatos like last year. There were about a zillion green ones of assorted varieties ready to start turning red. We went to Florida all week and came back to a huge mess of weeds... hope to get that tamed tomorrow or later in the week.

*Picked, pickled, and gave away the first crop of cucumbers... First veggie crop of the year. (I don't eat salad much, so I don't count the greens)

*Corn, beans, pumpkins, broc/cauliflower, and sunflowers all seem to be doing quite well also.

*Still not sure about the brussel sprouts... last year was a huge failure (they didn't stay balled up like they are supposed to...) so I'll be doing more reading/research on preventing that from happening again.

*Talking with the bank on Thursday about the house. I went to look at some old 1900's victorians today, just to say I did before I'm stuck in this place for life. I effing LOVE old houses... There's a perfect one in town for half the price, but it's on 2% of the land. .2 acres vs 10... O well. I know for a fact we'll love it once we get back there and get settled in.

It's been an awesome 2 years being mortgage free. lol

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
What kind of beans? I did blue lake bush beans one year and they were awesome.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Tennessee something or other... lol. I don't remember.

We have a row of the blue lakes as well, I just hope they keep doing what they're doing.

Also, closing on the cabin in late September.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
No updates since August... sadness.

Bagged my first deer this fall (monster buck... 4 whole pts). We got ~80lbs of meat from it, mostly ground that we turned into jerky. NONE got put back, it was eaten dang near as fast as we could dehydrate it. The boys (3 & 5) LOVED it.

Chickens got eaten last night, so I'm taking year off. Ducks are leaving the heck out of the pond though... and the back porch, where they love to hang out/crapp all over. If they kep it up come Spring time, they are going bye-bye, per the wifey. Stupid ducks.

We finally got us a dog, Australian Shepard/Beagle mix:
1461807_10101596725077148_959153947_n.jpg

and... that's pretty much it.

Can not WAIT for it to warm up so we can start on the outside work around the farm here... Still no idea on where we'll be starting. :nono:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Loved the tomato crack (pardon the pun), that was funny man. :)

Do you guys have elk where you live? If so, try to get one of those when you're able and in season. Damned good eating...

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
No elk... Only whitetail.

Took my oldest out turkey scouting scouting and shed hunting. We had an awesome time just tromping through the woods. Came across a flock of 12+ birds in a field, an answered prayer. He thought it was just the coolest thing ever watching them. We hardcore failed at getting close (he was in a red jacket) but he loved watching and listening to them. He's hooked, no doubt.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Too bad man... elk is almost good enough to convince me to get into the animal sniping game they call "hunting" around here. I'd be up for learning a bow, but I'm a decent enough marksman, and have always been pretty aware of how to conceal my presence, that I don't think I'd have as much fun hunting as the people I know.

That said, if you can get your hands on some elk meat, I highly recommend it. Makes great spaghetti, steaks, roast, jerky, ground for whatever, etc...

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
No garden pics?!

Mine is doing pretty sweet. Getting almost a gal of strawberries a day from our little baby patch. Can't wait for the tomatoes.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Sorry bud, all we have in our yard at the moment is dirt. Landscaping will have to wait until next year so we can get a plan and budget together. Unless, I assume, you were talking to miss Theresa, in which case never mind. :p

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Just talking to whoever is out there listening... lol

Life has been CRAZY the past few months so the garden is kinda meh now that things are really coming in. Going to Florida for a week was just about the worst thing we could have done, but it was worth it.