The Official Survivalist Thread

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
We want to sell it and move closer to Mike's job, since he's currently commuting almost an hour and a half each way.

We haven't started any processes of anything yet, waiting 'til we have our ducks more in a row. :)

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
So...

if a 10 week old chick has it's skin snagged by a piece of metal and it sticks... they will pretty much skin themselves... She was fine (not impaled) when I went out around 9am, but by 2:30 she had torn damn near all of the skin off of her L side. it was CRAZY. I cut the bar off that she got caught on while it was still in the skin flap and set her on my butchering table and the little whore took off running! I spent the next 30 minutes chasing her through briars and finally caught her. Tried my damndest to ring her neck but I was 0 for 5, so I went with the never-fail route of decapitation.

Noticed one of my adult hens had a form of pasty butt starting, so I yanked out the problem feathers in hopes to remedy that problem. Checked 4 of the other hens for mites (read they may cause them to stop laying) and didn't see anything. Moved the ducks in, as worried as I was about the chickens attacking the ducks... the ducks went NUTS for about 3 minutes chasing the chickens and let them know who was boss, I suppose... After that they were all eating scratch and giving each other their space. I'll check on them tonight in hopes that they are all still BFFs.

I REALLY need to buy myself a .22... There better be something fun at the gun show I'm going to next weekend. (looking/hoping for a 10/22 charger) That would have been perfect for that poor pullet.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
17 days...

You should buy your chickens an acorn squash... or 20. We got a about 300lbs of them at the food pantry and no one wanted them, of course, so I took about 50 lbs home to them. THEY LOVED THEM. Just smash open on the ground and watch them come running. Even the ducks decided to get in on the action. Since the chickens are being worthless ATM, I'm going to start feeding them more scraps rather than "expensive" feed. I'm planning on hooking up a light/timer in the near future to see if I can get them out of this slump. This sucks BIG ONES. 18 chickens and no eggs (only 9 are laying age). 3 ducks and ussually 2 eggs.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Scored some more old school windows... planning to make a mini green house.

I've been doing a bit of woodworking (building the boys an indoor sandbox for Christmas... because I'm a friggin jeanyus) and think I can do it. I'm hoping to make it so that it all locks together with latches like THIS, only not $10/each so that when summer hits I can store them away flat for easy portability, but I'll probably end up just screwing it together and keeping it all "free".

Figure if I routed out a channel for them to sit in, made each side it's own seperate piece, add some bracing in the corners (4x4 post scraps)... Should be easy enough, right?

I may even have enough panes for 2 of these if I make them a bit smaller.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Little guy doing well? :)

-------

So, I've been being a total va-jeen about processing any rabbits, since they're just so effing adorable.

...one of my does attacked me today. My hands look like ground beef. Had I the time or energy to process an animal today, it would have received my .22 between the eyes. Well, now that I cannot in good conscience sell or give this animal away, I MUST process it, as soon as I have time. -_-

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Little guy doing well? :)

-------

So, I've been being a total va-jeen about processing any rabbits, since they're just so effing adorable.

...one of my does attacked me today. My hands look like ground beef. Had I the time or energy to process an animal today, it would have received my .22 between the eyes. Well, now that I cannot in good conscience sell or give this animal away, I MUST process it, as soon as I have time. -_-
James is doing VERY well. He's up 2+ lbs since his discharge... Had a sweat test to rule out CF 100% done that came back normal, thank God. So apparently he just had an extra twist in his gut that twisted a bit too much and caused the whole mess.

I went for a physical thursday to make sure I was fit enough to donate bone marrow to a guy in Louisville, that was fun. They put me up in a $300/night room down town since I waited until the last minute to request a room rather than fight the AM traffic... OMG, I never want to stay in a cheap room again. I'll be donating January 16. Can't wait. (non-sarcastic, for a change)

Back to gardening:
1- My brussel sprouts aren't keeping nice and tight mini-cabages... They've almost completely leafed out. There are quite a few good ones, but several plants are like bushes. The ducks/chickens seemed to love them, though.

2- Still bringing in Broccoli and harvested my last head of cauliflower. So friggin good.

3- Debating on what to do with the windows: Should I make a semi-portable greenhouse ~6'Lx6'Wx3'H or make a 3'x3'x2' box and have 6' worth of row cover (glass covered like /\ ) ?

I see benefits of both designs, first option: could extend my tomato growing season by months, but would be limited to what I could fully grow in it. The second, I could direct plant more stuff EARLIER but not extend the season into fall/winter. Both would have gallon jugs filled with water and large rocks to help retain some of the heat over nights.

I'm ubar excited about planting time, btw... Hoping to bring in a TON of stuff from the garden this year.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Not sure, since I don't have any fruit trees (yet).

Someone on the Gardening forum on Homesteading Today could tell you. :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
What does this to Apple trees, btw...?
You talking about the dead looking ground underneath it, or the barren looking tree? I was going to suggest deer, until I saw the ground looking like that. No idea now.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
You talking about the dead looking ground underneath it, or the barren looking tree? I was going to suggest deer, until I saw the ground looking like that. No idea now.
That's my mulch... :(

Apparently it's a flippin squirrel. Didn't get ANYTHING at the gunshow, so I may just have to use the muzzleloader on one. Should only take one direct hit to get the point across.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
That's my mulch... :(

Apparently it's a flippin squirrel. Didn't get ANYTHING at the gunshow, so I may just have to use the muzzleloader on one. Should only take one direct hit to get the point across.
...open mouth, insert foot. Haha, sorry about that man, wasn't really sure what I was supposed to be looking at, meant no offense.

Got a squirrel gnawing on your tree then? Much as I appreciate them (great entertainment), if you really need to rid yourself of them, a .22 of pretty much any sort would suffice. I can only imagine a muzzle loader would be like using a 20lb sledge to drive in trim nails... Might be good practice for your bow skills. ;)

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
2012 can DIAF.. just brought Natalie to the ER for rlq pain... it's appendicitis and that mofo is coming out.

This may have been my EOTWAIKI had I not insisted we come... suck it Mayans!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Anyone else surprised we woke up today?

Maybe I'll put an offer in on a house today..

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
You ever had one of those days... then you open something like this?

This was just for his room...
Err... again, this was all covered by insurance past your deductible, right? If not, I think I'll keep this post in mind the next time someone asks me why I'm so convinced kids aren't for me...

Anyone else surprised we woke up today?
Err... have a bit to drink, or that whole apocalypse nonsense?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Err... again, this was all covered by insurance past your deductible, right? If not, I think I'll keep this post in mind the next time someone asks me why I'm so convinced kids aren't for me...

Err... have a bit to drink, or that whole apocalypse nonsense?
Yeah, and since only I work we only had to pay $300 of our deductible. I think it's because my wife worked there more than anything, but I'm not complaining either way.

And yes, it was an end of the world joke. Although if I drank more than 1 beer I would probably be just as surprised.

Here's to a full week off!

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
I've fed my effing birds no less than $100 worth of fresh organic salads in the last week and still have no eggs... (all for free from the food pantry- we had SOOOOO much stuff after christmas that we couldn't even talk people into "maybe using", everyone goats/pigs/chickens were living the good life) I'm considering actually just eating these stupid things.

Went deer hunting the past 3 days (season is now over) with the muzzle loader-Saw probably 15 deer all with their tails waving goodbye. Walked rather than sat in a tree stand. Almost had a shot, but it turned out to be a buck and I only had antlerless. *sigh* I think next year I'll be walking the entire season. It was awesome exercise and my ADD didn't have a chance to kick in.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
I'm still running off of an extension cord, and keeping them alive (liquid water) is slightly more important than eggs.

Burning down the house or coop doesn't seem worthwhile either. lol

More kinda crappy news, btw:
So I was supposed to start my injections so I could donate PBSC (think bone marrow) to someone on Friday and I came down with a wicked case of the flu or something so it is being post-poned by a week. Which REALLY pisses me off as I am almost never, EVER this sick and the one time I need to be in top shape I keep having to break myself out of these ~103' fevers. I can't convince the folks that IDGAF how miserable being sick + the injections will make me but I did NOT want to have to post-pone things because of me.

But I guess the moral of the story would be: Better me than the kids. I pretty much run away from them when I'm home and they are awake. I have my laptop, minecraft, and a PS3 on a 120" screen... actually... it's not such a bad deal when I type it out like that.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I offloaded all of my rabbits today. Gave all 6 of them to a lady who wanted them.

Rabbits aren't for me. They're hard to care for, and the smell like a cross between skunk and male cat piss.

...but dammit, they're too cute to eat.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Chinchillas are far superior in all things - smell (they really have none), personality, and ease of care. So if you decide to go that route, let me know; I will find a breeder for you. :)

They tend to be a owner-must-be-10yr- old-and-up sort of animal, however.

But god, when I first got my pair of rabbits, I tried to keep them in the house. Even if I cleaned the cages every day, my house still reeked. I've had 16 chinchillas at my maximum, and the house never smelled.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Meh, I'd rather get him a nice, big dog to watch over him and his brothers when they get older... There's a breeder for German Sheps 1/2 mile from us. I'm considering that in a year or two. That way when I have to take care of it it can atleast be something that will visibly enjoy seeing me at 2am every morning... and they don't need pwder baths.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Supraman, sorry to hear about the sickness. Some nasty shit going around lately, even my dad was feeling rather ill, first time in about 15 years now... at least you kept yourself entertained. :)

DT, is it acceptable to put small capes on chinchillas? If so, cutest infestation ever! :p

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Meh, I'd rather get him a nice, big dog to watch over him and his brothers when they get older... There's a breeder for German Sheps 1/2 mile from us. I'm considering that in a year or two. That way when I have to take care of it it can atleast be something that will visibly enjoy seeing me at 2am every morning... and they don't need pwder baths.
Enghf. I really abhor American-bred German Shepherds these days. Hyper, brainless things for the most part.

If you do plan on using that breeder, just make sure they offer health guarantees. I know GSD's tend to have bad hips, but I think they also tend to have bad elbows and eye problems, if I recall correctly.

Also, yes, it is acceptable to put capes on chinchillas, although I have not yet found any to fit. I wanted an eye patch for Una the One-Eyed Wonder Chinchilla, but have not yet found one. :)

[video=youtube;5hDg3yzGV7M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hDg3yzGV7M[/video]

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Enghf. I really abhor American-bred German Shepherds these days. Hyper, brainless things for the most part.

If you do plan on using that breeder, just make sure they offer health guarantees. I know GSD's tend to have bad hips, but I think they also tend to have bad elbows and eye problems, if I recall correctly.
What would you recommened? NO labs of any type...

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
What are you looking for in a dog?

Herding? Guarding of flock or family? Activity level?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Family/flock Guard... something that's active at the appropriate times (mainly- not nocturnal)
Something that would play with the boys well and follow them everywhere.
I love beagles, but think something a bit larger would be nice. I want something that if the boys were out in the woods and they ran across a stray the dog could fight the other dog off if it came down to it.
Most importantly, it needs to be smart and listen well. I'm over the stupid dogs that we are currently surrounded by. I understand that a lot of this is training the dog from the get go, and I'm willing to put forth the effort, but dogs that are too dumb to learn to stay out of the house and garage just annoy the crapp out of me.

The dog will be outside 99.99% of the time.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Also, yes, it is acceptable to put capes on chinchillas, although I have not yet found any to fit. I wanted an eye patch for Una the One-Eyed Wonder Chinchilla, but have not yet found one. :)

[video=youtube;5hDg3yzGV7M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hDg3yzGV7M[/video]
Reminds me of something...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_Meow

Sadly, there was only one episode produced so far. But that one episode... wow.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Family/flock Guard... something that's active at the appropriate times (mainly- not nocturnal)
Something that would play with the boys well and follow them everywhere.
I love beagles, but think something a bit larger would be nice. I want something that if the boys were out in the woods and they ran across a stray the dog could fight the other dog off if it came down to it.
Most importantly, it needs to be smart and listen well. I'm over the stupid dogs that we are currently surrounded by. I understand that a lot of this is training the dog from the get go, and I'm willing to put forth the effort, but dogs that are too dumb to learn to stay out of the house and garage just annoy the crapp out of me.

The dog will be outside 99.99% of the time.
German Shepherd might not be a bad bet - meet the dogs of your neighbors who are selling puppies. If they're not arr-tarded, and the owners offer health guarantees, go for it.

I would have suggested a Great Pyrenees, but they tend to be nocturnal.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
If you ever go to get a central line... do NOT do it without local. Omfg... my philosophy of "feel a stick to numb or feel a stick it's done" is not the best one for this. lol

The injections for the marrow donations however, have proven to be 99% painless, especially when compared to how they described the side effects to me. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. (www.marrow.org if you aren't already signed up and are willing to go through it.)

So I'll be hooked to a machine for the day, probably playing minecraft or looking for more birds to order.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
I did get a sweet walking dead shirt out of it...

Called the receptionist at the hotel and assured here that there had not been a murder in room 201.

I'd still do it all again, though.

Attachments

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
So our plan is to buy the ol' homestead and kick the in-laws out... (not really, her aunt in the back 40 is wanting to sell her place and it's too small for the wife 'n kids, so her 'rents will be moving back there...)

We're in talks with my uncle about "storing" his huge bulldozer out here for a while and taking down all of the crapp trees that cover the property currently. Then making the pond even larger and replanting a few hundred oaks, hickorys, maples, and some ornamentals for my wife. I spent the better part of the weekend riding my new bike (drz400) and the rest clearing brush from around the chicken coop. I barely put a dent into what needs to be done. FML, for sure.

Hoping to start making a frame for the glass row covers, but I doubt I'll get around to it soon. Not like I'll be direct planting anything anytime soon anyway.

Got an emergency lesson in well pumps last week, it just up and quit. Got talked through how to check things out via telephone from my FIL... Fun stuff. Ended up just being a bad switch, but I atleast have an idea on how it's set up now.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Clearance ducks @ TSC...

The wife is not amused. (I couldn't talk them into a better deal taking them all (23) so I ended up with only 10 @ $1.25 each.) I broke a pin on the tiller this afternoon, so I may try and talk them into the rest when I go to pick up a replacement or maybe some more chickens... Who knows?

Speaking of, we're also tilling up the garden to get that going. w00t!

We also decided to take over the cabin on the farm... I'll post pics eventually. It's kind of a no-brainer.