The Official Survivalist Thread

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
There were a ton of feathers in the coop... stupid things are probably molting.

There were 15 duck eggs in the yard though. It's very tempting to make the switch.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
That DOES seem to be going around.

Fun fact: rabbits molt like chickens do. I thought BuddyBunny had something wrong with him, so I picked over him thinking he had a fungus, and then his hair grew back. Now, Boobs looks moth-eaten.

Mike and I put up 55 gallons of water yesterday, will do another 55 this coming weekend. Looking to get our hands on a 55 gallon drum for gasoline. Luckily, there's a guy not too far from here that sells refurbished ones.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Mike and I put up 55 gallons of water yesterday, will do another 55 this coming weekend. Looking to get our hands on a 55 gallon drum for gasoline. Luckily, there's a guy not too far from here that sells refurbished ones.
I forget, do you guys happen to have a pickup, or just the Explorer/Expedition/Expewhatever? If so, I would recommend looking into the in-bed auxiliary fuel tanks. A small one is at least 50 gallon, many of them are 100+. Used to sell them at a job I had way back when. The diesel guys would fill up with fuel maybe once every 1500 miles or so.

Another fun fact: Precede the name of your favorite Ford with the word "anal". With a couple exceptions (F-series trucks, RS200, etc), it makes for a fun game. ;)

Thought you all might enjoy my view...
Reminds me of the field beside my grandma's house when I was a kid. Apparently I used to ride her golden retriever like a horse through said fields. Lot better looking than my "yard", that's for sure!

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Tested out my wool blankets last night... low of 40 with steady light rains. Had two relatively thin (imo) ones and was nice and toasty all night with just my boxers on (I cannot sleep in pants or socks).

I only woke up to the sound of others bitching about being cold. I'm a believer now.

Then spent all morning shooting. The muzzle loader is shooting 8" groups with me shooting while kneeling. Two targets, 4 shots each. Still wanting a .22 :(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Wool makes for an awesome cold weather protection if you can put up with it. Some people can't, but it never bothered me.

That muzzle loader... how far is your target? 8" is as good as a miss isn't it?

Oh, and I told ya the Ford game is fun. :) "Anal Ranchero", sounds classy!

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Wool makes for an awesome cold weather protection if you can put up with it. Some people can't, but it never bothered me.

That muzzle loader... how far is your target? 8" is as good as a miss isn't it?

Oh, and I told ya the Ford game is fun. :) "Anal Ranchero", sounds classy!
For my unsteady hand, 8" is shooting bullseyes like robin hood...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Haha, I gotcha man. Marksmanship was one thing I've been lucky to be blessed with. Unfortunately I don't have the eyesight to match. Kinda hard to shoot what you can't see too well, huh? :p

Are we talking a ball and powder rifle, like an old musket, or a breakover type? I'm not terribly familiar with muzzle loaders. I thought that's where you inserted the bullet into the same end it comes out of?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Are we talking a ball and powder rifle, like an old musket, or a breakover type? I'm not terribly familiar with muzzle loaders. I thought that's where you inserted the bullet into the same end it comes out of?
Yeah, it's the new style with the 209 primers. It shoots sabboted (sp?) bullets, but not round balls. I've been reading that sabbotless bullets can really tighten things up, but haven't tried them yet... waiting until I shoot my last 3.

My tree stand has a front bar on it I can use as a rest. So shots that count will be much more stable.

My old manager is having her annual chicken killing party with the Amish next Saturday... Hoping I can make it so they can show me how to dress a turkey somewhat correctly. I'd like for it to stay pretty rather than just get the job done like we did with chickens. Fingers crossed. I gotta admit though, I am kinda scared about trying to stuff one into a box/cage though... Found out my new manager raises goats and has a goat that is pregnant that they don't want the kid... Sadly, Now is not the time to spend that kind of money or time on getting prepared for.

Baby James is still doing good. He's having issues with hydration and he has lost a few ounces of weight since the weekend. Everything he eats pretty much just goes right through him... which is concerning them and probaly the reason for the other issues. The repeat newborn screen came back negative for CF. Woot. The plan for now is to reattach in 2 weeks and hope hes out of the hospital in 6-8.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Monday will be surgery #2, hopefully the last one...

If things go absolutely perfect he could be home by Thanksgiving. We all have our doubts about that happening, but it would be ubar awesome.

We're up to $100k without including "room and board", hoping I get my Obama iPhone5 soon.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Monday will be surgery #2, hopefully the last one...

If things go absolutely perfect he could be home by Thanksgiving. We all have our doubts about that happening, but it would be ubar awesome.

We're up to $100k without including "room and board", hoping I get my Obama iPhone5 soon.
Hope all goes well for the little guy. And 100k... for everything up to this point? :aigo: How much of that is insurance covering?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Yeah, $100k, but that's not including the $6k/day for his room, I think we're at day 40.

I'm told that our max out if pocket is $2,000 so obviously that's what I'm expecting to pay.

In the grand scheme off things, if I have to pay $1 a day or $500 a month for the rest of my life, so be it.

He's npo (nothing by mouth) from now until his surgery, so it's going to be a long night trying to keep him calm.

The other boys met him again last week, the younger one held him and wouldn't give him up. Friggin adorable...

Attachments

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Speaking of bright eyed and bushy tailed, he certainly looks happy as can be. Hope everything goes well for you guys, physically, spiritually, and financially during all this. :)

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
That little bugger is a trooper. He looks great.

----------------------

On topic-

Now that His Majesty has kept his throne, and QE3 is projected to reach $1 trillion, we should all get down to business on staying afloat during this crap. Inflation is coming, kids. So is high unemployment (I've already heard of a pantload of business laying off several employees because the employer cannot afford to pay for Obamacare. A friend of mine cannot find a full time job for the same reason.), and eventually, the crash. Do some research on Argentina.

Get out of debt, first and foremost. Dave Ramey's Total Money Makeover is a great how-to. Just ignore all of the religious crap in it if it's not your thing.

While Ramsey is against credit cards of any kind, I really kind of disagree with him there. You need to keep your credit in decent shape, and using your CCs is a good way to do it.

However, use it more of a charge card, and pay it off at the end of each month.

Learn to cook your own meals. I will be more than happy to walk anyone through this if they need help. It's much cheaper and much healthier to cook your own meals.

I need to run up to Goodwill sometime in the next few days and get myself a few sweaters or sweatshirts, since I'm kind of lacking in the winter clothes department. You can find some great stuff at Goodwill. Hell, my $40 purse was brand new, still with tags on it at a Goodwill, and I paid $4 for it.

Stock up on some non-perishables. I strongly suggest learning how to put up food.

Discount Mylar Bags is a good place to go for mylar bags and smaller buckets. I prefer the 2 gallon buckets over the 5 or 6 gallon ones, as it makes them easier to move around. I think the code SBoards10 is still good for 10% off.

Rice goes a long way as a filler, but make sure you have proteins and fats, too.

The Mormons are old pros at food storage, and they have a pretty decent Food Storage Calculator.

Learn to garden. Even if you're in an apartment, you can likely start learning by growing some tomatoes in a 5 gallon bucket.

My Patriot Supply has great prices on survival seed vaults, and they're super nice people.

Between cooking your stored rice and pasta, drinking, cleaning, etc., make sure you keep plenty of water on hand. You can generally find refurbished food-grade 55 gallon drums for a decent price. We got ours for $35 each.

Learn to shoot to protect yourself and your family.

While lots of people say to invest in gold and silver, you can't eat it. I think it's a good idea to keep some on hand, though.

I'm trying to think of what else...

Any questions? Comments?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I think you covered it pretty well Theresa. Might not be a bad idea to install a decent security door on the ground level entrance for those of us in rougher areas. Not too worried about home invasions here, but I know that it is a reality for some.

staehlin180

Authorized Seller
Guns... Check
Food... Check
Survival Skills... Eh, I think I can hack it
Debit... It's there but manageable.

Ill be graduating this May finally Ill have a B.S. in Engineering Construction Management. My only concern now is that I won't be able to put my degree and experience to work for me, at least not here in CA. At least I won't have any student loan debit. I might have to bug out and hit the road. I've been thinking about the mountain region (Colorado, Montana, Wyoming). Trying to read up in Engineering News and Review what 2012-2013 will hold for construction ..... Doesn't look too good.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
I think credit cards are the best invention EVER!
We use our American express for EVERYTHING. We're going to spend that money anyway, why not have a detailed list of where it's going every month broken down into categories...?

Not to mention our $300+ check we get every year for our rewards. For us letting them front us some funds so we don't have to carry cash... How thoughtful of them! We've yet to pay any interest and have made an easy $1500 from their rewards.

#1 to GoodWill. That place is awesome. The first saturday of each month is half off everything up here... I get a lot of stuff on these days. (scored a huge water slide for the kids, BNIB, for like 1/8 the normal price!) I'm still wearing jeans I had back in highschool (early 2000's) so I'm not worried about being in style. Hell, I didn't even know that it wasn't cool to wear jean shorts until I went shopping for a few pair this summer. The lady looked at me funny when I asked where the denim shorts were. :(

I haven't stocked nearly as much as I would like. Not even for the end of the world, but for a good long summer storm... Need a few more days worth, would like a weeks worth not including our week that we typically stock. Feeding 7 is a PITA. lol Easy $200/wk.

My question to all: (since I'm obviously not a financial guru)
What are your feelings toward 0% financing for XX months sales? Like if I need an appliance, should I just pay it upfront or use their 'free' money? We've always taken advantage of them and paid them off a month early and made payments $/(#months-1) It seems like a double edged sword... on one hand I'm not out a large chunk of money I may need for an emergency, but it's another $1-200 payment for 5 months or whatever. I know as soon as I'm late or don't pay it off in the time allowed I'm SCREWED, but I make sure not to let that happen.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
My question to all: (since I'm obviously not a financial guru)
What are your feelings toward 0% financing for XX months sales? Like if I need an appliance, should I just pay it upfront or use their 'free' money? We've always taken advantage of them and paid them off a month early and made payments $/(#months-1) It seems like a double edged sword... on one hand I'm not out a large chunk of money I may need for an emergency, but it's another $1-200 payment for 5 months or whatever. I know as soon as I'm late or don't pay it off in the time allowed I'm SCREWED, but I make sure not to let that happen.
I'm in a similar boat myself. Now, I can see the advantage to both routes. I like to keep money on hand, just in case. However, I like to pay things off as soon as possible as well. I'm debating whether to finance my next car, or to save up the cash ahead of time.

On the one hand, if I finance, I could be in trouble if something goes wrong and I lose my income or whatever. However, if I wait to save the money, said money might be worth less by the time I have enough saved up to pay cash, AND I miss out on the time I could be driving it...

I say if you KNOW that you can pay it off (as in have more than enough cash handy), I see nothing wrong with financing something along the example you pointed out.

Great list, but I would say, if you live out in BFE which is the place you want to be...Learn to ride a horse...gas is going to be no where to be found when shtf...
Good advice Mario.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Well, they're bleach treated and sealed, but I may use them in the spring to water my garden so we can rotate them out.

staehlin180

Authorized Seller
Just out of curiosity, whats your motivation for putting up such a large quantity of water? I would think it would be more functional to have a more portable quantity (bottles/jugs etc.) on hand and a way to purify water as a backup. Unless you live in a more isolated area, then storing large amounts of water would make sense for "bugging in". It just doesn't seem all that practical to me to have a 55 gallon drum full of water.

What is the likelihood that water mains will stop working (short of an earthquake)?

trucker

Authorized Seller
Makes perfect sense to have a large quantity on hand. For instance, I live in a rural area, and to have the water supply freeze up for a week at a time happens every year. A shit ton on one gallon jugs is going to take up a lot more space than a couple of drums. Yes, its more of a hunker down type of situation. Besides, what if the water supply becomes tainted? If I can sit here and think of that off the top of my head, then some damn terrorist can as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

staehlin180

Authorized Seller
Makes sense. I just think that I would stick to a more portable source of stored water as I live in suburbia and Bugging in wouldn't be my first option, I have plenty of remote spots to go with water sources. Any water supply contamination issues can be solved by filtration/treatment/boiling.

I do however like the idea of harvesting rain water or grey water to use for irrigation if you were to maintain a garden.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
We have nowhere to go. This is it.

Drought happens often here in Georgia, as does frozen water pipes. In case of EMP, as longs there's water in a nearby tower, we're good, but when there aren't pumps to pump them back in, we're screwed. Same goes, really, for a complete and total collapse.

I started with those 2.5 gallon jugs you can get from the grocery store, but learned quickly that they're good for about 6 months 'til they sprout leaks.

staehlin180

Authorized Seller
Right on. How are you treating the water when you put it up? I used to do a lot of backpacking, and a buddy of mine would use iodine to purify water. It had an aftertaste, but nothing a little tang or Gatorade mix couldn't fix.

I've been doing some research into rainwater collection and grey water reuse, just because I'm in construction and we have used it on a few projects for irrigation. It wouldn't be too hard to make collected rainwater drinkable, providing it's collected the right way.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
^ Just make sure you're not allergic. Severe reactions are not pretty.

Update on the baby for everyone who was sending prayers/vibes/w/e:
My wife and I "accidentally" pulled the tube they had draining his belly (the last day all it managed to get out was 10ml of spit, which is nothing) on Saturday night... They started feedings on Sunday afternoon and something happened to his long term IV (he's had problems keeping them, but I'm not sure my wife didn't have something to do with this...) so they're really working him up to full feeds quickly. He started at 30ml instead of 10, and it already up to 40, will be 50 tomorrow. They're wanting him to get to somewhere in the 90-100 range if he'll eat that much and then it's home sweet home. Looking like it may be before Thanksgiving! If you've been sending anything his way, thank you.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Rock on, little SupraMan18! :)

We treat our water with a few tablespoons of bleach. There ARE "water treatment" tablets out there that are just bleach, so make sure to check ingredients and don't waste your money. Our next project is to build a water filter using Berkey filters (just not their housing). You can do it with a pair of 5 gal. buckets and a spigot, and the cost is half of the Big Berkey or whatever they call it.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Besides, what if the water supply becomes tainted? If I can sit here and think of that off the top of my head, then some damn terrorist can as well.
You mean like that time they stuck fluoride in the water supply? Oh wait...

Anyway, for the little guy, glad to hear he's coming along nicely. Seeing as how I'm pretty sure you're a fellow Walking Dead fan, shall we nickname him "little ass kicker"? :)

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Anyway, for the little guy, glad to hear he's coming along nicely. Seeing as how I'm pretty sure you're a fellow Walking Dead fan, shall we nickname him "little ass kicker"? :)
Apparently... I got the call today saying that Friday was the big day. Now it's just sit back and wait for the bills to come pouring in. I need to make a spreadsheet of them and get the totals... Would make a good page in his baby book for when he asks for _______, I can say "Well, it looks like you still owe me $X."

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
If you ever have a child have an extended stay in the hospital... pre-emptively punch your nurse in the face for keeping your kid up all night and screwin up their sleep schedule.

I think I got like 7 hours of sleep all weekend.

The good news:
I'm pretty awesome at Borderlands now.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I think I got like 7 hours of sleep all weekend.

The good news:
I'm pretty awesome at Borderlands now.
Hey, always look on the bright side of life, right? *whistles*

I don't know why, but I have been picking up the occasional game when they're cheap as shit on Amazon or Newegg for the past few years. In that entire time, I think I've played maybe 5 or 6 of them. I think once I'm done with the Chevy and the Supra, I'm going to take a car sabbatical, and focus on gaming for a while, get caught up on them. :)

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Butchered the turkeys today... I couldn't find the baby scale, but I'm guessing somewhere between 70 & 80 lbs of MEAT. One breast from my white turkey barely fit into a gallon Ziploc bag... I wouldn't be surprised if they each weighed 8 lbs.

Laid them on their backs while holding their legs and shot them in the head with a .22, they just floated their wings on their backs and didn't bruise or break at all. I would recommend this as a method to kill them.

Attachments

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Had a breast for lunch today. 6 adults and two toddlers, still had enough leftover for at least 3 meals throughout the week. CRAZY good.

Tender, super juicy, and tasted like turkey... I was wondering if I would do turkeys again next year, I'm pretty sure I will be.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Which breed did you raise? At what age did you butcher them? Did you free range them at all? What was the mortality rate like?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
I got all 3 from Rural King (think TSC, if these are only regional). I started with 4, but one had a lame leg and died before he would have been worth eating and was fairly sick looking anyway. Started with 2 BroadBreasted Whites and 2 Heritage Reds (I have been calling them bourbons, but they are deff not) but lost one BBW. I butchered them at ~7.5 months of age. They were free ranged sporadically. They would jump the fence when they were still small enough to fly the 5' needed to clear it and would roam for the night and I would put them back into the cage when the MIL freaked out in the AM because there was a huge ball of feathers strutting on the back porch. I had originally started with 4 actual bourbon red turkeys, but lost 2 to them inventing ways to die and then the other two running off when I tried to strictly free range them. The pen they were in is maybe 30'x50'. Just them and 3 ducks. I'd bring home fruits/vegetables for them from the church food pantry (smashed bananas, strawberries from a pack with a few moldy berries in it, prepackaged salad mixes that had popped open, etc) and just toss in with them as well as vegetable scraps and the like from the garden (lately lettuce that has gone to seed in the spring and has grown like CRAZY in the garden and leftover heads of garden fresh lettuce). I calculated up that I had purchased 18 bags of meat bird crumbles @ $13/bag. Call it $250 worth of feed. At the absolute LEAST I got in meat was 60 lbs, $4.17/lb, and at most 75lbs $3.33/lb. So I'll call it $3.75/lb

They were seriously maintenance free. They drank the water that the ducks swam in anyway, there was no litter to clean, they lived outside and slept either on what amounted to either a dog house or an old cellar door propped up with 2x4s to make a lean-to. Spare t-posts and fence supports, $50 for a roll of chicken wire in addition to my extra from the coop build.

Hoping I can find someone to split an order with and getting an assortment from www.porterturkeys.com There are just to dang many colors to choose from! :(

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I know it.

I desperately need to move and get a few more acres. The number of people I've had that either A) want me to teach chicken-raising classes, B) raise chickens for them and they pay me for it, or C) both, is getting to the point where I could have my farm pay for part of itself. :( I just don't have the farm yet.