The Official Survivalist Thread

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
So my D-bagish roosters:

I figure rather than get them all fired up yesterday I'd wait and get the eggs at night because everyone knows you can't piss off a chicken at night, right?

F no! my 2 lavender roosters went absolutely ape shit as soon as I started reaching into the nest box (which was hen free, just had 7 eggs in it)... Dropped the flashlight (which stayed on, thank God), almost fell over their "ladder", just started kicking/punching anything that had feathers. lol I just rigged up a cable to raise and lower the door from outside the run and I'll just let them be until Friday night... then it's grab and stuff 6 roosters into the smallest cage I can and then get up and start pwning n00bs! Gonna try to convince my brother that he needs to help. The last time I saw him see blood he almost passed out (he got a fish hook in his finger, barely past the barb), it's gonna be AWESOME!

Also, I'll be sitting 20 eggs by the end of the week. Gonna try to make the flock ~20 hens and 1 lonely rooster MAYBE 2... Blue ones (still trying to get an actual splash orpington). I've been babying/handling the week old chicks EVERY time I walk out into the garage, hoping maybe the opposite approach will be a bit more succesful.

On the + side of today:
Bought another mini 4 wheeler for the boys today. Again a chinese knock-off, but a 2stroke with a twist throttle. The engine is smaller than a weedeater engine and it still got my 200+lbs up to about 20 mph fairly quickly. Plus it's lime green, so you know it's BA. Now, if I could just convince the wife that we need a few "whoops" for the boys to ride over... or maybe a triple.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
You gonna snuff the rooster? lol
I see what you did there... "Ohhhhhhhhhhh...... you've come to...". You realize that song is nearly 20 years old?

So my D-bagish roosters:

I figure rather than get them all fired up yesterday I'd wait and get the eggs at night because everyone knows you can't piss off a chicken at night, right?
Curious, do you wear any gloves or anything when you're doing this sort of thing? I have a pair of welding gloves here at work, and they do a pretty good job of protecting my hands around here if need be. Just a suggestion if you're brave enough to go in there bare handed/armed...

staehlin180

Authorized Seller
I see what you did there... "Ohhhhhhhhhhh...... you've come to...". You realize that song is nearly 20 years old?
20 years old but still a good one and a good band to boot. I saw them in concert last time they were here in Sacramento. I had to explain the whole "snuff the rooster" thing to a guy in one of my classes .... Made me feel old ha ha.

... And dont even get me started on how the local classic rock station here has started playing Alice in Chains, Collective Soul, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. Damn, I guess I am getting old.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
I am so terribly amused by your rooster mishaps. Although seriously, I don't know of anyone else who has had such a horrid run of bad roosters...
<-- Does not like teh cock(s)

Curious, do you wear any gloves or anything when you're doing this sort of thing? I have a pair of welding gloves here at work, and they do a pretty good job of protecting my hands around here if need be. Just a suggestion if you're brave enough to go in there bare handed/armed...
Once they hit puberty (or wtfe) I would put a pair of pants on when I went to collect the eggs, because they can/do inflict some decent damage to the lower body(more than I could do bare handed to a grizzly-assuming the weight ratioss to be about the same-ish). I was almost SCREAMING at Nick to GTF out of the run... The smaller roosters could fairly easily get to his eye level with their spurs. Looking back I like to invision it as a heroic scene from The Walking Dead or something where I'm going against a huge horde with nothing but a 2' piece of 2x4 screaming, "RUN!!!" so that he can go on bringing hope to the world. But I'm sure if anyone had seen it, it more closely resembled a grown man pushing down a toddler and then laughing at it, maybe even kicking it a few times... but cussing, rather than laughing of course.

When I go back in to grab them, I will be wearing gloves. As lame as it sounds, I have even been considering eye protection. (2 roosters like to hang out in nest boxes, which are just below MY eye level-Design flaw, I know...)

I wish I had a GoPro. It'd get 1,000,000 hits, easy.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Aaaaaaaaaaaand who the fuck needs a rooster when I have a hen that makes sure to tell me that it's morning?

DAMMIT, Gertrude.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
20 years old but still a good one and a good band to boot. I saw them in concert last time they were here in Sacramento. I had to explain the whole "snuff the rooster" thing to a guy in one of my classes .... Made me feel old ha ha.

... And dont even get me started on how the local classic rock station here has started playing Alice in Chains, Collective Soul, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. Damn, I guess I am getting old.
Old is only a state of mind man. I'm sure our parents felt the same way when the label of "classic rock" was applied to songs that were just the rock they grew up listening to in the 60s and 70's.

Frankly, I never quite understood the meaning behind the "snuff the rooster" in that song, unless it literally just means killing it...

Once they hit puberty (or wtfe) I would put a pair of pants on when I went to collect the eggs, because they can/do inflict some decent damage to the lower body(more than I could do bare handed to a grizzly-assuming the weight ratioss to be about the same-ish). I was almost SCREAMING at Nick to GTF out of the run... The smaller roosters could fairly easily get to his eye level with their spurs. Looking back I like to invision it as a heroic scene from The Walking Dead or something where I'm going against a huge horde with nothing but a 2' piece of 2x4 screaming, "RUN!!!" so that he can go on bringing hope to the world. But I'm sure if anyone had seen it, it more closely resembled a grown man pushing down a toddler and then laughing at it, maybe even kicking it a few times... but cussing, rather than laughing of course.

When I go back in to grab them, I will be wearing gloves. As lame as it sounds, I have even been considering eye protection. (2 roosters like to hang out in nest boxes, which are just below MY eye level-Design flaw, I know...)

I wish I had a GoPro. It'd get 1,000,000 hits, easy.
I would watch it. Only another month until we get to see some more Walking Dead by the way...

As for the eye protection, I see it as silly, but I'd rather see it as being silly than not see at all. ;)

staehlin180

Authorized Seller
Frankly, I never quite understood the meaning behind the "snuff the rooster" in that song, unless it literally just means killing it...
They were referring to killing "the rooster". The "Rooster" in question was Lead Guitarist Jerry Cantrell's dad, That was his nickname and the song was about his experiences in Vietnam:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooster_(song)

Not to be all off topic and stuff.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
2 of the catches were uneventful... the others not so much... the others can fly apparently.

Also had 4 duck eggs today. Wtf?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I Anyway, serious question here. This thread paints a rather bleak look of the (potential, if likely) future that we face. What do you plan to do to fend off insanity? I for one, do not think life so much fun, that it would be worth it to me to cling to if the world really does go to shit.
And to give you a serious answer....in another thread in this section, the dark ages were briefly mentioned. Don't think it can't happen again, when we (USA) are doing the exact same thing here they (Rome) did then.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
They were referring to killing "the rooster". The "Rooster" in question was Lead Guitarist Jerry Cantrell's dad, That was his nickname and the song was about his experiences in Vietnam:
Thanks for the clarification, who "rooster" is was the last piece of the puzzle for me. :)

2 of the catches were uneventful... the others not so much... the others can fly apparently.

Also had 4 duck eggs today. Wtf?
Maybe your fowl are having some funny sexy parties late at night and getting some inter-fowl action on...

And to give you a serious answer....in another thread in this section, the dark ages were briefly mentioned. Don't think it can't happen again, when we (USA) are doing the exact same thing here they (Rome) did then.
Totally agree with you there man.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
*political section edit*

I didn't get around to butchering today... Food pantry and then picking some stuff up for my dad killed the entire morning/afternoon.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Whoever recommended archery.... +1.

Was thinking crossbow... but this crapp is awesome even with hand me down stuff

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Fun isn't it? My brother and his wife got two deer a couple weeks ago during bow season. I know not to piss her off, she's a good shot. ;) :p

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Fun isn't it? My brother and his wife got two deer a couple weeks ago during bow season. I know not to piss her off, she's a good shot. ;) :p
Hell yeah it is. I also discovered that getting a used bow will cost <20% as much as a new bow... Sure it's a year or two old, but I'm not about to drop $1500 for a new bow when I can get one damn near as good for $3-500.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Hell yeah it is. I also discovered that getting a used bow will cost <20% as much as a new bow... Sure it's a year or two old, but I'm not about to drop $1500 for a new bow when I can get one damn near as good for $3-500.
Often they don't have many miles on them, so to speak, so that would be the smart thing to do. I've honestly never looked into it though, how does ammunition cost for a typical hunting bow? I can't imagine it is anywhere near as cheap as your typical bullet...

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
My ubar cheap set up:
6x Refurb'd Aluminum arrows- $Free.99
6x Thunderhead broadheads (fixed blades) - $30
6x Quick-Fletches (put them on the arrow, fit them to the arrow in boiling water) $20

So for a MINIMUM set up, you're looking at ~$10/arrow.

Then I throw one into the dirt when I didn't trip my release all the way and screw up a fletching... $20 for a 6 pack of quick fletches, with 5 more spares.

My buddy that got me into archery (along with my grandfather in law):
$50- 6 arrows
$30- Fletchings
$60- broadheads

So he's at $20+/arrow. Of course he's got new model EVERYTHING...

But, I've shot mine probably 20 dozen times and not messed up more than the one fletching. I'm expecting the any that I shoot while hunting to get screwed up (hitting limbs, going through a deer- a stretch), or me being careless) so... I've got a deal that if I get anything this year I can get a new bow, if I shoot at and miss I can get a used (purchased a camera that will mount onto the bow for proof), if I don't see anything... it's old school until I do.

We set up our cameras Saturday, so fingers crossed that we have good spots set up. I'll post any pics that we get that are worth while. I have a good feeling about my rookie-picked-location and my $50 camera.

I may have a buyer for my billions, and billions of duck eggs. A lady at work overheard us talking about chickens and asked if she could have some chicken eggs. "Sure, bring them in for you tomorrow." Told her the first dozen was on the house... Only had 8 chicken eggs and threw 4 duck eggs in to fill it. Appologized and said if she didn't want them they could toss them. Apparently they tried them first thing and loved them. So now I've got $3/wk coming in! Hell-OOOOOOOOOOO Retirement!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Haha, I like your sense of optimism with the duck eggs. I keep hoping my millionaire idea comes to me soon...

Anyway, good luck on the hunt to you sir. For what it is worth, deer is a lot cheaper than beef in most cases, hence why my brother and his wife got their couple. Should feed them for much of the year. :)

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Totally off topic:

But anyone who would, please pray/send vibes/keep in your thoughts/whatever you can do my new baby boy. Born about an hour ago ~a month early.

Getting ready to head to the city so I can see him after he was rushed out of the OR after an emergency c section. Still not sure what's going on, for some reason his belly was very distended.

Myself and my family would greatly appreciate it.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Will do man, I'm not familiar with a distended stomach, but I hope he pulls through!

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
So little baby James is stable finally. Definitely shtf week for the family. Luckily with our living arrangement we aren't really effected too much since we don't have a mortgage and all that crapp to go with it, and we've been halfway responsible and have saved up enough to get us through for several months even with all the extra expenses we'll have with gas and hotels. The doctor told is that he could be in the NICU anywhere from 6 weeks to his first birthday... the transport doctor called in a favor from the chief of surgery at Riley hospital and had him come in at 4am to do James's surgery... he is the best of the best, so there is no doubt that James has the best shot at life that we could possibly ask for. Since my wife works in the same NICU we have been treated like rock stars...

Anyway, just an update on a real life survivalist.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Sounds like you guys have a fighter on your hands, that is good to hear that he has a good shot now. :)

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Well, he certainly appears bright-eyed and bushy tailed for a little thing who's been fighting so much lately. Looks like he's on the mends?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Yeah, he's doing great, but he's still critical. The staff here is amazing, I have no doubt that he'll make it through just fine.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Looks like mom and baby are doing well, all things considered. :)

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Oy. How's the spawn doing?
He's doing better... still looking at somewhere between thanksgiving and Christmas for a discharge date. But that's fine. He's "out of the woods" and most of that time will be spent getting him to full feedings, he's at 25ml out of the 60 ml they want him at. Then he'll get his guy hooked back together and then start it all over again.

Came home last weekend to the turkeys and ducks free ranging (the strap on the gate broke), but all are fine except for gimpy, he died. O well. Chickens have stopped laying for the last 2 weeks... stupid free loaders. I may try to sell my flock and switch to ducks. All 10 chicks are doing fine.

Got an offer from a lady I work with for $75 for a dressed Turkey... So I may try raising quite a few next year. Even if it is like breaking even for their feed costs. We'll see.

Attachments

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Glad he's doing well!

For the chickens, do you have a light in their coop? They lay best at 14 hours of light a day.