The Official Survivalist Thread

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
I have... but my wife is kinda :meh: about another damn bird...

i wanted a few big ass geese, but I'm the only one that does. I read that a goose can kill a fox, which to me sounded bad-ass. I'm dropping more eggs into the incubator Friday if things continue to go well (should be anywhere from 12-16 full orpington eggs) and I'd like to get my numbers up and attempt free ranging the chickens in small flocks to see how they do.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I've been attacked by too many to want them. :p

Mike says that a co-worker was raising geese in yuppie town and selling the eggs for like $20/dozen or something outrageous. But they can't keep up with demand, so they're doing something right.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I wouldn't bet on that.
Me either. Their bite is a bitch, but foxes have teeth, and claws, and are predators (albeit smaller animals like rodents and livestock), so I'd put my money on the fox.

Mike says that a co-worker was raising geese in yuppie town and selling the eggs for like $20/dozen or something outrageous. But they can't keep up with demand, so they're doing something right.
Goose eggs any good? Not the knot on your head type. :p

Can see them making for a good omelet... What about raising ostriches?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Negative to the ostriches... I like to keep my slightly smarter than retarded birds < 10% of my body weight.

We have been considering a pig as a garbage disposal but none of us are big on pork. (ibwhydoyouhavethreekidsthen?) I'd still like a few cows to turn into steaks...

My boss said that sheep were decent money makers in this area

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Poodles

I play with fire
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Ostriches are dangerous. They have nasty claws and WILL kick you. Eviseration isn't my ideal way to die...

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
My boss said that sheep were decent money makers in this area
He could very well be correct. On HT, someone was mentioning that there is a HUGE market for sheep milk cheese in general. See if you can pry from your boss in what market sheep are best in in your area - wool? Dairy? Meat?

Are you on HT? If not, WHY?

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com

I'm BoldViolet over there.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
See if you can pry from your boss in what market sheep are best in in your area - wool? Dairy? Meat?
She said that there has been a huge increase in the number of immigrants to the area and that the meat market is HUGE at the moment. (ha!)

I just signed up for HT, I thought that it was blocked at work for some reason. The 2012 section of SB has been entertaining me enough for the most part... But I can probably manage to get some reading done on HT. I've already got ~6 tabs open about bee keeping.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I just discovered that there's a local bee keepers' club here that meets monthly about 25 mins from me. I might hop in and learn some things.

HT is a really awesome site. The wealth of knowledge is awesome, and most of the people there are just super nice.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Ostriches are dangerous. They have nasty claws and WILL kick you. Eviseration isn't my ideal way to die...
Wouldn't have to worry about predators killing your livestock as much though... Long as they don't figure out how to open doors like velociraptors, I think you would be fine. :p

There actually was (still is?) an ostrich farm off the I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix, definitely not something you expect to see out in the middle of nowhere haha...

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Sold three rabbits today, and the girl who bought them graciously showed me how to properly sex a rabbit. I thought they were all males.... nope.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Getting 4-6 eggs PER DAY. Even managed 8 one day...
BOO YAH!

Felt awesome damn near filling up a container in one day.

We've got another bushel of maters ready to can tomorrow... My wife gave away all of our green beans, so we don't have to do those. Donated a wagon full of cucumbers to the food pantry at church. I'm glad there are people who still want them things. lol Wishing we would have done some heirloom stuff this year so we could be letting it all go to seed.

I have an interview for a job on Wednesday making $$$. So my fingers are crossed... The extra money would go a looooong way in getting this farm up and running.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Got a second egg this morning, cooked it as well...

Chicken egg > duck egg

They are still good durr definitely have a different taste to them. Very eggy, but in a good way.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Interesting.

I, on the other hand, am dealing with an egg bound chicken. :(

I have given her a hot bath, which she seemed to enjoy. I'm letting her wander around for a bit before I lube up a gloved finger and attempt to retrieve the egg manually. -_-

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
I'll be 100% honest... that will be a cull or "good luck". No way in hell I'm putting a finger up a chickens arse for any reason.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
LOL. I've done worse when grooming dogs.

It's my fault these animals are here; I see it as my responsibility to do whatever I can to make sure they make it. She's not breeding stock, so I don't have to worry about that. I'm realistic enough to know that no vet would know WTF they would be doing even if I could find one to see a chicken, and honestly, I'm not paying $50 just to walk in the door at a vet's office for a $3 chicken. Thankfully, I have enough of my own veterinary knowledge and experience to try to fix this myself.

I'd do the same even for a meat animal.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
F... getting this new job is like a 12s tep program or something... I've never had to speak to 15 different people during an interview process.

(I'm up to 4 now, waiting for the 5th one to call me any day)

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
45% hatch rate. :(

Dad said that 8 of the 11 did not even start the process. Roosters were slacking apparently.

Up to 26 now though! Watch your back Perdue!

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
I did about a week ago. My setup isn't professional grade so I'm always worried something will be going on and I won't be able to see it. That's my next poultry related investment.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
I know everyone cares about my farm and how effed up everything is on it...

But I got 2 duck eggs today. Which is odd because I KNOW that I saw a barnyard gangbang going on with the ducks. Anyone who saw it would have said there were 2 dudes and 1 chick, one climbed off and the other jumped on... Then today after getting 2 eggs (even different colored) it had gone from a MMF to a MFF orgy. Maybe one was establishing dominance, IDK, but I know that they were getting it on. I'm not judging, but I am excited that I got 2 ducks and 1 drake. That means in a few days I'll be filling the incubator up with duck eggs. they're the ones that go 28 days... not 21. lol

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
Ok... my ducks must be dbags or something...

No flocking joke, I got 3 eggs today from them today. Gonna Google "lesbian ducks" at work tonight and see what comes up.

#farmworldproblems

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Well, Lucille seemed to feel better for a bit, but still no eggs. When she started hiding in the corner of the coop, I gave her another hot bath and checked to see if she had an egg stuck. I couldn't feel anything.

Her stomach was very bloated, and I remembered reading something about fluid build up. I looked it up and found posts on forums about ascites - fluid build up in the abdomen.

Not being terribly squeemish from my years of working at animal clinics and grooming, I got a needle and syringe and started pulling fluid from her abdomen.

I filled up a red solo cup with that stuff yesterday, and hoped for the best. I probably could have drawn more, but it was difficult for Lucille to lay on her side with her head covered.

Lucille made it through the night, but she won't eat or drink, and she's developed a head twitch.

I'm going to let her enjoy the beautiful day we're having, and then I'm going to put her down tonight.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Authorized Seller
That sucks... :(

I've got 6 Roosters you can have to replace her. 3 of the bastards went after Nick today... and the parents are having a hog roast next week.

I'm just getting rid of all 6. I'll deal with more Roosters from the batch that just hatched come springtime.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
It is illegal for me to keep roosters. :p

So I'm down to one layer. 'Stache and EDna-209 have not yet begun to lay yet, although it should be any day now.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
No, it's because I live in a subdivision and they're noisy as fuck.

I think if I have 2 or more acres I can have one.

[video=youtube;MqFkLvSoGto]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqFkLvSoGto[/video]

(and that's an extreme case, since this is a vid of a denzili rooster, and they're known for ridiculous crows, but still...)