The Official Survivalist Thread

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I guess the Political forum is the best for this stuff.

Here's what I'm planning on before The End of the World as We Know It...

I want to get certified for first aid and CPR. I told Mike that's something I'd like us to do by the end of February.

I need to see a doctor for a regular check up, something I've not had in like 10 years.

I've been learning how to wield a pistol better, but I plan on buying a .22 rifle to start learning how to shoot a rifle.

I've been checking out forums like the following:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/

Like I've mentioned before to others, there's quite a bit of Bible-waving there, but they tend to keep it secluded in their own sections for that.

There's also
http://www.backyardchickens.com/
that I've been reading through.

When it warms up, Mike and I are going to take some horse riding lessons, and eventually get our own horses. Since they don't run on gasoline and everything. :p

So, let's hear it -
What do you guys/gals do to expand your knowledge and help guarantee you're one of the Strong that Survive if this whole damn thing goes to shit?

Last edited:

MDCmotorsports

Offical Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Authorized Seller
Contributor
As the other "nut jobs" like to call it, being prepared in case SHTF.

I for one have been stocking up on ammo, equipment, and most importantly, started carrying a bug out bag.

It has enough for 3 days.

Mind you, it only takes 20 minutes to get to my family farm of 78+ acres.

In my bug out bag, I have:

-Water
-Canteen
-Granola bars
-Portable Swiss alcohol stove with pot
-Pair of pants
-Two pair undies
-Two pair socks
-Two shirts
-Parachord
-Matches
-Eastwing shingle hammer (doubles as a hammer, crow bar, and hatchet)
-Kbar knife
-First aid kit with trauma pack

As for knowledge? Ive been learning every thing there is about hunting lately.

I even bagged my first deer this year. I stalked it. Shot it. Gutted it, and processed it.

Start to finish.

For the homestead:

Im signed up to take a canning class. Canned items can last for very long periods of time when stored properly.

I also have been learning how to use my family owned hand crank flour mill.

Processing wild wheat and or oats into flour makes life very very happy when you don't have the local grocery.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Bug out bag is on the list for things to grab soon, too.

...I even wanna get backpacks for the dogs for their own stuff like some food and first aid. Though they probably won't need as much food since they can take out game on their own, really.

...I'm sure there's some people here and on my livejournal that think I've gone completely moonbatshitinsane. But I'd rather THEY say "I told you so" than ME tell THEM "I told you so."

MDCmotorsports

Offical Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Bug out bag is on the list for things to grab soon, too.

...I even wanna get backpacks for the dogs for their own stuff like some food and first aid. Though they probably won't need as much food since they can take out game on their own, really.

...I'm sure there's some people here and on my livejournal that think I've gone completely moonbatshitinsane. But I'd rather THEY say "I told you so" than ME tell THEM "I told you so."
You know , yesterday I had my hunting rifle with scope, ammo, and my bug out bag with me, and my concealed carry pistol with ammo.

I was preparing for the worst yesterday.

I got laughed at for it, but you know what? Id rather be prepared and never need it, than need it and be screwed.

We are living in a time where the kindling is piled up. The sap is sweet. The temp is hot, and the ground is dry.

Its only going to take one match to start this bonfire, and I don't want to be without water.

:nono:

Supracentral

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Look at it this way, if we're wrong:

We stimulated the economy with our "ridiculous" purchases.
We learned valuable skills.
We had fun.
No harm done.

If we're right:

We've got a much better chance of surviving whatever comes our way, be it civil war, foreign invasion, aliens attacking or a zombie outbreak. :)

In other words, being as Theresa put it "moonbatshitinsane" has no downside. :D

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Authorized Seller
^ Wyoming? Where are you going to bug out to? WY seems more like a bug out destination for someone like me that lives in Houston!

Supracentral

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Wyoming isn't a 'bug out' destination, it's a place to live. Read Molon Labe by Boston T. Party: http://www.javelinpress.com/molon_labe.html

Begun in 1997,the story was so sweeping and the details so numerous that writing it took Boston six years. He describes the 454 page Molôn Labé! as "a book of thought for action people; an action book for people of thought."

The story:

After a decade of retaking their stolen freedoms, the people of Wyoming (many of them newcomers) are forced to finally confront their jealous masters in the U.S. Government. Can a lone, courageous state successfully resist federal tyranny, or has the Bill of Rights been reduced to a myth? Can an allegedly free people act free, or is our liberty just a 4th of July farce?

These issues weigh heavily on the shoulders of Governor James Wayne Preston, a decorated Desert Storm Marine helo pilot. Elected in 2014 on the Laissez-Faire Party ticket, he enjoys nearly full support of the legislature to return Wyoming to a long-lost era of liberty. But how far can he and the people of his state go before Washington, D.C. feels compelled to act? Will Wyoming's free and independent course reach actual secession? Will President Melvin Connor suppress the maverick Western state with federal troops? Will anybody come to Wyoming's aid?

Molôn Labé! captures the probable headlines of 2005-2020. As our Potomac masters increasingly try to run our lives and wipe out state prerogatives, organized resistance in some form is assured. Boston believes that while it is too late to "take back" America, the time is ripe to converge on an already comparatively free state and forge the Jeffersonian ideal of local autonomy and liberty.

Molôn Labé! is a fictional account of a real-world blueprint for a free state initiative focused on Wyoming. If just 4,000 freedom-loving individuals will relocate there under a useful pattern, they can "liberate" the Cowboy State on many levels. In Wyoming we could truly enjoy our rights of gun ownership, privacy, schooling, health and diet, unrestricted travel, and property. Boston shows us how it actually can be done! Very soon he will debut his organization to spearhead the initiative (details to follow on our redesigned website).
That was written some time ago. The organization is in motion.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Authorized Seller
thanks for the link.... looks like some interesting reading... What no CC or PayPal to make a purchase? lol

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Authorized Seller
Contributor
package list for survival that i have attained or will attain within next year or two.

-Passports and dual citizenship.
-Degree that is recognized internationally.
-2 foreign languages
-camping gear/skills and a mountain bike.

say the economy did shit itself how beneficial would it be to revert to the gold standard as a backup currency?

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Authorized Seller
We are gonna get some chickens (meat and eggs) this year and we are already working on a vegetable/ herb garden as well as an orchard. I wouldn't mind some pigs either. All our neighbours have cattle and horses... :D.

We already buy foods in bulk at costco and meat in bulk from a deli store (I think the only thing they don't do is kill the animal). Downloaded the Vegetable Gardening encyclopedia... it has everything from growing to canning to storing to freezing. Now I just need some info on how to properly slaughter, gut and process animals and some medical handbooks would be nice too.

We are purchasing ammo and the like as well.

Tho all this purchasing isn't easy with only one income :(

If shit hits the fan.... it's gorgeous up north.....

I've always been interested in being self-sufficient and surviving the end of the world. Most people thought and think it's retarded, lol. I'm glad I never stopped dreaming of moving and immigrating to another country... now I finally have the property and rural environment to do all this stuff!

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Now I just need some info on how to properly slaughter, gut and process animals

http://www.backyardchickens.com has a meat birds forum that has GREAT threads on how to slaughter and butcher chickens.

There are also LOTS of videos on youtube of how to do the same.

ps - they also have great examples of chicken coops.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Authorized Seller
Wow! This like Y2K all over again.... Skills we should ALL have non the less! With all of the people that feel they are "entitled" to get something for nothing. Just wait unil if and when there is nothing. They are going get real mad and start looking for who moved their cheese.

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Authorized Seller
DT: Yeah, I've watched a really good one on youtube about slaughtering chicken. I'll definitely check out that link as well.

Any ideas about information regarding slaughtering other animals?
Hunters of SM, I'd love some input from you guys and girls in regards to gutting and processing!
We have deer and rabbits and plenty of birds running around and if things were really bad.... there is always the pack of coyotes... ;)

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Yeah, I've watched a really good one on youtube about slaughtering chicken. I'll definitely check out that link as well.

Any ideas about information regarding slaughtering other animals?

I'm sure there are vids and books available to buy. I've seen a few vids on youtube on how to field dress a deer.

ALSO:
This is from an OLD post from the OLD Frugal Squirrels' forum:

Here is a list of trades that will be needed after the coming collapse. Anyone who has the ability to do a multitude of these skills will find it a lot easier to cope than one who have none of these skills at all.

[table]Ammunition reloader|Artist|Assayer
Baker|Blacksmith|Bookbinder
Botanist|Brew master|Bullet caster
Bicycle Repairman|Butcher|Candle maker
Carpenter|Cartridge maker|Cartwright
Chandler|Charcoal burner|Cheese maker
Chemist|Doctor|Dog trainer
Dye maker|Electrician|Entertainer
Storyteller|Comedian|Farmer
Gardener|Harvester|Gatherer
Firewood purveyor|Fisherman|Gunpowder maker
Radio Operators|Handyman|Repairman
Historians|Horse trainer|Hunter
Maid|Machinist|Massage therapist
Mechanic|Metallurgist|Midwife
Miller|Miner|Musicians
Net maker|Nurse|Paper maker
Pedi-cab driver|Physicist|Plumber
Postmen|Printer|Roofer
Thatcher|Rope maker|Sail maker
Sailor|Scribe|Secretary
Security guard|Shearer|Shepherd
Goatherd|Shipwright|Shoemaker
Skill At Arms instructor|Smelter|Soap maker
Spinner|Spirits distiller|Stonemason
Surveyor|Tanner|Teacher
Tinker|Toy, Game maker|Trader/Wagoner
Trapper|Undertaker|Veterinarian
Weaver|Wheelwright|Winemaker[/table]

------------

A friend of mine is going to teach me how to knit, and I'm going to learn soap and candle-making.

I've got about 80% of those skills, actually. And the tools to back them up.

Unfortunately, I've NEVER been hunting before. Hell, I just RECENTLY got into firearms!

You hunters take care of the food - I'll keep the buildings erect, electrical power flowing, and water purifying ;) I'm the engineer, that's for sure :D

Supracentral

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
You hunters take care of the food - I'll keep the buildings erect, electrical power flowing, and water purifying ;) I'm the engineer, that's for sure :D
After we have the ranch, you get your ass out to Wyoming and you might have yourself a job. ;)

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Better get the move on it.
Hell I've been doing this stuff since I was 10, I guess being a country boy does have its benefits. I may get lost in the city, but I can track your ass in the woods like fly's on shit.

Only thing I am lacking is an AR-15.

BTW I don't see anything about being able to use a map and compass, or finding and using the stars for direction.

Also, only way you can learn a lot of these survival skills is to actually do it.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Not sure if you can necessarily barter with that, which is what the list is of --- barter-able trades.

But yeah... reading a map and compass is a must.

SupraMario

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Not sure if you can necessarily barter with that, which is what the list is of --- barter-able trades.

But yeah... reading a map and compass is a must.
Food? Shelter? Clothing? Medicine? I would think these are pretty high on the trade list. What do people need an artist for when they are starving, cold, and dieing? Or a Comedian, or storyteller? There are three things you need to survive, Food, Shelter, and Staying healthy(Medicine). Everything else becomes entertainment/pleasure.

Maybe my vision of a collapse is a bit worse than your's but, some things on that list is a bit....ridiculous.

CTsupra

Authorized Seller
Contributor
That Wyoming idea is pretty appealing. I'll look into that. I can provide the security when needed and other skills, you know being in the military and all, lol.

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Oooh. Repost from the LJ survivalists' community:

Here's a one hour long documentary by Les Stroud (aka Survivorman) about his family's efforts to go "off the grid" in the Canadian wilderness. The video is in 7 parts, 10 minutes each.

I wish he'd gotten into more detail about many aspects of the construction - choice of roofing material, the cisterns and water reclamation system, sewage management, total costs - but TV these days is a slave to the average persons attention span.

It would also be easy to criticize how truly "off the grid" the Strouds are being, but I'd wager he's done far more than most of us. Very impressive stuff in my humble opinion.

Anyways, here's a link to the first part of the program:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg7EaLIJrBw

simpsons7s

Its pronounced Nu-clear..
Authorized Seller
I am a haz-mat emergency responder and senior enviromental engineer, I do disaster response, emergency management and preperation. I have worked on varied sinerios and here are some of the things I learned. The first thing to collapse is communication. Make sure you and the people you care about have a back up form of communication, two-way or ham radio will be the best, Cell phones are useless and usually are too jammed to call out, same with land lines and that is even if the phone infrastructure is intact. Have a meeting place where your family can join togeather and tend to yourselves, emergency services will be too over worked to get to your crisis for at least 2 days and probably more, have enough to get you through a month at home. Depending on the crisis, peoples best bet is to stay put, unless necessary to move, make your house a fortress with supplies, get a fire proof safe big enough to put your cherished valueables in so if you do have to leave, you can travel light and have a good chance of coming back to get them. Roads will most likely be impassable and jammed with cars, look into off-road motorcycles, or horses when gas goes dry.
A bug out bag is a great, I have a small version in my truck with snacks, water, jacket, first aid, trauma kit, medications, change of clothes, rain poncho, and two way radio. In my main bag I also keep a tent, sleeping bag, small portable multi-fuel stove, water purifier, hiking pack, shovel, axe , knife, leatherman, additional cold weather clothing and change of clothes, local maps with escape route possabilities and compass, slingshot, lightweight .22 and ammo also in your bug out bag, keep nitrile gloves, at least enough p100 dust maskes for 3 days and a gas mask with at least ov/p100 cartrages 3 sets, if you are in a city sutiable for attack from biological weapons, super virus, or other respertory problems like dust from building collapse or otherwise. Have additional medications and toiletries, and then look at what you can pack and walk with.
Preperation is the key, look at were you live and do a self assessment, what are you going to face, flood, fire, virus, forign attack, if shit hit the fan what would you need. Train yourself, learn CPR and first aid, learn how to build a fire, and hunt small game, build a shelter. Just go camping once a month and not at a site that has bathrooms and a shower, It opens your eyes real quick to what you need and what is just useless crap.The government is made up of a bunch of people just like you that are going to have a hard time as well, in an emergency, don't depend on them to bail you out. Because they may be the ones your fleeing.

SupraMario

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I am a haz-mat emergency responder and senior enviromental engineer, I do disaster response, emergency management and preperation. I have worked on varied sinerios and here are some of the things I learned. The first thing to collapse is communication. Make sure you and the people you care about have a back up form of communication, two-way or ham radio will be the best, Cell phones are useless and usually are too jammed to call out, same with land lines and that is even if the phone infrastructure is intact. Have a meeting place where your family can join togeather and tend to yourselves, emergency services will be too over worked to get to your crisis for at least 2 days and probably more, have enough to get you through a month at home. Depending on the crisis, peoples best bet is to stay put, unless necessary to move, make your house a fortress with supplies, get a fire proof safe big enough to put your cherished valueables in so if you do have to leave, you can travel light and have a good chance of coming back to get them. Roads will most likely be impassable and jammed with cars, look into off-road motorcycles, or horses when gas goes dry.
A bug out bag is a great, I have a small version in my truck with snacks, water, jacket, first aid, trauma kit, medications, change of clothes, rain poncho, and two way radio. In my main bag I also keep a tent, sleeping bag, small portable multi-fuel stove, water purifier, hiking pack, shovel, axe , knife, leatherman, additional cold weather clothing and change of clothes, local maps with escape route possabilities and compass, slingshot, lightweight .22 and ammo also in your bug out bag, keep nitrile gloves, at least enough p100 dust maskes for 3 days and a gas mask with at least ov/p100 cartrages 3 sets, if you are in a city sutiable for attack from biological weapons, super virus, or other respertory problems like dust from building collapse or otherwise. Have additional medications and toiletries, and then look at what you can pack and walk with.
Preperation is the key, look at were you live and do a self assessment, what are you going to face, flood, fire, virus, forign attack, if shit hit the fan what would you need. Train yourself, learn CPR and first aid, learn how to build a fire, and hunt small game, build a shelter. Just go camping once a month and not at a site that has bathrooms and a shower, It opens your eyes real quick to what you need and what is just useless crap.The government is made up of a bunch of people just like you that are going to have a hard time as well, in an emergency, don't depend on them to bail you out. Because they may be the ones your fleeing.
Good info for peoples, last line is excellent.

Alright, just watched all 7 parts of that - and it was very good! I do have to say, some planning would have done wonders for his work, though ;)

Suggestion for an off the grid setup - External combustion engine. Think wood-burning steam turbine generating electricity in a pinch, rather than a gas-powered one. With today's materials tech, it wouldn't have to be very large at all.

Battery technology is still a ways from being that reliable (years of trouble-free maintenance) - but deep cycle batteries would be the best way to go (and as mentioned, try to keep them above 50-55% charge at all times)

A well - it works. :) Certainly, a good filtration system is a must - personally, I'd use a reverse osmosis system for the drinking water ;)

Refrigeration becomes the biggest problem after that. A typical fridge can use 200-700 watts of power. In other words, it'd use his entire electrical supply by itself ;)

With him living up north, I'd build a cellar storage, under any permafrost. Use the ground as a natural insulator, to keep cool. Use a very small minifridge for the essentials.

trucker

Authorized Seller
i think i've already outlined what i'm doing in the "what if you knew" thread somewhere in the political thread.

i should be home in a couple of days, my first act will be to cash out what's left of my worthless 401k, and go weapon shopping.

fortunately, i'm i'm in a pretty good place, with abundant game, water supply, in my back yard! the ground is shit for ag use, but i'm looking into building huge planters, and trucking in soil. it's gonna be my best option.

i still need to figure out what to do for fuel am in a relatively ioslated area. not exactly somewhere i can bike out of, and for all it's advantages, i can't keep livestock in my hoa.

i'm thinking i'll prolly go with another jeep Cherokee, with aftermarket fuel tanks(i think you can get em about 40 gal size)and a rack for jerry cans.

and i'll make more of an effort to get my scirocco finished. with a move to webber carb, there is relatively little to go wrong, and rabbit corpses everywhere insure a steady parts supply!

like i said in the other thread, i'be been actively working on this for a bit, there are people, even in my own family, who think i may be just a little out there...

Wyoming may be an option, but i'm gonna get my place in tx built up first...nothing wrong with having two places to go set up in geographicaly diverse areas...just in case

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Authorized Seller
Contributor
OK, I'll be labeled the extremist, but that doesn't bother me :sarcasm::

Weaponry:
  • CAR-15A2 w/ a 11.5" stainless steel heavy barrel and a 4.5" XM117 type flash suppressor. Soon to have an A4 upper fitted with a SIR 50M [3700 rnds]
  • Mossberg 590 tactical [440 rnds slugs]
  • 2 Mossberg side-by-side 16g shotguns (for my boys) [300 rnds eack]
  • H&K .40 USP (wifes)
  • H&K .45 USP (mine)

Food:
  • 36 cases (12 meals each) of MRE's
  • 20 bags of corn seed
  • 10 bags of lettuce seed
  • 10 bags of carrot seed
  • 5 bags of cucumber seed

Shelter:
  • 6-8x24' rolls of 8 mil plastic
  • 4-*Israeli* ponchos
  • 4-3 layer sleeping bags w/ gortex bivy covers
  • 4-issue inflatable sleeping mats

Misc:
  • 1000 AA Duracell batteries
  • LED flashlights
  • 1000' of '550' cord
  • 1 case of 100mph tape
  • Misc manuals (first aid, FM 7-8, SERE, ect)
  • 4-Multipliers
  • Combat Lifesaver Bag (w/ suture kits, cauterization pins)
  • Iodine tablets
  • salt
  • Money ($1000?)
  • 10 mile radios, 4 each
  • electrical tape, 2 rolls
  • heat tabs (several boxes)
  • weatherproof matches
  • medication!
  • battery-less radio
  • flint stone

Most of the stuff is loaded up in four rucksacks and staged in Tennessee. My rifle, the hand guns and my IBA & helmet are with me here. Chances are I'll never need it, but most of it came to me free and I'm an inherent pack rat.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Authorized Seller
My girlfriend seems to think this is really important...
'In the event of a zombie apocalypse, if you can and you're not in the city and there are thousands of zombies out for you, BURN THE BODIES. the last thing you want is to have the food system contaminated with the virus thus leaving you useless for food. once it gets into animals it will eventually contaminate the ground and water as well.'

Supracentral

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
My girlfriend seems to think this is really important...
'In the event of a zombie apocalypse, if you can and you're not in the city and there are thousands of zombies out for you, BURN THE BODIES. the last thing you want is to have the food system contaminated with the virus thus leaving you useless for food. once it gets into animals it will eventually contaminate the ground and water as well.'
Smart girl.

:D :D