The New "I just..." thread. :)

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I just wanted to say that my Supra is alive and well and actually got taken for a light test drive tonight in 25 degree F weather :D

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Authorized Seller
...finished stripping down and rebuilding his HTC Dream, within an hour, without a manual!

Turns out i overtightened two screws and assembled the screen hinge in the wrong order...

trucker

Authorized Seller
just realized that i only have 15 more railcars to unload, then the gravy money will be over. then its back to regular oil-hauling. im wondering if i will be able to stay with this place until my planned departure end of January. working for myself seems a lot more appealing. Just hate leaving a couple of grand in vacation money sitting on the table.....

crisp

existentialincrementalist
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I just calculated my past eight days of travels and worked out just over 3,000 miles driven by car... and I don't even drive for my work!!! (FOUR round trips to Cinci over two weekends for the boy's U12 state soccer championships, where they placed 4th after winning ONLY one game ALL last year, and losing ONLY one game THIS year out of 33 teams! Then several loops up to Detroit and back mid-week and a round trip SAME DAY up to Toronto Canada area from central Ohio AND a half day of meetings in between! Am I tired??? HELL YES I'M TIRED! THEN I had to come in to work before 7a.m. today after getting home from Canada VERY late last night for a two hour conference call with Japan... and NOW I'm IN ANOTHER conference call with Japan TONIGHT while I miss my kids Thanksgiving Program at his elementary school tonight!!! DOUBLE DOH!!!)

...anyway... meeting is boring and the early development of the Acura TL for 2014 is hardly a keynote in my week leading into Turkey Day... but at least there is HALF a bottle of wine in the fridge and bag of crackled rice crackers with soy-miso basting waiting for my lick-sore tongue to savor while I catch up on some local news tonight...

-crisp

FIL

Authorized Seller
...just got home from the hospital... and it's all good... :)

Some of you already know my fiancee is (was) pregnant, well, a few weeks ago she had a little high blood pressure /pre-eclampsia scare.. resulting in her antenatal care and birth being switched from a local doctor and our local hospital, to King Edward Memorial Hospital (Western Australia's primary female only hospital, and without a doubt the safest place to give birth in this state - not the flashest in some regards, but by far the safest, and being a public hospital, it's all free as well)

Well, she was due to give birth on or around the 19th of December, and today was at King Edward for a routine checkup, they ran a few tests, asked her how she was feeling and after making sure that pre-eclampsia wasn't an issue at this time, sent her on her way... (She had been having some sort of cramps since some time last night, but they weren't overly intense, and she didn't really know how to describe them, as this is her first baby)

While driving home, she got the first of what we later found out were her real contractions... Not being sure what was going on, she had a shower, noticed the pains hadn't gone away, rang the hospital and told them she was coming back and rang me.. I told my boss she was possibly going into labour, but we weren't sure, as it was 3 weeks early, and he agreed with me that the best thing to do was for me to get the hell out of there and take Kate to hospital... (which is good, cos I would have done it anyway)

Got home, got her into the car and got back on the road again... Tearing up the freeway, passing in the emergency lane when the flashing lights didn't convince people to let me past, Kate at one point said 'it's ok, we've got hours to go yet', to which I replied 'but you're in some real pain right now' and kept on going.. We arrived at King Edward just after 4pm... Dropped her off at the front door and I went to find a parking spot.. By the time I got up to where they were checking her out, they were trying to explain that at this point, it could be either real contractions and a birth, or the placenta could have started to separate early, which would require a different course of action... At this point, one of the midwifes decided an internal exam was required to discern between the 2 possible situations, and she was barely 1 finger into the exam when she exclaimed 'that's the baby's head right there'

It was determined that there was time to move Kate, and a birthing suite available, so she was hurried down the hall on the bed, as the doctor explained that it was too late for any drugs to help with the pain...

at 4:42pm, about 40 minutes after she walked through the hospital doors, our little baby girl was born, all natural, not a single drug administered for the pain, at 2.885kg and 3 weeks early...

They kept an eye on the 2 of them in the birthing suite for a while, as our little girl was a little slow to warm up, and seemed to have a little water on the lungs (both quite normal for a premature baby, apparently), but at 7pm they were both given the all clear to head to a ward, where Kate will stay until sometime tomorrow...

(And hopefully by then, we'll have decided on a name) :)

crisp

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I just read FIL's post above and wanted to both wish you a congratulations and thanks for sharing in one of the greatest moments in one's life, the birth of a child! Obviously, your experience brings with it a much more intense set of circumstances than we generally expect or seek to go through! Many blessings and good health to you, your wife and a special hand of care upon your newborn daughter! By all means, please share her name with us once decided. I made it to all FOUR of my kids births, and every one was a whole new shot of LIFE INJECTION into my world of other diversions... and a welcome and grounding experience at that!

A newborn child definitely puts everything into a whole different perspective. Enjoy as the passages of life rise up to engage you with all manner of details you never knew existed in a daily routine prior to the anticipated arrival... and be thankful for all the sleep you USED to get before it all began! (Recovery from THIS sleep deficit apparently begins at around retirement... or so I've come to suspect!;))

-crisp

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Authorized Seller
...just got back from the Market with Amy, where we survived a full scale blizzard. And, i can limp around at last - woot!

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
...just survived the first of many VERY long days at work with the holidays upon us.

I can't bitch, really. My paychecks are going to be awesome, and my absolutely phenomenal clients will start giving me Christmas tips and goodies here in a few weeks.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
I just had way to much fun in the rain for my own good! I have never had so much fun pedaling it at lights and keeping it in a straight line while letting it blow off :D

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Authorized Seller
...did my back in chopping firewood with a busted ankle. Now everything hurts...OWIE! :'(

honestabe

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I just had dinner at the best steak house in Seattle, bill for 2 people was just over $300 (luckily for me it wasn't on my tab).

crisp

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I just had a work associate bring up "some game" he remembers playing YEARS ago when he was younger that was "all text" and you had to "navigate" with your mind... and I blurted out "ZORK!" For those who REMEMBER those days of Infocom and the EARLY games before graphics and such... from the 8088 processor era and all... you can find ALL YOU NEED to download and play DOS or Windows emulated versions of the COMPLETE TRILOGY of ZORK!

Just Google Zork and go the WIKI for starters... there are many links on there including a great hand-drawn MAP of the game!

...enjoy...

-crisp

crisp

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I just thought I'd pop in and tell MIKE: :biglaugh:

http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/download.html

^^^ NOTE: The DOS download versions in the box at the right on THAT PAGE seem to work GREAT so far! (I'm running them on my NOW antique HP 200LX Palmtop Computer... which, subsequently runs ANYTHING from the IBM PC-xt/at era z8088 and similar machines! SOFTWARE GALORE FOR FREE!!!)

I've also been running it without issue on Windows in Dos emulation... go Infocom!;)

-crisp

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I just put what's left of the turkey in a big ol' pot with some water and herbs to make soup. :) Will be adding an onion and some carrots here shortly.

FIL

Authorized Seller
Just got a little package in the mail, for another little package... :)

A set of baby earmuff's for my little girl, Mikah... Now she can come to the track with us... however, she's still not allowed to get too close to the action, as even with hearing protection, drag racing is still f'ing loud... :) (I'm wondering whether to let her come to the Nitro Funny Car meeting on Boxing Day... I know k8 really wants to come, and I know lots of people who want to see the girls... And also that they'll probably be inside race control when the fuel burners are on track, which takes the noise level down a little as well...)

Anyway, the earmuff's I got are here: http://www.earmuffsforkids.com.au/ems4bubs
They are designed with a headband instead of the usual over the top clamp type of fitting, as the band should be gentler on a small, still developing, skull...

FIL

Authorized Seller
Just wanted to say that she ain't going down on the start line for a long time.... In fact, she won't even be allowed in the normal spectator area when fuel cars are running for quite a while... At least up in race control she won't be able to smell the nitro... and if she gives us any indication that she's not comfortable, she'll be going straight home until she's grown up a little more...

trucker

Authorized Seller
just found out my truck is finally out of the shop after a week. then i found out it was loaned out to a guy who has trashed out three trucks in two weeks.(a front end, a fire, and a tranny). 6 more weeks and im done with this hell hole. i thought my boss was a moron. now i realize he is mentally ill....its a race to see who snaps first.....

honestabe

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I just gave in and bought a new computer and wireless card from Walmart because I need to make money again and this whole sharing the laptop blows chunks. Nothing fancy, just an E-Machine that will require a better video card to play DiRT 2

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I just found a trio of gray hairs.

I am intrigued by this development. No, I have not pulled them out, and I have no intention of it. I eagerly await my mane of silver.

Grandavi

Authorized Seller
I just chuckled at gray hairs.. I modified mine once with a black version.. then opted to go back to stock salt & pepper...

If I dont cut my hair.. my kids tell me their friends wonder about this madman in the Supra that picks them up at school.. cause my hair tends to go crazy a bit..

DreamerTheresa

IJ's Stalker.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I'm just convinced Mike is going to kill me when he wakes up. I'm currently using him to prop up my laptop...

FIL

Authorized Seller
Just wanted to share... (as it's been discussed in this thread earlier...)

For those who are concerned about Mikah's welfare, she only came down to the track about 9pm, wore her earmuffs from the moment she left the car all the way through the pits into race control and watched the racing from there... It's fairly quiet in there, but she still wore them most of the time she was in there too, especially when the nitro cars were out, as they'll shake the windows and do still make a bit of noise :)

More pics of Mikah here: http://www.landbarge.com/coppermine/thumbnails/album=65/page=2/sort=na.html

honestabe

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I just am so proud of myself for saving $140 on a new EGR valve. My Geo Metro's EGR valve was clogged with carbon so instead of replacing it I simply cleaned it out with a can of carb cleaner, a screw driver, and a pick to remove all the carbon build-up. I also installed a new gasket. Total repair cost, $3.50 :D

honestabe

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I just sold my wifes Pathfinder last night for $900 (guy's truck got stolen earlier yesterday), and I just got a new suit (jacket, slacks, dress shirt, and tie) for $35 :D

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Authorized Seller
I just set off a shit ton of fireworks in the local dennys parking lot, With all my friends/the staff helping!!