The Mistress

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
It has extremely fine resolution... too fine, for most things. That's the problem... imagine you are trying to move your finger perfectly parallel to the desk, but 18 inches above it, to 'click'. Consider that selecting a tab on your browser means you have to be accurate within about 5mm up/down and 25mm right/left... and the imaginary plane you cross to 'click' is an inch long.

Maybe it'll get better with practice, but not so far.

Also, your arms get tired.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
It has extremely fine resolution... too fine, for most things. That's the problem... imagine you are trying to move your finger perfectly parallel to the desk, but 18 inches above it, to 'click'. Consider that selecting a tab on your browser means you have to be accurate within about 5mm up/down and 25mm right/left... and the imaginary plane you cross to 'click' is an inch long.

Maybe it'll get better with practice, but not so far.

Also, your arms get tired.
Yeah but you could end up looking like those idiots on the crime shows on TV. So.... Get some practice and impress your house guests!! Haha.

If nothing else it looks like it'd be fun in a 3d art program of some sort.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

turbogate

Life is Boost
Authorized Seller
Contributor
How's your long term impression for the clutch? did you put some more miles on her?

Thanks for documenting everything.

kneedragger85

Authorized Seller
How's your long term impression for the clutch? did you put some more miles on her?

+1 and how many shims/clearance did you need when all said and done? I'm considering this same twin disk for my 2JZ/R-154 and would like a good starting point on shimming.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller

Long(er) term - clutch is really grabby. I'll put up with it for the ease on the pedal pressure. :) Other than that, it's been awesome.

+1 and how many shims/clearance did you need when all said and done? I'm considering this same twin disk for my 2JZ/R-154 and would like a good starting point on shimming.
I didn't keep track of the shims, unfortunately, and it's more complicated than it sounds, as mine came with 4 different shim thicknesses. I did have to pull the tranny several times to get it shimmed right, even after some very precise measurements.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Was having some problems starting, and I checked damn near everything before finally discovering the starter itself was on the way out. Not entirely dead, but close enough, especially with the ambient temps here dropping below freezing recently.

So, I pulled the damn thing out (which, by the way, is no picnic on a 2JZ swapped car) and sent it in for a rebuild. Yesterday it came back, and the missus actually helped re-install it, the sexy thing! Cranks unbelievable well now. :)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
2jz or 7m starter?

It's nice getting new grills. I have a set in the bags still. There lovely little things.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
I'm not sure which starter it is... nothing in the catalog looked like mine, and we pulled up the starters for all the mk4s and a 1989 7M. /me shrugs.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
A few updates...

Old hose clamps:

Rather ugly, if I do say so myself.

New hose clamps. These are thermoplastic, designed to clamp anything, even if the pipes are no longer round. Just slide them on, hit them with a heat gun, and you're done.

In the engine bay itself:

New billet steel timing belt tensioner that I just installed. Matched it up with a new bearing from Toyota, of course. This thing is at least an order of magnitude tougher than the cast aluminum piece it replaced, and the cast units don't seem to hold up well to bigger cams.

And lastly, a new (bad) picture of my engine bay as it sits now. It's bad because, as always, I suck behind a camera. (In front of one, too.)

Silver MK3

Authorized Seller
I was thinking about this thread the other day, I'm glad to see updates. I love the color of your car as well, and just how clean the entire car is. This is definitely one of my favorite MK3's ever.

Those hose clamps are pretty cool. Are they a one time use type of thing or can the be refitted to the pipes if needed?

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Definitely a one time use. They only cost $3 each though, so if I have to take apart the coolant lines, it's only $6 to put it back together.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Some new bits for the Mistress showed up Thursday... they are already on the car, but I haven't taken any new photos other than these... YET. :D

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
And a recent engine bay pic of the Mistress, as of about 10 minutes ago. This shows a bunch of the changes since last year... engine cover from Ian, throttle IC pipe re-route, new power steering reservoir and coolant overflow from Tommy, Willwood adjustable brake proportioning valve from Ron and installed by William, some ARP shiny bits here and there... quite the recipe for happy.

There have been some larger changes as well, (can you say Vipec i88 upgrade?) but those are all hidden away, this is the out in the open shiny bits.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
I really want a different oil cap now. That Greddy one is just too bright. And what I really want is the HKS unit:

However, I haven't been able to find one for the 2J. :(

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
So, had some stuff done recently.

I'd destroyed the pinion and some bearings in the rear end. So, I've switched to a Weir Performance 3:58 ring and pinion, and replaced the bearings with new unobtanium units from the same vendor.

Some misc. electrical bits... my relays for the HID ballasts kept popping due to water contamination, so I've added waterproof relays and sockets. My idle control plug still worked, but it was smashed on one side, so that's been replaced.

I've never been fond of the intake pipe off the turbo, the pie cuts weren't the same size... so I got Tommy to weld me up a new setup that looks a lot sexier IMO. Pic for attention:

Silver MK3

Authorized Seller
Looks clean as usual GrimJack! I was beginning to worry about you and the Supras. Your Supra is one of the nicest, most well done one's around. Glad to see you're still working on it.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
I'm rapidly running out of things to do with it, to be honest. Definitely slowed down a lot over the last year. So instead, I've been out racing it! Had a great couple days at The Ridge motorsports last summer. I highly suggest giving it a try if you've never been on a road course track.

Silver MK3

Authorized Seller
I'm rapidly running out of things to do with it, to be honest. Definitely slowed down a lot over the last year. So instead, I've been out racing it! Had a great couple days at The Ridge motorsports last summer. I highly suggest giving it a try if you've never been on a road course track.
I can understand what you mean about running out of things to do to it. I'm kinda there with mine too since I want to keep mine mostly stock too. I don't drive it nearly as much anymore, but I still love it and when I do drive it it makes it a little more special. That's just what happens as cars get older I guess.

That's great that you've been out racing it though! Any pics or videos? I would love to make it out to a road track sometime. I only have a lowly N/A, but I think I could still have a good time. It certainly isn't a race car, but I would love to push it a little harder than I can safely on the streets. I think the closest one to me is in Atlanta, I'm not sure if they allow runs like that. We used to have an Autocross thing here too, but I think it got shut down by the city because they wanted to turn the old parking lot into something else that we don't want...

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Most of us would love to be able to say we're running out of things to do. Love the new turbo inlet pipe.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
No video of the road course track yet. The Ridge is a new track, only been around a few years, and one of the things it *doesn't* have yet is any kind of spectator area. Also, it stretches out over a relatively large area.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Last weekend I spent two days racing at The Ridge... and got some video!

So, here is come video of The Ridge from my buddy's car. For the first couple minutes he's following me, then I pointed him by so he could follow another guy in the group. This gives you at least some idea of the turns and elevation changes. That downhill corner is a LOT more extreme than it looks on video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr_o9gAtRCk&feature=youtu.be

MNBmk3T

Authorized Seller
Track looks like a blast! Like Grandavi said, I wouldn't attempt the course on stock brakes either.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
I decided that even with the super hard springs, the stock swaybars still allow too much body roll. So, I installed a set of ST swaybars yesterday. Haven't had much chance to check out the difference yet, but even just scooting around town yesterday I can tell it's running flatter in the corners.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Thicker swaybars improve our cars drastically. The differences is night and day and it makes the car so much more responsive. Great move.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Last weekend I spent two days racing at The Ridge... and got some video!

So, here is come video of The Ridge from my buddy's car. For the first couple minutes he's following me, then I pointed him by so he could follow another guy in the group. This gives you at least some idea of the turns and elevation changes. That downhill corner is a LOT more extreme than it looks on video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr_o9gAtRCk&feature=youtu.be
That's awesome stuff Dave. I need to get mine out for a track day. Looks like a blast!

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
Authorized Seller
What tires are you tracking and in what sizes?

Before I knew what it was like to track a car, I decided on a 235/275 f/r setup on the supra. Needless to say, I don't have enough rubber up front. I run 275 fronts on my current track car, but I know there is no way I'm fitting a tire this wide on the supra. Hoping to run 255.