The Mistress

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
So, I've been fighting with the fuel pump setup for quite some time, and after trying a bunch of options, and failing to fit options in the available space (no, you can NOT put dual Denso Mk4 pumps in through the stock hole) I've just ordered up the parts to replace the entire system with dual Aeromotive Stealth 340 pumps in tank.

Should be significantly quieter, and give me a lot more headroom. I'm a big fan of too damn big, keeps me from running into trouble. I might need a bigger alternator though, these things can pull quite a bit of current at full bore.

PS: Stay tuned for some lightly used and new pumps for sale!

Grandavi

Authorized Seller
Clutch and flywheel.. My spec 2+ sucks... I get a shudder when downshifting and a howl shifting first and second...

Gonna have to get a different setup. What clutch is that?

turbogate

Life is Boost
Authorized Seller
Contributor
That's the mighty Clutchmaster FX850. Did you get it with the steel or Aluminum flywheel? Nice addition! Please let us know how it drives, feels etc.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
So, after the usual Saturday night BBQ, some of the crew stuck around and helped start pulling the tranny. Including one of the girlfriends! I should have taken a picture of her hands... she was solid black grime to the elbows, with fancy nails sticking out at the ends! :)

Everything is disconnected but the top two bolts. Fuckers.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
That's the mighty Clutchmaster FX850. Did you get it with the steel or Aluminum flywheel? Nice addition! Please let us know how it drives, feels etc.
Steel flywheel.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted on how it drives. Rumor has it the thing acts like a switch, either on or off, but I figure you get used to what you have.

Poodles

I play with fire
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Steel flywheel.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted on how it drives. Rumor has it the thing acts like a switch, either on or off, but I figure you get used to what you have.
Eh, people say that about my clutch...and I can hold my car on a hill with clutch/gas.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
I was considering this Clutchmasters unit, the RPS carbon / carbon, and the Tilton triple plate. It really came down to delivery time... Tilton was a possible 6 month waiting list, RPS was 4-6 weeks minimum, and the guy at Clutchmasters got this shipped, to my door, INTERNATIONAL, in 2 days flat.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
So, progress so far:
- Transmission pulled
- Clutch disassembled
- Flywheel pulled (OMG, this is SO MUCH EASIER with air tools!!!)
- ARP flywheel bolts cleaned, threads in crank chased
- Measurements made for release bearing spacer

turbogate

Life is Boost
Authorized Seller
Contributor
So, progress so far:
- Transmission pulled
- Clutch disassembled
I was just about to say that a small write-up/documentation of the installation process for this clutch will be greatly appreciated in the future, especially if you run into some unexpected challenges. :)

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Actually, it looks pretty straightforward, with the exception that the installation docs don't list throw bearing to pressure plate freeplay clearance. That's on my list of things to ask the guys at Clutchmasters when I talk to them this week.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Authorized Seller
So, progress so far:
- Transmission pulled
- Clutch disassembled
how ya chase the threads???? did you just use a stock bolt and use zip disc to score a line or 2 down the threads ?

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
New clutch is in, transmission is back on, with only two bolts, and they are NOT the hard ones, of course, but they aren't the easiest ones, either.

Left to do...
- bellhousing bolts
- starter
- mount and bleed the new push conversion clutch slave
- driveshaft
- engine mounts
- fuel filler neck mount
- fuel tank heat shield
- exhaust
- mount new -8 fuel line properly

New loot showed up today...

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
New push type clutch slave mounted, driveshaft installed, engine mounts done, fuel filler neck reconnected at the top, hatch reassembled, fuel line mounted...

Still to go: Bleed clutch, fuel tank heat shield, exhaust, battery, add fuel, fire it up, check for leaks...

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
She RUNS! And moves, too.

Initial impressions on the clutch are nice... light pedal, not too noisy when the pedal is down, I can feather it from a dead stop to start the car without using the gas at all.

Initial impressions on the Aeromotive stealth pumps... these things are QUIET. Like so quiet I had to turn down the stereo in the garage to make sure they were turning on.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Somewhere over 1k hp, depending on boost pressure. They push 340 lph, so two of them is very close to running triple wallys.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Installed the Fluidamper over the weekend. Had it on the dyno last week, and blew off the flex pipe between the wastegate and the exhaust. We jerry rigged the existing pipe back into place, ordered a new flex section, and I'll have Tommy weld that in this week, then back on the dyno she goes.

No fuel issues at all while it was on the dyno, though, which is nice.

Clutch update: Seems to be getting quieter as it breaks in. I'm still only 200 km into the 700 km break in period.

I suppose I'm going to have to update the first page summary one of these days. Pretty sure it's way out of date.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
New tires are broken in, and they are different to say the least. At least twice as much effort to turn the steering wheel now, which is odd, as the tires are only 10mm wider. Wonder how well it'll hold the corners on autocross now?

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Alignment is in the cards anyway - I lifted the front end back up half an inch because I'm bloody tired of dragging the exhaust over every little bump in the road.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Oh... had Bill do some more work on the tune. Not the best conditions, it's 35c inside the shop during the day, but even so, he squeezed a bit more out of it. Still just pump fuel, of course, I've got no use for a race fuel tune.
20130726_181328a.jpg

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Authorized Seller
^ you should buy my old trubo just littel bigger then ya got now just on the exhuast thou

t67/68 with a 81 a/r

I think your is is a 65 if remember right with a 68 a/r

?????

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Mine is a 67 with a .68 exhaust. I don't think I'd like giving up spool for a bit more top end - I almost never use the power anyway, and area under the curve beats top power numbers every time.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
That Leap device looks pretty neat Dave. What are you planning on using that for?

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
That Leap device looks pretty neat Dave. What are you planning on using that for?
Well... I *was* planning on using it to make my computer system into a touch screen. Unfortunately, after some fiddling, I don't think that's going to happen. It's really good for grand, sweeping motions - but it's really, really, terrible when it comes to fine tuning.