The hottest 25 collector cars this summer (2018 edition)

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Made the list. Finally!

Hagerty's listed the 1986–92 Toyota Supra with a score of 92 in the top 25 hottest collector cars.

The first four passenger vehicles are all Japanese sports cars. The 1986–92 and 1993– 98 editions of the Toyota Supra broke into the Top 25 the last time around and remain strong, tied for 11th with 92 points. They are followed by the 1992–2002 Mazda RX-7 (91) and 1977–81 Toyota Celica (90). The 1984–89 Toyota MR2, eighth last time, slipped slightly but still carries a solid 78-point total.

“Japanese cars have been getting more attention for several reasons,” Newton says. “They’re typically newer than most vehicles we tend to think of as ‘classics,’ but many are still old enough for nostalgia to kick in. A lot of the neat cars that were coming out when Gen Xers and Millennials were growing up were Japanese. Buyers seem to be placing a higher priority on reliability in a collector car, and the Japanese cars certainly have that going for them when well cared for.”

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/08/01/hottest-collector-cars-of-summer-2018

hag.jpg

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
always nice to see, my pre89 still doesnt garner much at attention compared to its 89+ counterparts

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Interesting to see it gaining some attention.
I have always liked that few people even know what my car is.
I prefer to stay under the radar.

This might help drive up values some, though I have no intention of ever selling.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
The way I see that list, the mk3 and mk4 Supras are the highest ranked cars. All higher rankings are of trucks/SUVs. That's pretty sweet.

Although i'm confused by the lack of the obvious all-stars. Where are the Porsches? 993/964 anyone?! Why is the E46 M3 on there, but not the E39 M5? Where's the NSX?! Viper?

At any rate, awesome to see the mk3 on the rise.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yeah its odd, the list is missing a LOT of cars that should be there.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Its just based on price appreciation, quote interest, and auction activity. Its really more like making a list based from a business perspective, not how much car nut interest there is or how super rare or whatever else you can think of. So don't take it as be all/ end all of lists, just one way of looking at things.

"Ratings above 50 indicate above-average appreciation, while vehicles below a 50-point rating are lagging behind the market. The rating is data driven and takes into account the number of vehicles insured and quoted through Hagerty, along with auction activity and private sales results. "

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
But hasn't the MKIV Supra always demanded attention and high prices at auction and in the used market?
Why does it hit the list now?

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The MK4 was on the list last year. In fact it had a higher score of 97.

This list highlights cars whose values as a percentage are going up fast. The MK4 is getting pretty expensive and it will be harder for it to continue to appreciate at the rate it has in the past.

There is the other list, which is the 25 cars at the bottom end. The super expensive Countach gets a 27. This is a $1M car, but the price is flat and there is low sales activity. That doesn't mean its not a super car with huge historical importance, just that as an investment its not showing any price gain anymore.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vi...1/25-cars-getting-no-love-from-classic-buyers

Last edited:

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
That one is also an automatic.
Looks like they just detailed heavily all the visible bits and are trying to get a boatload for it.
Underside looks about as you would expect for a Michigan car.

Exterior looks nice though.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Yeah, they're dreaming at that price point. Really nice car, but that's overpriced by about two fold.

Weird that there are no decent interior pics. That would be the shining jewel for most cars with that low mileage, in the rarest, most sought-after color for the generation.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
That 94' with 7k miles sold for 121,000 on BAT.

I hope they have good security, the buyer noted it's going to north side Chicago Toyota dealership.
Probably going to use it to help draw people in to buy the upcoming new "Supra".

Comment from buyer on BAT.
zleist 63
Its being added to the Chicago Northside Toyota Showroom
Ask for Zach

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Hot damn. That's nuts. That's a really one-off car with those miles, but definitely an indication of rising values of those mk4s.

That's a record breaker right there. Very cool.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
For a 91 Turbo:
#1 Concours: $40k
#2 Excellent $25k
#3 Good $15,900
#4 Fair $9,200

-15% for auto trans

Damn. I may need to update my stated-value insurance plan. That definitely makes me feel better about spending large quantities of time on a car I bought for $2000.