The Hot Rod Power Tour, Supra Powered Maverick

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I want to thank everyone again for voting for me in the Spectre Performance Maverick contest, it definitely helped us win this thing.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60218

Not sure if you guys remember, I ran across this contest at last years Hot Rod Power Tour. At the time, I looked at the poor little thing, it had an inline 6, 3 speed auto in it, and I told myself, this little dude really needs is a Supra drivetrain!

Here's a great story on it's demise.
http://www.supramania.com/photobucket/post-921405-2-page1.jpg
http://www.supramania.com/photobucket/post-921405-3-page2.jpg

Half of the contest was decided by internet voting, and the other half was decided in house. Well, what I've come to learn is that Spectre already had (2) 2JZ-GTE's in house already, just waiting to put them into something. So unfortunately the 7M crowd won't quite be represented as I had hoped for, but SupraMania.com will definitely be in full support on this build.

THIS WILL BE THE OFFICIAL BUILD THREAD OF THE POWER TOUR MAVERICK PROJECT

However, it get's even better yet. The shop that was going to build the car cannot get it finished in time for the Tour, so I proposed to Spectre that we build it here in Austin. The shop forman, Mladen Miladinovic, flew in from Ontario, CA yesterday and met with us all, and its a go. The fabrication work will get done at my buddy David Dean's hot rod shop, and I will finish wiring the car and work all the bugs out of it. Trust me, first off it's a company car, alot of the Supra Community will be repesented here, it will HAVE to represent at the Drag Strip on the Tour, my wife and I are stuck in it for a week, breaking down is NOT an option.

The best part about it, Spectre is currently working with Hot Rod Magazine to do a series on the build progress. That would be the cream on the cake for sure. I will keep my promise, SupraMania.com will definitely be along for the ride.

This is a current list of the parts that we have coming for the project, this car will be one kick ass Hot Rod. The power goal is 500RWHP, perfectly balanced car, which should be a really fun ride in that little car.

Rod & Custom Motorsports Mustang II Front Suspension: LINK:
Rod & Custom Motorsports Rear Triangulated 4 Bar Rear Coilover Kit: LINK:
9” Ford Rear End with 3.89:1 gears:
Rear Disc Brake kit for 9” Ford Rear End:
Wilwood Engineering Brake/Clutch pedal assembly: LINK:
2JZ with a nice single kit:
Momo Seats:
Rear Seat delete with Speakers, Amps and Air Conditioning all built into it: LINK:

...........and I get my exhaust system that I designed.
This:

Plus this:

Equals this:

It will be center exit, under the fuel tank, all polished stainless. The car should have a sound all it's own.

I am still needing a transmission. Definitely want to go with a stick so I'm currently looking for an R-154, preferably in the SoCal area, or Central Texas area. Boost Logic here in Austin has the flywheel and bellhousing available.

I am also needing to figure out the best way to build a fuel tank to convert to fuel injection if anyone can assist, I'm thinking an Aeromotive A-1000 would be the easiest route. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

All input is welcome, let's have fun with this one guys. Newer sketches should be up by the weekend.

-Lance

Last edited:

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Authorized Seller
Re: The Power Tour Supra Powered Maverick

you're crazy, and thats why we're supporting you :)

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Re: The Power Tour Supra Powered Maverick

Thanks Clip, did I mention that I'm older than I.J., but not as grumpy!

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Older than IJ, well, that's tough to believe, but not as grumpy is pretty easy to swallow. :)

Congrats again, and good luck getting this thing together.

CTsupra

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Awesome! I've been waiting for this thread! I must say one thing, though...

I'm really disappointed that they're not using a 7m like you designed and that we all voted for...

Doward

Banned
Disappointed no 7M, really. Would have been an amazing amount of publicity for the motor!

Have fun with it, either way

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Yeah im a little dissappointed as well, i was hoping for some more respect to be gained for the 7M motor as well. The MKIV guys are going to have a field day with this one over on SupraForums. Either way good luck with the build.

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Yeah, I was really disappointed too. I really wanted to do this build to represent the MKIII community, but it will carry the flag for SupraMania though.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Authorized Seller
2j ftw!! Wouldn't represent very well if the 7M got rod knock on the tour :)

Lance-let me know if you still need to borrow my R154, I spent most of the week drinking beer instead of working on my engine so it won't be going in for a few weeks...

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Authorized Seller
Contributor
My 7M's don't get Rod Knock!

Thanks Josh, or we can just hang out and drink more beer!:biglaugh:

It will definitely be a 2JZ-GTE. They're already in house, they're built and we're short on time, so yeah, it will be a 2JZ-GTE

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Authorized Seller
My 7M's don't get Rod Knock!

Thanks Josh, or we can just hang out and drink more beer!:biglaugh:

It will definitely be a 2JZ-GTE. They're already in house, they're built and we're short on time, so yeah, it will be a 2JZ-GTE
Sold :) And thanks for using a 2jz-gte instead of doing a NA-T 2jzge, we don't want word getting out to ensure that there's ample supply of $250 motors for a long time to come :naughty:

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Authorized Seller
Contributor
They want the Maverick to have a Muscular/Road Racer feel to it. This is what I've come up with so far.

Aluminum Splitter................

Cougar Taillights................

MKIV Taillights

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Congrats Lance!

Maybe these guys could help with the fuel tank... http://www.rickshotrodshop.com/

The A1000's can be mounted in-tank and will support that power, so it may just be what you need.....

If theres any way i can help (which i doubt...:)) Lemme know!

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Please no Mk4 tails. The Cougar tails look good though and I like the whale tail.

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I like the Cougar tails the best also, they remind me of a Shelby.

Bryan, thanks for the link. The guys building this are the two guys that I mentioned to you had fabrication shops here that can never find good help. All you need to do is pack a suitcase. :biglaugh: Yeah, if only it were that easy. Can't wait to see you in Houston.

Yes sir, older, but no where near as grumpy!

Cryo, Spectre Performance is supplying all of the parts and paying for the build. I'm sure that they will have other venders sponsor parts as well, as it will be one of the lead cars on the Power Tour. They are also paying for all of the expenses for my wife and I to drive it on the Power Tour as my prize. Unfortunately, after the Tour, they take it back to L.A.

Sawbladz, I hear ya' man, loud and clear.

Doward

Banned
I can't believe my wife hasn't seen this yet :rofl:

That said, I actually think the stock Maverick tails look the best!

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Authorized Seller
NO WING!!! OMG, NO WING!! Please, anything other than that...please?? LOL.

Okay, my rational thoughts, now. Just keep in mind, I'm not offering any mechanical suggestions here...I'll leave that to the people who know what they are talking about. :)

I'm finding I'm not really liking the Cougar or MKIV, but between the 2, I'd go with the MKIV. I like the stock tail lights myself, are there maybe some other options available for you, or that you would be willing to look into?

The splitter looks good, so long as it goes with the color scheme of the car, obviously (see below image). I'm very picky. I like to see cars stay along the original lines...I've found a few that just made me cream myself, thought I'd post them here for you.

**I'm trying to find a replacement for my first car, which was a 1974 Maverick. I miss it something fierce.....although we may have just found one for sale about 60 miles from here, yay!!**

Attachments

suprarich

Congrats Lance! My whole family voted for you! Why not the v160 tranny? Why only 500hp? Would kill all the HOT ROD readers to see a 3.0L 1000hp Maverick

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Thanks Rich,
I haven't been able to locate a V-160, not for less than $3,500 anyways.
As far as the HP numbers, 500 should be plenty in that little car, plus it can always get bumped up. The main thing is a nice all around street car that can be driven across the country.

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Authorized Seller
Rajunz - Not sure if you are interested, or if you already know, but the guys *and girls* at this forum are really helpful: www.mmb.maverick.to

When I was doing some minor restoration work on my original Maverick, they were more than willing to help out and offer advice. I know you are doing the Supra engine and mechanics, but they might be able to offer some suggestions for the rest of it. Hope it helps!! :)

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Thanks so much. I have been talking to a few people from that site, they are all really cool and very helpful. I'm sure as time goes on there will be lots of questions for them.

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Authorized Seller
Thanks so much. I have been talking to a few people from that site, they are all really cool and very helpful. I'm sure as time goes on there will be lots of questions for them.
You're welcome. :) I just got back on there today, I finally got my project Maverick I've been waiting 4 years for. Time for me to have a play toy now!! :D

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Cool vid. I'd love to do the power tour one year. It's on my list of car related shit to do someday.

Poodles

I play with fire
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Doward's concept scetch is great, the body mods are near perfect, and I'd like to see the rear tire tucked a bit like that to get the car off it's nose.

Not the color, but the rest is great.

Big brakes that can be seen through the wheels, That spoiler or maybe do something fun...see how a pre-89 MKIII spoiler fits on it...

I can locate an R154 for you if needed, I know where to get em around here...

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Yes Sean, please find me an R-154, still need a good one, with a shifter. We have Baer Big Brake kit for the car, so that will look cool. Got to find the right looking wheels to go with them, I want a billet wheel.

As far as the color, only time will tell what we can do about that. Need to have a perfect running car before anything else. The paint on the car is really nice, just not the most wonderful shade of blue.

I am still working on sketches for the spoilers, etc. I'll keep posting them as I complete them. I really like the sketches that Doward posted, that car has the perfect look.

This is the latest car built for Spectre Performance, on the "Hard Shine" TV show, that's the look that they would like for all of their shop cars! This is the caliber of car that will be built for the Maverick, I'm sorry if my sketches don't actually portray the final product.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Authorized Seller
That el camino is badass, I watched that episode. I didn't realize it was the same guys, the mav is going to get the crap driven out of it :)

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
Authorized Seller
As far as the HP numbers, 500 should be plenty in that little car, plus it can always get bumped up. The main thing is a nice all around street car that can be driven across the country.
saweeet, muscle car looks with toyota reliability to get you any where you want to go.:biglaugh:

Poodles

I play with fire
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Lance: I know of a salvage yard around here that has quite a few supras, and last I looked they had some R154's sitting there.

Honestly I'd have one rebuilt, and I'd have Marlin Crawler do it if possible.

Shifter? Why not just get a nice C's shifter? Depends on what's all in the budget for all of this...

Still think you should try mounting a pre-89 MKIII rear wing on it...

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Been busy as all hell trying to get all of the pieces of this puzzle in on place.
The Maverick showed up Monday, loaded with parts, and more shipping daily.
Baer 13" full race brake kit, Momo racing seats all shipped with the car.

I'm going to pull the instrument cluster this Saturday and build an aluminum dash panel. Then I'll take the panel home and with it, the MKIV wiring harness and these goodies I should be able to build a nice dash all wired into the wiring harness.

Stereo components that shipped in the car.

Engines that are shipping:

Lots of pics here, enjoy and keep checking back for updates.
-Lance

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/rajunz/maverick/2jz/