The dreaded hood latch failure

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
Basically just opening a thread to vent a little because it seems I've got the worst issue on an MK3 second only to the BHG -- the busted hood latch. Seems like the problem is at the latch mechanism itself, because pulling on the lever moves the cable enough. I then removed the driver-side wheel well cover and tried yanking on the cable from there with pliers. At first I thought I got lucky and felt and heard what sounded like success, but I think I just broke what was already broken even more, because nothing at all happens anymore when tugging on the cable. I've also poked at the front release lever from below, and that didn't do anything, but I didn't really expect it to without getting through the first release stage where the hood pops up a bit.

And I say second worst issue to BHG because of all the threads I've read, it seems like there's no easy solution and it's a major pain in the ass to fix this. That said, if anyone has some tips to share based on everything I've described so far, I'm all ears. Fortunately I don't necessarily need to get into the engine bay for anything critical at this time, but there is an exhaust leak happening at the manifold that is getting worse and I will want to address that at some point. And then there's usual maintenance stuff, too, of course.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Make a list of things to tackle and just fix one issue at a time, do not put too much on your plate or you will be overwhelmed. On the exhaust manifold you should helicoil all 7 of the exhaust studs on the cylinder head because stripped studs are common.

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
Make a list of things to tackle and just fix one issue at a time, do not put too much on your plate or you will be overwhelmed. On the exhaust manifold you should helicoil all 7 of the exhaust studs on the cylinder head because stripped studs are common.
Funny thing is the exhaust manifold leak was the "only" repair I had queued up until the hood issue. Had just gotten the AC up and running and various other electrical gremlins fixed and was ready to just enjoy it.

One thing I also tried but didn't mention was that I did also try having one person pull up on the hood while I worked the release lever. Someone on IG mentioned spraying some lubricant into the latch and I feel like an idiot for not spraying at least something up in there while I had access today.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
If you covered shipping both ways, I have the exhaust helicoil kit I bought from Napa with some extra stainless steel helicoils I can include that you are welcome to use. I did this right away to my new Cressida 7m cylinder head I recently put on, my JDM cylinder head and I did this 12 years ago when the previous owner thought my Supra had a rod knock because the exhaust leak was soo bad lol.

I use Super Lube grease on all the door jams, hood and latch mechanisms. It works very good to prevent problems once it is open.

The hood cable runs under the driver fender wheel well cover, if you plan on replacing the hood release cable anyways you can cut it from this point and pull on the cable as hard as you can to see if it will release but that would be my last resort. You should be able to open it with a long flat head screwdriver or long needle nose pliers if all else fails. Take a look at some ebay auctions for hood latches and it might help you better understand where you want to try to open it up from under the Supra.