Targa headliner

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Ya, I pulled the headliner off of a spare targa awhile ago. A few of the clips were corroded and ripped out of the headliner. It is repairable, just need a bit of glue. The headliner is like a formed cardboard material, so it should be simple to fix. When you pull yours off, try to use a plastic wedge tool to pull the headliner at each clip location, that might help.

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
Ya, I pulled the headliner off of a spare targa awhile ago. A few of the clips were corroded and ripped out of the headliner. It is repairable, just need a bit of glue. The headliner is like a formed cardboard material, so it should be simple to fix. When you pull yours off, try to use a plastic wedge tool to pull the headliner at each clip location, that might help.
Thanks dude good to know!! Enraged, I got as far as tearing out the old weather strip and removed all six screws, and pried on the on the interior molding but it doesn't seem want to corporate, however I tend to be gentle, nothing is worse than busted parts that don't need to be busted. Is the channel for the weather strip separate from the drip rail? Or is it one piece?? Whats holding it on? What do I need to do, to remove the side trim, stop pussy footing around and ape it off?? Thanks Again!

Last edited:

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
on my spare top, the previous jackass had siliconed/rtved the seals on, so taking them off was a bitch. there are screws under the seals, I think that was all that was keeping them on. The interior plastic piece, seal holder, and drip rail all came off as a single part. Before you brute force it, make sure you've removed all the screws, a few on mine were hidden by rtv

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
on my spare top, the previous jackass had siliconed/rtved the seals on, so taking them off was a bitch. there are screws under the seals, I think that was all that was keeping them on. The interior plastic piece, seal holder, and drip rail all came off as a single part. Before you brute force it, make sure you've removed all the screws, a few on mine were hidden by rtv
All one piece, great!!!!!
Thank and this is extremely helpful!!!!

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
Please post some photos of this. I cannot find any good tutorials on seal repair. If there is one, someone please post a link.
I followed Engarges directions, so far so good, if you want I can photograph my targa adventure. Just so you know, there is NO WAY you can salvage the seals, you will end up buying new ones.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
if you see someone trying to use sealant rather than replace them, kick them in the nuts. I still need to figure out how to scrape rtv out of my trim without damaging the metal. Might need to use scotchbrite on a die grinder, such a pain in the ass. All because some jackass didn't want to spend $100 on seals.

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
if you see someone trying to use sealant rather than replace them, kick them in the nuts. I still need to figure out how to scrape rtv out of my trim without damaging the metal. Might need to use scotchbrite on a die grinder, such a pain in the ass. All because some jackass didn't want to spend $100 on seals.
As for me, this is what I did:: I used a combination of the following, goo gone, I wrapped a scrapper tool ( screw driver or chisel with a rag) and goo gone, a thick bass guitar string and a small screw driver to keep the pressure on the guitar string and raked (pulled) the guitar string through the channel where the seal sits, and a combination of Demal tool and cut off wheel, I used an mini Dremal tool with a small cut off wheel to clear the channel out ( obviously no downward pressure)I used the cut off wheel with texture on both sides and not the cut off wheel that looks like a mini saw blade, a 90 degree pick, and a tube of elbow grease, ( I'll post pictures) it came out not bad at all, (fair) ( pretty clean). The cut off wheel and the 90 degree pick did most of the work..the guitar string worked for the smaller seal left overs

Last edited: