T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

MK3pizzadriver

Authorized Seller
Was going to get my ct26 rebuilt/upgraded to a 57 trim but I found two hairline cracks on the wastegate port. Made an offer didn't really think CxRacing would agree to, but they did so here I am lol. Thought it had a 60mm compressor when I bought it, since they advertise it as "60 trim", but it's actually 66.6mm. I planned to return it but I liked it's truly divided wastegate and the thing really does appear to be pretty well made.. I spooled it up with my leaf blower and it spooled up nice and smooth. Seems balanced.. enough xD

I cut the gasket that came with the divorced downpipe so no useless parts of it would be exposed to the exhaust stream. Ebay gasket... probably would burn up over time, little bits getting stuck in my catalytic converter. Had some copper anti-seize compound lying around so I used that to mark where to cut lol. Dremel cut-off wheel was too big to make the curves so I used a drill bit in the tight corners and worked both sides of the gasket with the cut-off wheel in some parts (smaller profile if you're only cutting 1/2 way through).
Took a little too much off in one spot but it'll work. Going to glue it to the turbo with some high-temp copper sealant so it won't move around during install. Need it to stay in just the right spot.

Last edited:

williamb82

Authorized Seller
Any updates or new dynos for this turbo? I grabbed one over the weekend as the price was almost free, and it came with the oil lines. Guy said he didn't like the lag (he built his car for drifting), he was on stock ecu and injectors though, and was only running the 5 or so psi as he would hit fuel cut. Ive read the thread and plan to make sure the wastegate arm cant move by drilling and installing a set screw (grub screw as the Aussies call it) and then sealing the compressor housing with ultra gray. I plan to preload the actuator to ~18psi or so. If it wont hold the boost I want I will order the dual port Turbonetics actuator. Plan is to boost it to 20-25psi, maybe higher if I start running e85. Still no local pumps to me.

The thing that is interesting, and I haven't seen anyone point out, is that the compressor wheel is larger than the 670hp bolt on turbo SP Engineering used to sell. The turbine wheel is larger as well. The only difference I can see is the SP compressor housing is larger. 4in inlet, 2.5in outlet, the t61 is 3in inlet, 2.5in outlet. Haven't seen but a couple dyno's. One guy made 402rwhp at 15psi on this turbo. I think it will eclipse 500rwhp easily with the right mods and tuning at 20+ psi.

My 7mgte will run this turbo after I rebuild it. Currently on a 57 trim ct26. My mods will be 780cc/min injectors, 3in divorced dp, 3in exhaust, 3in i/c pipes to 24x12x4 i/c, ffim with 75mm tb, ported intake runners, ported head, ported exhaust manifold, ms2 with 4 bar map sensor, os giken tripple plate clutch, r154, etc... Weak links will be the stock mk2 axles/wheel hubs/diff stubs. Ill also swap my walbro 255lph pump to a 450lph pump. Should be interesting. Then again, hopefully soon I can get to work building the new control arms to mount my 8.8 ford diff and wont have any issues (crossing fingers).

JISupra88

Authorized Seller
bump. I just wanted to check in with the past users of the ebay t61 turbos.

are these turbos still something to upgrade to? prices went up to over $500 for them now.

I haven't seen any threads regarding these...
cx racing also came out with a "dual ball bearing" version with an upgraded billet wheel for a little over $700.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-Dual-Ball-Bearing-T61-Billet-Turbo-For-86-92-Supra-MK3-7MGTE-Engine/183750088148?epid=8020806836&hash=item2ac85bd5d4:g:4ugAAOSw-UBbMI1j
I see they also came out with a "dual bearing" version without the upgraded billet wheel for a little less.

I'm planning to try the t61 dual ball bearing with the billet compressor wheel versus going for a ct26 57trim upgrade.

CJGordon897mgte

Authorized Seller
I'm considering buying this turbo also. I already ordered the cx racing turbo elbow that eliminates that "wall" in the factory one. How do these hold up?

I'm also curious about the oil line kit they sell with it. In their pictures it looks like the feed line replaces the factory oil pressure sensor. Any alternatives to this? I bought a 3 way adapter that will allow the new line to thread in the side but I'm worried about spacing the sensor out that far.