Switching to Toyota Red coolant from green. Regular or chemical flush?

AaronB

Authorized Seller
With a new radiator going in I'm finally going back to the Toyota Red coolant. The car came with green, and I would use the Prestone "safe for all models" green stuff to fill up / top off. I've read about the silicates in the green sticking to gaskets and stuff making the engine a little less happy, so would I be better off doing a chemical flush with 420cf or the like? Or just a regular flush with a few cycles of distilled water to clean all the old stuff out. I know either way is probably fine, but I'm trying to do everything proper.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
AutoZone has a few different types of radiator flush chemicals when I was there last time. I personally would run a few cycles with regular tap water some radiator flush in each one and drain it out a few times. Then I would use distilled water mixed with the Toyota red for the grand finale.

Make sure you have you heat on full while you are doing your flush and it is a good time to clean out the coolant reservoir tank also if you have not done so.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Agreed with @plaaya69 . Use one of the clean out bottles from Prestone. My approach is generally:

1. Drain all old stuff, including block drain.
2. Fill with water (Demineralized, if possible)
3. Drain.
4. Follow prestone instructions.
5. drain, fill with Toyota Red.

AaronB

Authorized Seller
Awesome, thanks for the advice guys. Once I get a day off I'll do a few flushes. Working on cleaning out the bottle now.