Suspiciously Slow JZA70

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Authorized Seller
well I did it again. bought my 4th Supra the other day, this one a '91 JZA70 Limited, black targa auto with shadow grey interior.
I picked it up from Japan Direct Motors in Columbia, SC and could not be happier with my experience with them.

Follow on IG: @yhatzee89

I supplied my own wheels/tires, steering wheel, exhaust, and intake as part of the sale. all of which I had sitting in my garage waiting on a car.

CURRENT MODIFICATIONS:

HKS intake
Polished cam covers
Blitz ECU
440cc injectors
ShaftMasters one piece aluminum drive shaft
LIPP Trac bars
HKS TEMS controller
TRD Momo steering wheel
Whiteline front sway bar
Recaro speed seats
Tenabe cat-back exhaust
Kenwood GPS head unit
Polished SVT Cobra wheels
TTR lip
LED dash conversion
TTR Recaro floor mats
AutoExtrude cup holder
LED dome lights
LED headlights
LED fog lights
DigiDash converted to MPH
Built in USB charging port
Euro turn signals with LED bulbs
TRD oil cap

so I found the ad at about 02:00 am on Monday night, told my wife I was gonna go get it at 06:00, and finally got on the road to go get it at about 1:30.

(I got rid of the floor mats before I even left the lot)

got it home safe and sound and the work began:

Put my exhaust on

Update: 6/19/17
I've done some little things on the car since I got it

Like putting on my wheels

Only to realize they won't fit over the BenzBBK [emoji20]

(Wheels FS!!! Lol)

Also got a proper intake pipe/filter

And promptly polished it

Ripped out my beautiful seats

And replaced them with my Recaros

And my Recaro floor mats

Installed my HKS TEMS controller, GPS head unit, and cup holder from AutoExtrude

Installed my Whiteline sway bar, Lipp trac-bars, and aluminum 1pc DS

Repainted my front shroud

And added a front plate [emoji4]

That's it so far...

Update 7/19/17
Well I've narrowed down the no start issue to either the ECU or ignitor. I had the caps replaced in the ECU but it's still giving me code 14.

Also got myself some new wheels for $300 with decent tires, SVT Cobra. Polished the faces and painted the insets

Polished my cam covers

Even got a new decals

Converted the digital dash from KPH to MPH as well as upgrading to LEDs

I had to create a new speedo sensor wheel in order to get the cluster to read in miles instead of kilometers

All together. I think it came out really well

Upgraded a few other things to LEDs while I was at it

Rplaced the old lip with a TTR one that had to be repaired first

And even put on some new hood struts

I got one of those rediculous dash mats just to prevent cracking the dash

And sprayed all my column plastics with rubberized undercoating to deaden any hollow rattling sounds

UPDATE 7/6/17

Car is back up and running. Had to get a completely new ECU, ended up getting a Blitz ECU but it was tuned for 440s so I also had to swap injectors.

Took it for a drive today

...Until it rained

Just need to figure out how to get rid of these warning lights

UPDATE 11/06/17

Figured out that my issue was with my warning lights. The low voltage pull of the LEDs caused the computer to thing something was up with the charging system and trip the voltage sensitive warning lights. Replaced the LED in the battery warning light with a regular bulb and all the warning lights went out. [

Also finally perfected my 3D printed speedo wheel. So now my speedometer reads accurately in MPH.

Installed some LED headlights and fog lights. Had to order an extra harness to get both HI/LO beams. The fogs were also kind of tricky to source as I had to find a set that would fit inside the JDM yellow color capsules

Next I added some led license plate lights to replace the ghetto blue incandescent ones.

Another project I did was make a USB charging port out of a car charger and the lumbar support button. Plugs into the factory harness just like the lumbar control did. I need to clean it up and put the finishing touches on it still

I also figured out a great way to mount the phone in the cig socket using a steelie mount.

Also replaced the alternator with a 130amp one out of an SC and got an Optima battery to finish it all up.

UPDATE: 11/08/17

Got my Euro turn signals on and installed with some LED bulbs. I'm going to need some type of digital flasher to counter the hyper flash

Also got my TRD oil cap. Looks awesome on the polished cam covers

And installed an LED in the rear hatch light. Finally able to see back there. For some reason the ground wasn't "grounded"? So I cut and grounded it on a bolt.

Last edited:

Mk3TargaJames

Authorized Seller
Extremely clean. If I may ask, what did you pay for this? I want a 91-92 which seem to be much steeper than 86-88's and 89's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Authorized Seller
I paid $11k, but the reason the 89+ are more expensive than the -89 is because they come with the 1JZ (unless you buy a GA70)

Mk3TargaJames

Authorized Seller
I paid $11k, but the reason the 89+ are more expensive than the -89 is because they come with the 1JZ (unless you buy a GA70)
I'm seeing 89+ MA70's going from anyway between 7-10k for stock ones, some being looked like they've been Ridden hard and put away wet. !baffling

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Authorized Seller
Just in the last couple months the prices of MKIIIs at auction in JP has gone WAY up, I'm not really sure why though.

Don't get an MA70, you might as well save your money and buy a USDM one if you're just gonna get the same engine that was already available here. JDM 7Ms aren't any better than U.S. 7Ms...

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Authorized Seller
Enjoying driving a RHD vehicle in the US?

How do you handle:
-Tolls
-Drive-throughs
-Parking Garage Tickets/ Gates
-Turn signals and wipers are reversed on the column right?
-Anything else fun I am missing
-All the mechanics of diving a RHD in the US.

I imagine you probably get used to it in time.
Is there anything that is always annoying / irritating about it?

How about switching between RHD and LHD vehicles?
Easy to remember the differences and adapt quickly?

Last edited:

Mk3TargaJames

Authorized Seller

How do you handle:
-Tolls
-Drive-throughs

Trying to overtake and avoid Head on collisions is the #1 reason I won't own a RHD in the US.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Authorized Seller

How do you handle:
-Tolls
-Drive-throughs

-no tolls around here, so that isn't really an issue
-drive thru I just lean over (car isn't really that wide) or go through backwards
-get out and walk around or back through
-the turn signal is probably the most annoying part, I keep hitting my wipers on when I change lanes
-switching between LHD/RHD is kind of difficult for me because my DD is an F350 so I go from a really short RHD to a really tall LHD. biggest thing is the perspective of the road at speed. truck will feel like its crawling when I'm doing over the speed limit, the car will feel like I'm flying when I'm actually 5 under.
-people like to slow down and try to talk to you at every stoplight, lots of odd stares.
-overall, you get used to being on the right hand and its not that hard to drive at all. the car is fun to drive no matter what side the steering wheel is on.

Trying to overtake and avoid Head on collisions is the #1 reason I won't own a RHD in the US.
haven't really had an issue with that, its like learning any new vehicle, you get used to the blind spots and drive accordingly.

Piratetip

Authorized Seller
You mean passing someone on a 2 lane road?

Yeah I could see that being very dangerous.

I can't see around more than 3/4 of all the cars on the road now, everything is a crossover/cuv/suv/truck.
You used to be able to see through the windows of another vehicle to see whats ahead, not anymore.

Even the midsize / fullsize cars now have bloated into huge vehicles.
Park an Accord or Taurus or Impala next to its 1990 or 2000 era counterpart and is staggering.
That and the A/B/C pillars on new cars are a joke, not to mention the postage stamp rear windows.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Authorized Seller
just slow down and give yourself some room to see around the car in front, it isn't hard. like you said, you cant see around most vehicles already no matter what side youre on

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Authorized Seller
"Minor" setback yesterday, car didnt want to start, kept trying to die on the way home from work, and finally quit on me at a stop light. so now I gotta figure out what caused it to go from running like a dream to not even starting in a matter of a couple days

Last edited:

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Authorized Seller
Update: 7/19/17
Still not running, it's most likely the ECU or ignitor. But I've been doing a lot of other little projects in the meantime

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
very cool, I drove RHD in Canada for 5 years. My Aristo was a DD, never once had problems, they have passenger drive though at tim horntons so it was awesome to skip the lines. Making lefts were fine since there was always advanced greens, and really 3 feet to the right doesn't make a huge diffrence becuase you angle your self and look though other car windows or what not to see oncoming traffic. You just drive a little diffrently, but overall i put over 200,000 KM in that time with many road trips from Toronto/Montreal and back never once had an issue.

I'd love to know how the hell you converted the digi dash to MPH.

Do you have a walkthough? for others?

Piratetip

Authorized Seller
Pretty simple to make a new one and correct the speedo too!
Lots of very simple 3D CAD programs out there now.

Too bad have to pull the dash to install it, otherwise would be a snap.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Authorized Seller
Probably the only reason I haven't done it yet. plus you have to reassemble the whole thing to test it.
It only cost me $1.20 to have printed at the UPS store. and I think I'm going to make the next one with the same number of holes but make the holes the same size as the ones on the original. see how that goes for me

Piratetip

Authorized Seller
:D

A close up macro shot might reveal how it was made.

Plastic you say?
ABS? PLA? PETG?

ahah J/K

Its a black spinney plastic part.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Authorized Seller
UPDATE: 11/06/17
Car now has an accurate speedo and decent lighting. Also have some parts on the way this week so hopefully I can get those all on before my next road trip. I've taken it on several road trips lately (4+hrs each way) and the only issue I'm having is an oil leak from when I put new cam cover seals on

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Authorized Seller
Avoided a minor disaster and hopefully fixed my oil leak this past week. Decided to try and re-seal the cam covers since that's where I think the oil was coming from. As I was finishing up, I dropped a cam cover screw down the front of the engine and lost it. Well I found it once I started it back up and it jammed itself behind the cam gear. Dislodged it and now it's running fine, gotta finish cleaning up all the oil to see if I fixed it or not.

While I was at it, I installed my Takata tow straps.

Justin727

T-virus infected
Authorized Seller
Just browsed your thread!

First off it looks great!!! Loving it so far! Keep posting updates as I will be following this.

Thanks bud