SupraRon's Refreshment

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
You're right about the hissing sound. It's just fuel flowing through the rail/fuel system. From here, short it again and look down low for leaks too. Your nose is the best tester when it comes to fuel leaks. You don't smell no gas.....you're probably good to go! :)

Glad you got her sealed up!

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
You're right about the hissing sound. It's just fuel flowing through the rail/fuel system. From here, short it again and look down low for leaks too. Your nose is the best tester when it comes to fuel leaks. You don't smell no gas.....you're probably good to go! :)

Glad you got her sealed up!
Thanks Ken. Well I checked again today by shorting the pump and looked for leaks. Couldn't find anything up above or down below. I'm pretty confident everything is all sealed. I buttoned everything else up. Gonna fill the coolant and fire her up tomorrow. I'll be sure to have a video.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Well she won't start and I'm guessing its either the timing or there is no spark. It just cranks and cranks, but won't start. Video is below:

[video=youtube;BFLA7omqBYA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFLA7omqBYA[/video]

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
There was one spark of life at the beginning of the vid. That has me leaning towards timing. Double check all of your timing marks including the CPS.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Thats what I thought. So I checked it, brought #1 piston to TDC and then went clockwise about 5* to make the notch mark on the crank pulley line up with the 0* mark on the timing belt cover. Removed the CPS and confirmed the notch marks are aligned. Reinstalled the CPS. Now I'm getting a spark on every crank just not starting. However, reading over Shaeff's Article it looks like I missed the step to turn the CPS one tooth in the opposite direction. I will try that in the morning and see what happens.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
That I didn't check, but I went out to check it today.

This time around I installed the CPS with the cover off to see how it was aligned. I tried to start it up and still no go. Just cranking, but not starting. Anything else I could be missing??

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Well after much fiddling and once again relying on Vic for his expertise, she STARTS!!!!!!! If you look at the bottom pic in my post above, I had the CPS positioned one tooth backward so that the tabs lined up. Vic shifted it one tooth forward and the startup was successful. I'll get a vid of it tomorrow as its too dark out now. I'm like a kid in a candy store! :D

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Awesome Ron! can't wait to see it this weekend:).
Thanks John. Be sure to holla at me!

It's about time!!! ;)

Good Job Ron!
You know, you are soooo right! :)

Thanks Ken. Wouldn't be even half way done if it weren't for you. :bowdown:

Bit of an update: Discovered a couple more leaks on the coolant system. Up around the heater hoses by the firewall. Apparently you're supposed to tighten the clamps! :) Got the timing set to 10*. Got the bumper on. I got to take her for a drive this evening and it felt great to feel boost again. :D I have a video of the startup, but the batteries for my camera died so I'm charging them now and will have it up by tomorrow. I promise.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
As promised:

[video=youtube;unnW9AYF8_s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unnW9AYF8_s[/video]

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
Woo Hoo!!!

Why I didn't hear the ISC Clicking...? :sarcasm: I hope it was the camera's fault. ;)

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Rockin the white Nike's

So Fresh
LOL. Oh yeah!! My wife wasn't impressed that I was wearing my clean shoes to work on the car. They're not so clean anymore. ;)

Woo Hoo!!!

Why I didn't hear the ISC Clicking...? :sarcasm: I hope it was the camera's fault. ;)
I'm gonna have to check that out. Nice catch. What is the likelihood of it being faulty?

Last edited:

NTRA08

TWINKY
Authorized Seller
The IAC was clicking. Listen closely between 2:29 and 2:33. Your alternator belt looks a little loose. Other than that awesome.

peter551984

I'm really confused... I put all on 0 and how do I put the ignition on time... I really put enough pressure of fuel on it... but they tell me that if I don't put the motor on time it wont have a spark and the inyector won't pulse... i REALLY NEED HELP

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
Peter: You should start a thread in the 'Tech' section so you'll get more exposure.

And to keep Ron's Build Thread clean... ;)

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Hopefully just the check valve needs to be cleaned. It's a rather delicate piece. Try to clean it with just a rag. I would test it first though.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=FI&P=106
Thanks Ken. I was about to ask what I should be hearing and then went to the TSRM and saw that page.

The IAC was clicking. Listen closely between 2:29 and 2:33. Your alternator belt looks a little loose. Other than that awesome.
Thanks for pointing it out.

^Yep. Now that you've pointed it out, I hear it. Good ears! :)
Yeah I can hear it too, but I'll listen for it tonight

I'm really confused... I put all on 0 and how do I put the ignition on time... I really put enough pressure of fuel on it... but they tell me that if I don't put the motor on time it wont have a spark and the inyector won't pulse... i REALLY NEED HELP
The CPS has to be inserted at the proper angle or you'll never get it to start. That was my problem. Use this article as a reference. It is very helpful and make sure you have a timing light.

Peter: You should start a thread in the 'Tech' section so you'll get more exposure.

And to keep Ron's Build Thread clean... ;)
And yeah Peter you will get your answer there if the article doesn't help. And as Ken says it will keep this thread clean! ;)

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Ok that's ok but there is another thing I don't chenck engine light, when I put the switch the light doesn't go on...
That I'm not sure about. Did you search on it?

Well yesterday I really worked the engine hard. Not only did I put ~500KM on it, but did some lapping at our Annual Meet. I have some video footage that I'll post in a little while. The engine held up as far as I can tell and needless to say I'm very pleased. :D

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
That's awesome Ron! Congrats on making it to your meet. (and back ;)) I know that meet was a big push for you!

Get them vids up son!! :D

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
That's awesome Ron! Congrats on making it to your meet. (and back ;)) I know that meet was a big push for you!

Get them vids up son!! :D
It was awesome. Thanks Ken. It was very important and I'm so glad I was able to make it. I can go on living again! :)

Hope to have the vid up tonight. And I'll try to link other peeps vids as they show up.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I tried to get the vid up last night, but didn't realize the limit on YT. Had to cut it down a little. Anyhow, I posted it here.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
That's an awesome vid Ron! I'd love to be able to drive on a track like that! There is nothing of the sort out my way. :(

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Thanks Ken. Yes driving really, really fast and it being legal is fun. This track was a bit of a trek for me (3 hours), but well worth it. We are fortunate enough to have 3 tracks (that I know of) within Ontario. There used to be 4, but 1 got closed down due to noise complaints. Hopefully we can go again before the season is over.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Authorized Seller
Looking good, has me impatient for winter so I can pull my 1jz and start bolting on new parts. I'm especially excited for new cams, I heard up to 40hp gains from them alone.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Looking good, has me impatient for winter so I can pull my 1jz and start bolting on new parts. I'm especially excited for new cams, I heard up to 40hp gains from them alone.
Thanks. There is still so much more to do which will probably be done over the winter. I'm sure you'll be getting snow soon so you'll get to work on it. ;) I don't know how much hp gain you would get but if what you heard is true, then that's pretty good. You'll definitely getting higher revs.