Supra stories from Japan

alcyon

Authorized Seller
I am gonna start a new thread of articles on facebook that most of you have not seen before of stories and pics of Japanese A70 supra.
Todays write up from Auto Team Retro.

So, for Thursday filler, how about we take a look at this wild-looking A70 Supra?

The A70 is a car beloved by many, and for good reason. Available with a variety of engines, both naturally aspirated and turbocharged engines, the A70 Supra was a fast beast, either in its 'zenki' version (with the largest engine, the 3-litre 7M-GTE) or the 'kouki' version (with the largest engine, the 2.5-litre 1JZ-GTE). Since their prices are fairly stable, and much lower than its successor, the wildly-overhyped A80 Supra, many of these cars have found their way into the hands of enthusiasts.

This one here has a 2-litre 1G-GTE and automatic gearbox under the heavily modified bodywork, comprising of an aero kit I've never seen before. I have to say, it's certainly striking, though not my cup of tea. There's no list of modifications, but at least the exhaust has been changed on the rear, and the wheels are new. I suspect based on the boost gauges in the car and the Nardi steering wheel that there's plenty of modifications - possibly an F-CON setup, based on many similar Supras of this time and era. Owned for a few years, this car was sold when the owner's wife became pregnant, and, as such, had to be replaced for a more family-friendly car.
Enjoy happy car life!

Attachments

alcyon

Authorized Seller
from Auto Team retro
THE ENTHUSIAST'S SUPRA

In trends with what seems to be popular on this page, and the fact that I'm gonna be busy over the weekend, I decided to do a write-up on a car which I'm pretty sure a lot of people are probably well informed of
:)

The topic of today's write-up is the A70 Supra, a car which I am very well aware a number of people which follow this page own. In my opinion, this car deserves a bit more attention, but I'm glad it doesn't, or else we'd have a similar situation to the A80, where they're too expensive, and desired by the sorts of people that only like the A80 because they're watched The Fast And The Furious about 70 times over.

Produced from 1986 until 1993, the A70 was the follow-up to the A60 Celica XX, which was sold as the Supra outside of Japan. Within Japan, this was the first model called the Supra, and underneath, it was related mechanically to the Z20 Soarer, introduced earlier that year.

In the first year, the car came with either a 2-litre 1G-GTE or the 3-litre 7M-GE straight-six engines. In 1987 came the turbocharged 7M-GTE engine, producing 230bhp, 30 over what the stock 7M produced, thanks to a CT26 turbocharger. Transmissions were Toyota designed, so the power was relatively controlled. In fact, if not for the head gasket problem sufferred by the 7M engine (which can be fixed), the engine could have achieved status up there with engines like the 1JZ-GTE, which came along later for the Supra in 1989/90.

In its day, the Supra was not a sports car - in Toyota's eyes, it was a GT car, similar to the Fairlady Z31 from the time. As such, despite the large engine and FR layout, it wasn't used on touges, unless counting wider tracks, like the Hakone toll road (they weren't unseen on tighter tracks, but it was much more of a risk to run such a large car). However, the 7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE's strengh and power made it popular for those wanting to race on expressways. When the 7M-GTE came along, it was a case of replacing the turbo, fixing any issues such as the gasket (if the owner knew about it), removing the limiter and doing a few over bits and pieces, and then, you had a car that would sit happily at around 225 - 240km/h on the C1 route on a clear day, and that's just crusing speed. The 1JZ model was even more capable - in 1994, one under Mid Night insignia was taken around Yatabe as part of a Mid Night event and recorded the fastest speed of the day, at 305.89km/h, with some serious tuning by tuners like Pent Roof.

In racing, the A70 never had much success. The Turbo A version was homologated in 1987 in the JTCC, but due to the engine size, it was bumped up into the same class as the dominating Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 and later by the BMW M3. It was eventually killed off by the Skyline (R32), which practially killed Group A by 1993.

So, the question is, why would you buy one over an A80? Any 14 year old Fast And Furious fan will ask you that, and there is no simple reason why you would, other than price. In my opinion, though, you would because the A70 is a more characterful car - the A80 these days is treated as some kind of 'god car' by young Americans, and so you can sit back, knowing that they like their sort of Supra because Paul Walker drove one for about 10 minutes or so in a cheesy film made at the height of the Max Power age (no criticism to them, of course), and you like yours because it's genuinely a gem of a car.

Well, that's it for now. Enjoy happy car life!

Attachments

alcyon

Authorized Seller
A Mk3 Supra with 1G GTE and Manual Transmission. Probably a W58 with a 4.3 diff. Looks pretty zippy. Not bad for a 2L Inline 6.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
There's a video on youtube of I think a Celica with a built 1G, revs to 10k or something ridiculous. Perfect for a lighter car like an older Celica or Corolla. In a heavy Supra, not so much

edit: found it, 541rwhp, 10500 rpm:

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Cant be worse than the base model Supra that came equipped with the 1G-EU with a heart pounding 105PS. On the bright side it was the lightest model Toyota offered