Street tuning for 7M engine break-in with safc2 questions...

the t3d

P B4 A
Authorized Seller
Hello everyone! Always a pleasure discussing these things you guys and gals. So I'm finally reaching a personal milestone of driving the Supra on more consistent basis. My last post of regarding the engine vacuum and ring seating in the block, and since then vacuum has been perfect and strong, as well as all the smoke is gone. All good things.

My questions fall under the initial tuning of the engine with the safc2 and aem wideband kit. Totally understand the idea of adding or removing fuel to smooth out the afr numbers. I am running the 550s, walbro 255 fuel pump, Lexus afm, and a brand new quicker spooling turbo from boost logic.

I had previous settings on the safc2 with the old setup that had a much slower spooling turbo and probably a small handful of other issues. So with this new setup, I reset and zeroed out the trim adjustments I had and am working out getting things smoother for this setup. I read that the setup I have if the stock computer was adjusting from stock measurements that it should be running rich and I would be reducing fuel. Since my ecu has had to make adjustments from the last setup, which was in no way optimal but worked, she was running much more on the leaner side. So far to drive and seat the rings, I've been having to add fuel to smooth out the numbers. It's gotten better but the exhaust smell is potent as hell, almost hazardous smelling lol. There is no cat. conv. and no vacuum leaks that were present during my smoke test.

I'm just looking for a little insight as to what generally causes the exhaust to get so potent? And is this something that will improve as the computer catches up with the current setup and I as continue to make trim adjustments? Any other info may have I'd appreciate very much. I'm also going back to basics and will be resetting the proper fuel pressure and making sure my ignition timing is perfect. I just picked up a timing light to make sure. Anyways thank you for reading!

Reactions: debrucer

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
I would reset the ECU if your setup changed and start from scratch on the SAFC. However to answer your question, yes the ECU will adjust to the new settings but keep in mind with an SAFC anything over a certain percentage will make the ECU think something is wrong and start correcting the map on its own thus throwing off your time.

Reactions: debrucer

the t3d

P B4 A
Authorized Seller
I would reset the ECU if your setup changed and start from scratch on the SAFC. However to answer your question, yes the ECU will adjust to the new settings but keep in mind with an SAFC anything over a certain percentage will make the ECU think something is wrong and start correcting the map on its own thus throwing off your time.
How do you reset the ECU? I thought disconnecting the battery reset the computer? Which it has been for a while now. Or is there another way?