Stock IAT sensor replacment?

Joeharness15

Authorized Seller
does anyone know of an intake air temp sensor that could be installed to replace the stock one in the AFM unit? I know if you run a standalone ECU you just use a GM sensor but ill be running an Emanage Ultimate piggyback and was planning on using the speed density feature in the future but didnt know if there was a sensor out there that would match the stock output of the one in the AFM unit. any help is appreciated, havent had any luck on google or the forums.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
If you want to run speed density I know with ECUmaster piggy back you have to use a 2.4ohms resistor on the stock iat wire and jumper it to the gm iat sensor. If your stock afm is bad I have one I could part with. I have 3 and now have a standalone.

Joeharness15

Authorized Seller
ok awesome, thats pretty much exactly what i was wondering could be done. ide much rather run a standard GM IAT sensor but had no idea how to make it work. im assuming you had that wired to the stock ecu and used the piggyback to output your AFM signal?

and my AFM is working, im just wanting to delete it and have the reliability of a MAP setup but i appreciate the offer.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Im not sure how emanage works, I never ran the DET3 piggyback as my car is down being rebuilt. I did wire it in but decided for what I needed the standalone was the way to go. So now im rebuilding my entire harness lol

Joeharness15

Authorized Seller
gotcha, well if they said to wire the GM sensor / resistor to the stock loom ide say it works very similar to the emanage. do you reemember where you got the info about the 2.4k ohm resistor? if its from ECUmaster website or something ide be curious to see what else they say about it.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
yeah that was in the ecumaster det3 manual which can be downloaded off their site. I just got a pack of 2.4ohms resistors off of amazon like a 100 pk for $3 I soldered the resistor at each end of the wire but ecu master has you jump pins on their connector. Ive read of people jumping the wire at the afm connector also.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
for standalone the GM IAT is not the only solution.

Essentially any IAT sensor whether OEM or aftermarket works for IAT duties. I prefer the Bosch IAT as they are lightning fast with temp change response.

The other part is thanks to the proliferation of European cars, you can find the OEM sensors for very inexpensive (see Bosch 058905379 which is sub $20 and uses standard EV1 / Jr Timer connectors).

Reactions: debrucer