Steering wheel restoration

Mrbaboon

Authorized Seller
Just a heads up - if anybody has an aging steering wheel, I just had mine recovered by Redline Goods, so they now have a pattern for a 91-92 4 spoke airbag wheel.

Absolutely recommended. They came in at half the cost of haing it done locally. High quality leather and beautiful hand stitching rivals the quality on my C63. Also picked up a new shift boot and E-brake handle cover.

Was super impressed with included 2 day return shipping.

Attachments

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Very nice!
Price reasonable?

I am debating doing this on my stock wheel 87' or just switching to a different style...
Decisions - decisions.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
I bought a recovered wheel some years ago, but I can't remember from whom. I found them on eBay at the time, but can't find them again quickly. They did a great job and had the gray. Mine is a pre-89 3-spoke one. It could have been Dallas Custom Steering Wheels. I'll have to search my old emails from home.

It wasn't cheap, as I recall, but the quality is there. Could've been as much as $300. I've done a recover job myself with black so I knew what was involved. It's not easy to sew it on nicely and you need new thin foam pad material under the leather. It's easily 2 days worth of work and you need some special tools and leather needles.

Maroon, beige, and blue are still available. $570, $570, and $686, respectively (retail). List is $800-$900.

Edit: search is my friend:
http://www.supramania.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-restoration.181046/post-1951394

https://www.ebay.com/str/dallascustomsteeringwheel

Mine has held up nicely.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I had my Volvo wheel done at the same time by Redline, turned out really well. I think his wheel was around CAD$350, but you can just buy the cover and install it yourself if you feel like saving some money and enjoy DIY

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I used Redline for some mk3 parts in dark grey alcantara. Quality looks great and lead time wasn't too bad.

I ended up doing the steering wheel through Dallas Custom in black alcantara. The wheel was very expensive (~$600 if I recall), but quality is as good as it gets, IMO. I'd do it again, but I'd also trust Redline. I think the shipping costs for Redline and being without a steering wheel and sending it overseas scared me away.

If you get a chance, share another picture with more light so we can see that beauty a little better!

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
They sent them but I never recieved them, but that's probably because I'm in Canada and they are in the US.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Ya, I sent the wheels to their US address, then they sent them on to Poland to get the recovering since they were new patterns.

No idea where the samples came from or went to, I never got them.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Ya, I sent the wheels to their US address, then they sent them on to Poland to get the recovering since they were new patterns.

No idea where the samples came from or went to, I never got them.
Oh weird. When I talked with Mike w/ Redline in mid-2018 he gave me a Poland address for shipment of my wheel. He went silent after I tried to clarify pricing details. At the same time, Dallas Custom was responsive, fast and domestic, so they got my business despite the higher price tag.

Kine

Authorized Seller
Damn this is tempting. I've been scouring eBay for a good looking airbag steering wheel with no luck. Watching some videos on how to sew it yourself but I'd be willing to pay a professional if it means OEM finish.

Kine

Authorized Seller
Curious. On the Redline Goods page the picture for the airbag Supra 4-spoke wheel is from the MR-2. Are there known wheels from other early 90's Toyota's that we could source a good condition steering wheel from? Based on just looks alone in those pictures I'd just swap the horn over and it'd basically look like the wheel from a Supra. If there were issues I'd imagine it'd relate to electronics/air-bag stuff.

Attached some images from some eBay listings of an MR2 and Supra wheel. Looks pretty similar...plug color is different but the shape is close...maybe just requires a plug swap?

Attachments

Last edited:

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The MR2 wheel is not the same as the Supra wheel. That was the first thing they checked when we sent the wheel to them, because that is what we thought too. it's not, so it needed a new pattern made.

traingeek2000

Authorized Seller
I'm referring to the early 2000s wheel that looks similar to the TRD mk4 supra wheel. I've read that these swap into our cars relatively easily but haven't found much documentation. Seems like a good option should you want to keep the 90+ airbag functionality.
1565205060607.png