Starter turns but doesn't engage flywheel

traingeek2000

Authorized Seller
I'm getting an enthusiastic whirring from the starter motor when I turn the key, but no crank. Should I look for a rebuild kit or just get a new starter altogether?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I had this happen with a fresh Denso rebuild from Rock Auto. It tested good and would function properly on the bench. Solenoid threw the shaft outwards and all. Once I installed it in the car, it would just spin freely without engaging the flywheel. Very frustrating.

If it's a Toyota starter, I'd try to rebuild if you can. If it's already non-OEM I'd just buy another reman - perhaps not from Rock Auto though. Mine was a bear to return and get credit on. I'm still bitter about that, years later.

IchibanEye

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Any more options here? Mine only does this in the cold. All other weather conditions it is spot on. Ps. I do not need a Captain obvious non helpful reply of '' dude this thread is blah blah blah old'' cheers!

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yup.
That.
The grease on the shaft it slides out on is very old.
No longer works well in the cold.
Plus the solenoid pushing out the gear is probably weaker over the years.

Grease first.
Also check all the electrical contacts in the system, remove any corossion.

IchibanEye

Authorized Seller
Contributor
try greasing the shaft where the gear slides in and out, or it maybe a worn bushing, try grease first, cheaper, easier.
Thanks for the suggestions. Can a new bushing bey purchased and replaced on the org. unit? I will most likely have to remove my started to apply the grease or can it be applied while in the engine bay? I have never eyed this area of my 7mGTEs' bay.

Yup.
That.
The grease on the shaft it slides out on is very old.
No longer works well in the cold.
Plus the solenoid pushing out the gear is probably weaker over the years.

Grease first.
Also check all the electrical contacts in the system, remove any corossion.
Thank you sir, and all noted too! Can or do you recommend any special grease, like a Toyota recorded or what? Also can a new solenoid be purchased and replaced on a guys original starter, so as to keep her in the game as long as possible? Thank you?

I will be starting some much needed maintenance and replacement of some things in and around my valve cover, head area. Like new plugs/wires. Replace the valve cover gaskets, screws with proper replacements and seals. So this would be a good time to get this all done now for me. Also a hot start issue concerns me too. The summers get hot herein the Idaho dessert. Something about old solenoid, under hood concentrated temps after shutting the engine off and boil off or something???? I don't know but any suggestions there and more to look for or just replace while I am already up top would be great too. Thank you.

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
bushings: yes they can be bought.

grease:: hi temp grease should be fine.

apply grease while starter in the car::: chance's are very high you'll have to remove the starter, there are two bushings you'll need to replace, you'll have a front and back bushing. I suggest you get a some sort of press either hydraulic or manual.

new solenoid::: in my opinion chance's are very low that you can get just a solenoid

things to consider::: check all your electric connections, battery cable, starter terminals, ( maybe you have a loose bolt) corrosion, while the starter is out bring to a auto parts store and have it checked do a starter draw test. ( preferably a place that does't earn commision) you may have a bad commutator, also metal expands when it gets hot, so if your bushings are bad, your starter is going to have hard time turning. or you might be hung up on some really old, dried grease, sometimes when you replace parts then other parts go bad, (chasing your tail per say) if your already deep into replacing parts then you might as well replace the brush's