Starter problems

bassboost

Authorized Seller
Having issues with my starter not engaging the flywheel, whenever I turn the key you can hear it spin, but it doesn't turn the engine over. The engine has not ran for almost a week now, so engine heat is not related to this issue. I am at the point of pulling my hair out over diagnosing this issue...any thoughts?

'88 7MGTE/R154

What I've done:
"New" Reman starter from Autozone. Just tested again from Napa to be sure, and it tested good
New starter relay
New battery(FULL CHARGE)
New battery terminals
Performed relay bypass mod with 3 different relays(no change)
Tested solenoid signal wire when key turned to start(has power)
All fuses are good
Starter mounts flush against bellhousing

This is what it does with all wiring hooked up as it should be(You can hear the starter spinning, but not engaging flywheel)
[video=youtube;NXicBEvz6Yo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXicBEvz6Yo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

This is what it does with the main power unhooked from the starter(You can hear the solenoid popping the bendix)
[video=youtube;hCv4p-tfOok]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCv4p-tfOok&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Billybob9187

Authorized Seller
HAve you inspected the flywheel to see if there is any damage? Pull the starter and spin the crank to make sure. The only time I have ever seen this is when old Chevy owners install that super thick shim in there starters and it wont make contact.

IchibanEye

Authorized Seller
Contributor
It was prolly the re-man starter. There horrible quality these days.
Thanks. I figured that was the case because all I kind find is bad reviews, failures on re-mans/aftermarket. I have not seen or heard of anyone trying to just replace/fix an OEM unit himself. I don't know as mine has finally started, not often but started not punching out all the way for engagement and turning of the crank. This happens in colder weather and hot but thankfully not to often yet. I am going to try the suggested greasing on the shaft and such.

But, I mean if we cannot keep our cars as new to reliable and as near as factory too in some places. ...(A little bit of a Supra Purist here myself here) then I guy will be forced too go 1 or 2JZGTE. Just What about, can just a new solenoid also be bought just to replace yourself on the old starter?

Anyways, now that is getting warmer outside, I am going to be starting some needed work/maintenance in my head area, valve cover gaskets, and some seals that I can get to while there, spark plugs and new wires. Oil change and filter change. Would or could you recommend something else I may want to address while I have all the piping and such out of the way up top would be appreciated too. I love my local shop but I want to get some of this less technical stuff done myself and save me the $700 or so of labor costs.

ps. I was having a hot start issue too, I think it was also an old solenoid thing to, right? Something associated with boil off and the concentrated heat under the hood and all...???? Correct me if I'm mistaken please. Thanks again.

IchibanEye

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Also you can use a 2jz starter if you wanted.
I did not know this! As I only have ever looked at the 7M world of things, as my car currently uses this modified heart. Is this a direct bold on? Do you have one? I will now have to scour all of the 2J threads and burn some more hours away. I am waiting for Arron at DriftMotion to return my e-mail and then I can place my much needed order and get tuning up my girl so she is road worthy again. Thanks @hvyman !