Spearco intercooler install help

Doat

Authorized Seller
I am getting a Spearco intercooler tomorrow and would like some pics of them installed I tried looking them up and got pics of them mocked up on the car with no pipes connected and such. I read that it bolts right into the stock location and don't even need to remove the bumper I hope this is true lol. The part that seems like it will be tricky is the top end tank for the intake it seems like I will need a short piece of pipe and a coupler for it. If you guys can post up your installed Spearco intercoolers I would greatly appreciate it as well. Thanks.

Doat

Authorized Seller
I am a visual person it helps me get a better understanding if I can see how it's setup it helps me with the fine details like how much room I have to work with, what length pipe, etc. It's a real Spearco intercooler from what I have read and can tell in the few pictures I've seen I will need a short piece of pipe and an extra 90 degree coupler for it to reach the top inlet.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The 89+ intercooler piping is different from 87-88. Not sure what you have, but a generic solution doesn't really exist.

Doat

Authorized Seller
91, I can understand what works for y'all won't work for me but it can help give me an idea. I'll just figure it out when I get it tonight.

IchibanEye

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Sorry to hear no one posted a picture. If I had one i would take some pictures for you, it only takes a few minutes. Good luck with the install it will turn out o.k. for you.

Doat

Authorized Seller
Sorry I figured when I said it's a real Spearco that would answer it lol it is same side and I do not think it's coming with hardware I bought it used and the owner had it on his old MK3 it's just the core itself I already have piping installed.

Thanks IchibanEye

SeeUSmile

Authorized Seller
The 89+ intercooler piping is different from 87-88. Not sure what you have, but a generic solution doesn't really exist.
What were the differences between the piping 3p? noticed the gt limited on mine which i bought with no motor doesn't have the intercooler end tanks facing the same way, more similar to a 1jz setup.

S.A. supra

Authorized Seller
Google this. supra spearco same side intercooler. First picture that pops up is the one you need. I hope it comes with the brackets.

Doat

Authorized Seller
Yea it came with the brackets I forgot to post a picture in here for y'all I picked it up last night. My cat always inspects my parts, going to clean it before installing of course but my piping is from CX Racing so it is a little different than the one you found on google but shouldn't be difficult to figure out if I can get like a 2 or 3 inch piece of pipe.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The difference between the two is that the 89+ has a different outlet on the intercooler with an extra 90 deg if I remember correctly. It simplifies the piping by removing a bend.

Supra mn

Authorized Seller
Surprisingly I only took a few pictures after I installed mine, and if I don't have access to my car any time soon.
Basically I have 90* couplers off the intercooler connecting the pipes. The piping kit is the DM intercooler kit, with only one slight modification to the pipe inside the fender.

Also, I found these online when I was trying to figure out my piping and I found them helpful,

Doat

Authorized Seller
I appreciate the pics they help a lot I realize now I need to get another 90 degree coupler for the bottom inlet because the CX racing one just goes straight and the stock intercooler has a 90 degree pipe that comes out. Seems like I will have to take it to ACE hardware and get some bolts for it.

Doat

Authorized Seller
I got the stock intercooler out with a little fiddling I tried mounting the Spearco and I must have one of the brackets mounted incorrectly or something do you guys know where the top bracket mounts to on the chassis? I figure it's the middle bracket that holds the horns.

Doat

Authorized Seller
I tried that the vertical bracket only has bolts that go from front to back and the bracket that came with the intercooler goes left and right. Seems like it's for a pre-89, so far I have added a bracket for the bottom so now it's held on with 2 bolts instead of 1 and I need to figure out how to support the top here is what my vertical bracket looks like to the left is the front of the car for reference.

Doat

Authorized Seller
I finally got it mounted I had to scrap the top mount I managed to use the bottom mount but I added another bracket for added support. Took it for a test drive and boost comes on hard, so far no problems. Turns out the intercooler was mounted on an 87, so I guess they changed some more things from pre 89 to 89+. Thank you all for your help you guys rock.

Doat

Authorized Seller
I always try to follow up when I make question threads while I am installing stuff. I don't know how the hell I am going to secure the top of the intercooler but I'll figure something out with home depot brackets lol.

S.A. supra

Authorized Seller
What year is your car? I had mine installed in a 90. There is a bracket that runs up and down under the hood latch, if I remember correctly. It has a hole in it mid way up. That's what you need. I'll take a pic when I get home.

Doat

Authorized Seller
91 I took a pic of my center bracket and there is a hole in the middle where the clip goes that holds the wire for the horn but the bracket that came with the care doesn't line up with that hole at all lol. I thought about the same thing but that top bracket just won't line up with anything also there are 2 heat sinks that run along the front nose piece I am not sure if the pre-89 has that. I tried lining it up with any hole on that center bracket but it just won't work.

Doat

Authorized Seller

That is how the previous owner had it installed and if I keep it on that way I can't get it high enough to mount the bottom bracket because the top bracket hits the two heat sinks that run along the nose piece.

S.A. supra

Authorized Seller
That's exactly how I remember it. When you install the inter cooler it should be leaning forward at a pretty good angle.

Doat

Authorized Seller
yea but like I said there isn't a place to bolt it on and the end of it is right at the nose piece.

Doat

Authorized Seller
yea that is what confused me the most like it's made for a MK3 it shouldn't be so difficult but then I found out it was installed on an 87, so I figure the center bracket was part of the changes they made between pre-89 and 89+.

S.A. supra

Authorized Seller
Well I had it in a 90. How about this, is there a clip that holds any wires in place? Maybe use that hole. It's been 7 years since I had that ic. I really liked it, and it made a huge difference. It made me think I had a hole in the stock ic.

Doat

Authorized Seller
That is what I was trying to do but I could not get it to line up the bracket is too long. I just have to custom make something with L brackets or whatever.

dmp316

Yard Man
Authorized Seller

That is how the previous owner had it installed and if I keep it on that way I can't get it high enough to mount the bottom bracket because the top bracket hits the two heat sinks that run along the nose piece.
Doat this is the same brackets i have on mine, top and bottom

S.A. supra

Authorized Seller
You have it mounted backwards. There is no way if installed correctly it should touch the upper bumper. I found where I bolted it tto.you have to have it mounted wrong

Doat

Authorized Seller
Pictures would really help because I tried switching them around and it wasn't going to work either.