Shaftmaster steel driveshaft

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
I found some older threads on here regarding these and read them but they were all from ~2007. What was the final verdict on these? I have an 89 manual turbo. Someone near me is selling a steel Shaftmasters driveshaft for $250 that he says has 8k on it which I would go pick up. The website has them for 350 + shipping, tax etc.. I was not able to find the weight on the steel one. I know the aluminum one was 11.5lbs. I am assuming the steel one would still be lighter than stock. Thanks in advance.

I sent an email to Shaftmasters the same time I posted this and David already got back to me. ~14-15lbs.

So my question is will I notice excessive vibrations from the steel one vs OEM? Will this damage bearings? I do not track my car at all and only put 2k on it a year. Other than a spirited road race I'm not hard on the car.

Last edited:

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I ran the ShaftMasters aluminum versions and these are very well made driveshafts. I had one for about 10 years on my automatic turbo supra and you will notice a difference in pickup even on a stock motor. I currently run the manual aluminum version now and also happy with it too. The one-piece steel version is a nice balance between a factory driveshaft (which I believe is around 32lbs) and the aluminum version they offer but all of their driveshafts come balanced (you can see the weights welded in the pic).

I did have a no name one-piece aluminum driveshaft around 2007 before I bought the ShaftMasters one around 2008 and that did vibrate around 55 to 60 mph. Actucally that flange broke on that no name driveshaft while I was going that speed and I had to get a tow home. The only 1 out of 2 times my Supra left me stranded.

Reactions: debrucer

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I would not do either steel or Aluminu. 1 piece ds.

Due to the length of the 1 piece fo our cars, Critical speed for a 1 piece put it around 75mph then harmonics after that

Carbon fiber raises critical speed to well above 200mph.

Stick with 2 piece aluminum or 1 piece carbon fiber.

Reminder: on both steel and aluminum 1 piece ds, a driveshaft loop is a must!

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I would not do either steel or Aluminu. 1 piece ds.

Due to the length of the 1 piece fo our cars, Critical speed for a 1 piece put it around 75mph then harmonics after that

Carbon fiber raises critical speed to well above 200mph.

Stick with 2 piece aluminum or 1 piece carbon fiber.

Reminder: on both steel and aluminum 1 piece ds, a driveshaft loop is a must!
Interesting on the driveshaft loop comment. Never thought about that. Seems I'm always finding reasons to spend more money :)

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Interesting on the driveshaft loop comment. Never thought about that. Seems I'm always finding reasons to spend more money :)
back in 2008ish, I researched the living hell out of driveshafts as I do have some understanding of frequencies (when I was young, I played classical guitar and did study physics, music theory and the science of instruments) based on mass and length. Everything pointed to that Toyota did a 2 piece to make sure the driveshaft didn't hit that magic primary base frequency and the driveshaft vibrations take out either the diff front end or the tail shaft of the transmission.

So I had (memory is hazy), the driveshaft shop make me a carbon fiber based one which 3 other people also purchased. IJ., Duane (which is now Dana's car) and someone else. They still should be able to fabricate a 1 piece CF driveshaft. Best part is that with CF, no need for a driveshaft loop. Duane found out when his destroyed itself (he missed a bolt and gouged the CF) it became a nice broom for the track and underside of the car.

• Love

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I have a steel driveshaft and I've never had a problem with any frequencies that I've been able to tell. Might have just got lucky.

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
Thanks for the input guys, this is helpful. I decided not to get the driveshaft. I should spend my time installing my freshly rebuilt Albert Meade ct26 57 trim (I'll be posting pics later), my HKS intercooler/piping and installing my rebuilt steering rack.

Reactions: Clip

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Authorized Seller
Off topic but is he still rebuilding or was this from a while ago? If so, any details?

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
Off topic but is he still rebuilding or was this from a while ago? If so, any details?
If this helps, I emailed the guy at Shaftmasters regarding the weight of the steel one and he responded within 30 minutes. As far as rebuilding them goes I am not sure.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Authorized Seller
If this helps, I emailed the guy at Shaftmasters regarding the weight of the steel one and he responded within 30 minutes. As far as rebuilding them goes I am not sure.
Was talking about Albert and the rebuilds for the CTs :)

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
Was talking about Albert and the rebuilds for the CTs :)
Ahh my bad. Yes, this was a fresh rebuild he did for me on a used DM 57trim I had bought off some kid on Facebook years ago but never installed. Just got the turbo back a few weeks ago. He told me he isn't on here much anymore but he welcomes the business. I follow him on Instagram and decided to DM him about the rebuild. Very nice guy to work with and the turnaround time was about a week once he received it.