Royal Purple: What is my answer?

finaltable

Grue
Authorized Seller
Apologies in advance if this provokes a religious war. That is not my intent.

One of my clients is the former President of the Houston Supra club. She has shown me pictures of her green Mk IV turbo she had to sell.

When I told her I was getting a Mk III Supra she told me that she expects me to use Royal Purple oil and filters for every oil change because she swears by it.

I have never had a car that needed premium oil (My previous MK III was a '90 with a 7M-GE.) I have read here the amazing discussions of Amsoil, Royal Purple, et al and watched plenty of videos of people performing various tests on various premium oils.

It would not surprise me at all if she decides to give me a present of a multi-quart bottle of Royal Purple to use.

One concern I have about using Royal Purple on a car this old is I have seen situations wherein the cleaning properties of the oil cause stuff to dislodge; one person actually had a part come loose inside an older engine because the grime holding a nut in place went away thereby allowing the nut to work free.

Assuming I am not pushing my car at high performance levels, am I hurting myself following her advice?

One additional note: I live in Houston. It is not out of the realm of reality that I can cold start the car and the oil be 90+ degrees with the engine off.

Last edited:

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Probably best to do some reading on BITOG forum on this topic.
Lots of opinions on oil out there.
I like to look at VOA and UOA test data on oils, BITOG has that.

My personal pick based on bang for your buck and actual usage is Castrol Edge 0W-30 and 0W-40.
I usually run 10,000 mile oil change intervals with Blackstone UOA analysis to backup oil life remaining.
My 0.02 c.

There are lots of opinions though.

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
There are lots of opinions though.
Yep. I've been seeing threads on this topic since the 1990s when I had a MKII Supra and joined the mailing list for that...

Sorry, no opinion on Royal Purple though.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Frankly Royal Purple is a good oil, but I think it's very overpriced for what it offers.
Lots of other oils out there that offer the same performance.
Plus I don't really like the idea of dying every component in the oiling system purple.
Kind of weird.

Reactions: debrucer

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Find something you like and stick with it, have a Blackstone analysis done on it if you are anal about it. Everyone has an oil they like, I myself am apart of the Church of Brotella, I use Rotella T6 5W-40.