Replacement upper control arm balljoint covers?

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
Hey guys-

I did a little searching, and saw a few threads concerning attempts at replacing the upper ball joint, or the entire upper arm with custom arms.
However, I've found that both my rear upper arms seem to be in good working order, but one of the rubber covers is torn, and the other looks pretty
sad as well. So, I'm wondering if:

A. Can you buy just a replacement boot from Toyota, or

B. Is there an aftermarket part(like Energy Suspension) that fits properly?

If anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
searched for ball joint boot? it was the 4th or 5th from the top. they are on my list of things to get for whenever I rebuild my suspension/bushings/subframe.

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
No, I searched Upper arm.

The only thing that concerns me, is the long term results of this part.
I have no doubt that the poly holds up perfectly, but these boots don't appear to have a lip on them to 'lock' onto
the corresponding lip built into the upper arm. The person in that post (Leftynridge) said he used silicone to seal it to
the arm?? I'd rather have a wire spring do the job. I'm going to call Toyota, and see what the price is for a replacement boot,
assuming it can be purchased seperately.

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
Update:
I just called Toyota(in fact, I'm still on the phone as I type this), and they sell them.
Part # 43324-14010, $16 each. Now that strikes me as pricey, considering you can get all 4 boots for about
the same amount from ES in poly, but at least I know these will fit perfectly, and I won't need to bond them down with silicone.
It'll take at least 5 days for my local dealer to get these in, but I'm in no hurry.

destrux

Authorized Seller
The energy boots don't work well upside down on a non-greasable joint. They are fine if you can grease the joint every oil change, which pushes the dirt that creeps in back out. Otherwise they let dirt and water creep in and it stays in there. I doubt silicone RTV would hold to glue them in place around the upper edge, they are made of very stiff polyurethane.

mkiiichip

Authorized Seller
I think toyotanos has installed new stock boots, maybe PM him? I remember something about a clip that was tricky.

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
Thanks, Destrux- makes me feel better about buying Toyota parts.
Hmm- The oem's seem to use a spiral spring; doesn't look too difficult to reinstall.
Also, just found that my rear toe arm boot is torn on one side- Guess I'll be buying two of those too.
:(

Supraross

Authorized Seller
I know this is resurrecting a very old thread, but does anyone know if the front upper and rear upper ball joints are the same size? To order 2 or 4 of the replacement boots part#: PART NUMBER: 4332414010

Supraross

Authorized Seller
Seoul, i actually ordered the energy suspension ones from another thread i read on here, as soon as any of the cars weight was dropped onto the wheel those deformed enough that there was no seal on the ball end of the joint anymore. Figured, when i found this thread, that id try the oem replacement boot since its near impossible to get a useable rear arm except from a parts car or junkyard.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
OEM boots should be the same front and rear for the upper ball joints.

I recently replace all of mine, quite easy.
Also allows you to regrease everything before re-assembly.

Supraross

Authorized Seller
Piratetip, recently spent some time watching a bunch of videos (now I'm a YouTube certified mechanic), i think I'm also going to tap the top of each joint and add a zerk fitting to make them serviceable.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
You could.. though I don't know how much clearance there is under the steel cap.
Also would need a way to remove all the metal shavings inside from drilling and tapping.
Not a bad idea though.
I put zerks on every control arm bushing I've got to grease the urethane bushings with super lube 41150.

Supraross

Authorized Seller
For the balls, i was thinking (let me know if my thinking is wrong) but i figured before i put the new boots on i would clean the balls out with a lot of brake clean and degreaser and then pump new grease, then clean all that out again. Hopefully getting all the shavings out before installing the new boots and then pumping full of new grease?

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
You might be successful if you flush out the backside with brakeclean and vacuum out the pocket multiple times.
IMO you won't be able to push any metal shavings out by pumping grease through the joint.
The interface / clearance is far too tight between the ball and socket joint.

Maybe inspect and see if the steel cap is able to be uncrimped and removed / tapped / reinstalled?

Supraross

Authorized Seller
4332414010 dont know where the dash goes, but that is the whole part number i used and my local toyota dealership was able to order them. Dont know if supramania still gets the hook-up from the dealership in TX or not... But they were 23.xx each.

Supraross

Authorized Seller
IMG_20190523_182658_814.jpg IMG_20190523_182658_812.jpg IMG_20190523_182658_815.jpg so it went pretty easy, small bit to get pilot started with the magnet scooping up shavings. 7/32 bit to cut full hole. Used some engine degreaser then brake clean to flush the old grease out. M6x1 tap to the hole, then ran the fitting in and pumped her full of grease.

Supraross

Authorized Seller
Anyone that's wants to do this, definitely be careful, but there is close to 1/4" of gap between getting through the cap and top of the ball.