Recommended replacement heater core?

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Answer 1:
So the core itself will fit into the large void, and the pipe looks to the be correct length, but I could not get a Toyota pipe to fit into it any further than the wide area where the o-ring would live. I twisted and pushed firmly, but the pipe would not slide in at all.

I didn't push too hard, as I didn't want to get anything stuck or damaged. Plus the pipes slide in and out of my OEM core with ease, I am assuming that is expected.

UPDATE: Rock Auto got back to me and said that of the 41 units of this model they have sold I am the third person to complain about the piping. So maybe when you order you have a chance of getting one that is correct?

Answer 2:
Both the long and short pipes appear to be soldered in place.

Here are some more pics. I found it interesting that the Spectra sits ever so slightly high and doesn't seem to account for the metal piece in the bottom of the plastic core housing. (Guessing this is for turning on the auto heat.)

Height 001.jpg Height 002.jpg Height 003.jpg Height 004.jpg

Last edited:

kmtsd

Authorized Seller
Wow sorry for recommending that Spectra part. I had no issues with mine that I ordered since I've installed it. The pipes were oriented the correct way and it fit right in. Maybe Spectra labeled the the one you received wrong and it is for a different car?

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
They are likely manufactured sloppy. Or someone screwed up the alignment jig there.

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Wow sorry for recommending that Spectra part. I had no issues with mine that I ordered since I've installed it. The pipes were oriented the correct way and it fit right in. Maybe Spectra labeled the the one you received wrong and it is for a different car?
Hey no worries at all! I bet Piratetip is right, some come out good, some are not so good.

I am just glad you got a good one!

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Curious if anyone has a picture of the ECU and ABS computers installed? I cannot remember how they were held in place and or how to search Supramania with 3 letter words :(

Close to having the car back together, don't let me down new o-rings!

Reactions: debrucer

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
I did find an old post that reminded me of how to search!
<THREE LETTER WORD>*

So abs* and ecu* should work, only problem is abs* will return things with absolute and so on, whilst ecu* will find ecumenical. The latter is probably less of a problem of course :p

Sadly haven't found a pic yet, but I will warm up and try again today. I didn't think it was too complicated, but I should have taken pics of everything during the tear down. (To be fair I was expecting to re-assemble that day.)

Last edited:
Reactions: sinistar_xx

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
A good night's sleep and more lamps got me back in action. Here is a pic for Debrucer!

ECU Location.jpg

What threw me (beyond being cold, bleeding, and tired) is the ABS wires sort of twist when the unit it lifted into position. This made me think I had the unit backwards when I actually had it correct.

Reactions: Piratetip

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
So now that enough time has passed and things seem good I can say that although I didn't need to pull the dash or heater core my coolant issues are gone :)

Bottle is holding steady like it should when cold and no more birdcage after a couple of days.

My guess as to what was happening...well, I replaced a generic clamp with the Toyota one on the hose that runs to the horrible union on the back of the head. The old clamp was covered with crusty coolant, so it must have been allowing some to escape. it is just odd that the coolant was climbing the hose.

Reactions: sinistar_xx

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
My guess is that the part you are trying to get will be endlessly back-ordered.
They probably no longer make it anymore.
I was home when Car ID called today and I finally cancelled the order for the OSC :p

They asked if I was sure I wanted to cancel and I said, yep, it has been back ordered for 14 months now!