Recommended replacement heater core?

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
I will be replacing my heater core next month and was curious if anyone had recommendations for a replacement?

I was hoping to buy the OSC model 98712 back in February, as it seemed the best from the research I had done.
(I ordered the "last one" from Rock Auto and what they sent me was not the OSC model. The whole deal cost me $20 in shipping to get nothing at all...)
I also tried to contact OSC several times, but never received a response.

Any advice is appreciated! (And if you have a new OSC 98712 for sale please PM!)

Last edited:

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Wow, this is great! I swear I hit this site when searching back in Feb and it was yet another not available, but maybe I missed it.

At any rate, thanks so much for the Intel plaaya69! Part ordered! (Total for my area came to $75 with shipping and tax.)

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
No problem. I might order one for a spare in the near future. Please share some pictures of the final install with us when you get around to install it :)

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
ToyotaPartsDeal.com also says the heater core, 87107-14170, is discontinued.

When I changed mine about a decade ago (because it started leaking badly), I bought one via Rock Auto that was made in Mexico. It was way cheaper than Toyota's.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I bought one from Autozone that was made in Mexico. It was so bad that I returned it and had my original core serviced, replaced the o-rings and re-installed. The tubes were over 1/8th inch off at the core, making one of them almost two inches off where it connected. Bending was not an option.

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Order delayed till 7/18 now, I sure hope it actually ships for real.

On the subject, is there a better o-ring to use than the Toyota one when putting the new core in?

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Toyota uses standard o rings.

They are either

Viton
N-butyl rubber
Or some other formulation.

Metric size are most common but might get lucky with imperial.