Recommended replacement heater core?

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
I will be replacing my heater core next month and was curious if anyone had recommendations for a replacement?

I was hoping to buy the OSC model 98712 back in February, as it seemed the best from the research I had done.
(I ordered the "last one" from Rock Auto and what they sent me was not the OSC model. The whole deal cost me $20 in shipping to get nothing at all...)
I also tried to contact OSC several times, but never received a response.

Any advice is appreciated! (And if you have a new OSC 98712 for sale please PM!)

Last edited:

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Wow, this is great! I swear I hit this site when searching back in Feb and it was yet another not available, but maybe I missed it.

At any rate, thanks so much for the Intel plaaya69! Part ordered! (Total for my area came to $75 with shipping and tax.)

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
No problem. I might order one for a spare in the near future. Please share some pictures of the final install with us when you get around to install it :)

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Is the Toyota core discontinued? This is a job I hope I never have to do, but I'm going now 29 years on the original .

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
ToyotaPartsDeal.com also says the heater core, 87107-14170, is discontinued.

When I changed mine about a decade ago (because it started leaking badly), I bought one via Rock Auto that was made in Mexico. It was way cheaper than Toyota's.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I bought one from Autozone that was made in Mexico. It was so bad that I returned it and had my original core serviced, replaced the o-rings and re-installed. The tubes were over 1/8th inch off at the core, making one of them almost two inches off where it connected. Bending was not an option.

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Order delayed till 7/18 now, I sure hope it actually ships for real.

On the subject, is there a better o-ring to use than the Toyota one when putting the new core in?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Toyota uses standard o rings.

They are either

Viton
N-butyl rubber
Or some other formulation.

Metric size are most common but might get lucky with imperial.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
My guess is that the part you are trying to get will be endlessly back-ordered.
They probably no longer make it anymore.

You should call the company you ordered it from to contact the manufacturer.
Find out if they are actually making it / delivering that part anymore.

Might save you some headache later.

• Wow
Reactions: loc182

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
The email said that it was being manufactured, but if there are more delays I will have to get in touch with CarID. Here's hoping that OSC is really making it, when I tried to contact them in the past I never got a response.

Truth be told I am secretly a bit happy, as I am not looking forward to that dash dismantling. Though I guess it is going to have to happen eventually :)

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Sadly CarID says "it will be another month" every month on the OSC. Now that it has been about 6 months I am giving up on them.

Does anyone have any thoughts between the two available on Rock Auto?

Happy to take any other recommendations as well. Thanks!
No on the question. I had ordered one from AutoZone and it was made in Mexico. It was physically malformed and being just 1/8 inch off were the tube came out, by the time you were bolted in the connections were two or three inches off. I returned it and had my original professionally cleaned and pressure tested, and they supplied the new o-rings.

kmtsd

Authorized Seller
I ordered my replacement one off of RockAuto. Was here within a week, and haven't had any problems with it. I believe I ordered the Spectra.

Reactions: loc182 and figgie

SupraSpooler

Authorized Seller
My dash is out right now. Should I go ahead and just do this preemptively?

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
My dash is out right now. Should I go ahead and just do this preemptively?
Personally I would just leave it alone and make sure to run Toyota red coolant with the proper distilled water mix but if the Supra has very high miles might that change my opinion. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: SupraSpooler

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Thanks everyone, it will be nice to be able to turn the heat on again!

I am really curious to see where all the coolant I was losing when I used the heat was ending up. Never saw any drips, but the birdcage would happen in the turns after about a week of topping off. (Now that the heat is fully off coolant bottle stays constant.)

Last edited:
Reactions: plaaya69

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
I just dug through my old emails and found what I bought early 2010: PROLIANCE 398296. It's been fine since then (knock on wood).

kmtsd

Authorized Seller
Personally I would just leave it alone and make sure to run Toyota red coolant with the proper distilled water mix but if the Supra has very high miles might that change my opinion. Just my 2 cents.
I take the opposite stance. If you're dash is already out, might as well do it. It's not too expensive.

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
I received the Spectra heater core and it looks to be very well manufactured. So I am feeling a little better about things. Will be curious to see how things go next weekend when I get to work.

shipkiller

Authorized Seller
I received the Spectra heater core and it looks to be very well manufactured. So I am feeling a little better about things. Will be curious to see how things go next weekend when I get to work.
The spectra core I received looked like a 20years old used unit...

• Wow

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
The spectra core I received looked like a 20years old used unit...
Funny you should say that, I felt the exact same way when Rock Auto sent me that "OSC" heater core back in February. (Which I sent back.)

Here is the pic of the new one I just got, hopefully it doesn't look too bad:
Heater Core copy.jpg

A70nut

Authorized Seller
I notice nobody has mentioned this yet in this thread, but when I replaced mine it destroyed the metal clips holding the inlet and outlet pipes to the core, since they arent available anymore I chose to have a local radiator shop braze the tubes to the heater core, allowing for a solid leak free connection that fits just like stock.