Reccomendations for "modern" dampers/springs (coilovers)?

allfans26

Branden K
Authorized Seller
Hey all.

My intended goal is to have better handling of my car. I'm not a fan of having the car heave over while accelerating out of my neighborhood and turning on a road to 45 mph. I've been looking around for trying to reduce body roll and I seem to have found that the general consensus is to first upgrade the factory suspension.

I'm just trying to gather more information on what damper and spring (coil overs is what I believe they're called?) setup is appropriate for me. I like my factory TEMS where the "normal" is soft enough for daily driving and love the "sport" setting to make me feel almost every bump on the road while resisting the body roll on some spirited driving. Is there a coilover that appears to have better or "modern" handling characteristic? I'm not a fan of stiff driving. The closest thing to stiff driving is firm setting on TEMS. I'll be glad to add more information if my thread is lacking.

Regards,
Branden

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
For body roll, upgrade the sway bars, it makes a huge difference. Titan has them on sale right now: http://www.titanmotorsports.com/sustecfronan.html
I will probably be doing sway bars this year. Are these the ones you have? Do you know if the sway bars are hollow or solid? I see the GodSpeed ones for sale but not too many people seem to recommend those.

Thanks.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
The ST swaybars are solid. And very heavy compared to the OEM ones (hollow).
(I find the reduction in body roll is too high, car basically stays totally flat.)
I am actually removing my ST bars and switching back to the OEM ones for awhile.

Will be experimenting around with different combinations of sway bars to find a good middle ground.

Anyone know of any other aftermarket sway bars that are also hollow?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
get fortune auto coilovers. better bang for the buck with better quality. and then get lower spring rates like 12/8 or 14/10

GC89

BoostRodeo
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The ST swaybars are solid. And very heavy compared to the OEM ones (hollow).
(I find the reduction in body roll is too high, car basically stays totally flat.)
I am actually removing my ST bars and switching back to the OEM ones for awhile.

Will be experimenting around with different combinations of sway bars to find a good middle ground.

Anyone know of any other aftermarket sway bars that are also hollow?
A hollow bar can actually be stiffer than a solid bar in many cases, so don't judge the rate on that alone. The stiffest rear bar ever produced for the MKIII was the tanabe and it was hollow and not much heavier than stock. That is what I run on my street car with softer springs to provide a decent ride, adequate roll for traction but still feel planted.

The sway bar comparison that is stickied in the suspension tech section has measured rates but unfortunately only for stock, tanabe and whiteline. ST was not done and godspeed and some of the other Chinese brands were not on the market at the time it was created.

allfans26

Branden K
Authorized Seller
What about Monroe struts? I was looking around to see that these struts are compatible. I'm not sure of its effect on ride quality -- if it's stiff, soft, or in between. Has anyone here had experience with these? Here's one for example: MONROE 71215.

Also, what about KYB? What are their struts like in terms of ride quality? Firm or hard, soft, or in between? For example: KYB 341069

Given those two shock options, would I have to consider new springs to accommodate the potential difference in spring and damping rates?

I'm still learning about what shock/struts are right for me so I'd like to get as much information as I can for each strut that was suggested here. :)

Last edited:

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Those would be fine if you just want stock replacement (which is fine if that's what you want). Neither are performance models. Do you want to keep TEMS? Unfortunately, there isn't really any options anymore. Tokico Illumina were the only ones that retained TEMS compatibility, but they are long since discontinued.

If you want better handling, I'd recommend Eibach springs and a performance shock/strut like Koni Yellows. The Eibachs aren't a huge drop, about 1.5" front and 1" rear. But again, not adjustable on the fly, you have to disassemble the suspension to change the rebound.

If you want to retain the ability to adjust the shocks, your only option is something like the Teins and EDFC as far as I know.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I will probably be doing sway bars this year. Are these the ones you have? Do you know if the sway bars are hollow or solid? I see the GodSpeed ones for sale but not too many people seem to recommend those.

Thanks.
I've got the ST sways, Eibach springs, and Koni Yellows. I really like how it handles (from what I remember, it's been awhile since it drove).

allfans26

Branden K
Authorized Seller
Those would be fine if you just want stock replacement (which is fine if that's what you want). Neither are performance models. Do you want to keep TEMS? Unfortunately, there isn't really any options anymore. Tokico Illumina were the only ones that retained TEMS compatibility, but they are long since discontinued.

If you want better handling, I'd recommend Eibach springs and a performance shock/strut like Koni Yellows. The Eibachs aren't a huge drop, about 1.5" front and 1" rear. But again, not adjustable on the fly, you have to disassemble the suspension to change the rebound.

If you want to retain the ability to adjust the shocks, your only option is something like the Teins and EDFC as far as I know.
Thanks! I don't think I can compromise between comfort and performance. I'd like to have one or the other (like my current TEMS setup). I'll look into those teins and EDFC.

With Teins and EDFC, what are they like in terms of daily driving comfort to on-demand performance setting on those struts?

KenHenderson

Authorized Seller
I am very pleased with my ST bars and Tein Street Flex coilovers. My car had TEMS but, in general though not always, I prefer chassis-specific coilovers to chassis-specific springs/shocks, so sacrificing the OEM TEMS was okay with me. I think this combo is perfect for the MKIII and my driving style and I have not driven a MKIII with a better ride/handling balance.

Ken.