Rear subframe bushing (SuperPro) question(s).

MoparMarq

Authorized Seller
Well, I got to the point jacking the subframe into place under the car. That's no easy task single-handed, but I digress. The front pairs of bolts look like they will properly crush/capture the bushing sleeves and hold them in place. The rear bushing on each side has approximately 3/8" of chassis bolt non-threaded portion exposed, In other words, with the bushing up against the chassis, any nut (even with the dished capture washer) will bottom on the threads of the bolt before it significantly captures the bottom side of the bushing. There is a 1/4" or so of dished washer thickness and non-threaded portion of the nut before that point, but that still means around 1/8" of slop to allow the bushing to move up and down. I have some spare zinc washers I can put in, but I wasn't sure if I'm doing something wrong here, or if anyone else has run into this. I've got a few pictures included to show what I'm talking about.
Below, as installed with lower dish washer and nut loosely installed.

IMG_4480.JPG

Below, view from below with nut/washer removed. You can see where the threads end. From there to bushing sleeve is approx. 3/8".

IMG_4481.JPG

Below, top-side view of dished washer and nut.

IMG_4482.JPG

Below, dished washer with one of the smaller washers that I could put between dished washer and nut to add space before nut bottoms on threads.

IMG_4483.JPG

Below, another option to have a larger washer between dished washer and bushing itself to add the space for nut thread engagement before bottoming.

IMG_4484.JPG

Below, the difference in the two washers. Can't really use the big washer between dished washer and nut, as it is larger diameter than the bottom of dish in dished washer and will itself dish somewhat as the nut is tightened down to spec. And speaking of spec, I can't find anywhere in the FSM (TSRM?) what the torque spec is on these subframe bushing nuts and bolts, including the 14 mm bolts for the plate at the forward end of rear subframe. The SuperPro directions don't include the spec either.

IMG_4485.JPG

Thanks for any help or guidance.
-Marq

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I don't recall having any spacing issues when I installed mine.
There was enough threads left to tighten without deforming or having clearance issues.
An extra washer was not required on mine.

Is the captured bolt within the subframe pulling out or deforming? Just an idea. (Being ripped out from the subframe?)

If you are having issues with this, I would suggest only adding a washer between the nut and the dished spacer.
I would not put a washer between the bushing and dished spacer.
If you need more than one I would machine a thicker one on a lathe, not doubling up on washers.

The torque spec for those is here in the TSRM. - 133ft/lbs
Honestly not the easiest thing to find, in the Maintenance section.

These 2 images are before I tightened everything down, notice the space between the bushing and subframe.

Reactions: 86.5toysoupt

MoparMarq

Authorized Seller
Is the captured bolt within the subframe pulling out or deforming? Just an idea. (Being ripped out from the subframe?)
That didn't occur to me, as the issue exists on both sides to the same extent. But I will check for any deformation or weirdness.

If you are having issues with this, I would suggest only adding a washer between the nut and the dished spacer.
I would not put a washer between the bushing and dished spacer.
Kinda what I was thinking. Nice to have a second opinion.

If you need more than one I would machine a thicker one on a lathe, not doubling up on washers.
Prudent. Thanks.

The torque spec for those is here in the TSRM. - 133ft/lbs
Honestly not the easiest thing to find, in the Maintenance section.
I shoulda looked in that section. Stupidly, I looked in Suspension and Body sections.

Thanks again.