Rear Subframe Advice

SupraDrew

Authorized Seller
Hello,

I am looking for advice on the best plan of action on a subframe replacement. My current subframe is cracked, so I was able to get a replacement for it from eBay. It is one of the cleanest I have seen; it was from a 54k 87 auto NA car. I am looking for input on what to do to it, so I don’t have to worry about it cracking again. I don’t plan to beat on the car either like I did 15 years ago.

Parts I have for it:

SupraPro bushings (subframe)

Battle Version Arms (All)

Energy bushings (upper arms)

New Toyota spherical bushings (all 4)

What are other options to make the subframe stronger? I have seen people who have added bars, I can try and find the 89-92 support bars. I have seen people have sheet metal added to it. What are thoughts on getting it to hold up to 400rwhp over time?

Thanks,

Attachments

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I would focus on welding in additional sheet metal at the points where cracking typically occurs.
One typical area is where the front of the diff mounts to the subframe.
The other common modification is adding a couple triangulated braces from that same spot out to the side.

There are some old posts here that describe those areas.

I have some photos where I welded in some tube reinforcement on my own. Will upload when I am back from a trip. The nice part of this added bracing is that it does not run into anything / is not in the way of anything once installed.

At one point I believe BIC offered some sheet metal to weld in and reinforce those areas. I believe there are still photos somewhere.

Here:
http://www.supramania.com/forum/threads/gauging-interest-rear-subframe-repair-kit.102969/

Good choice on the superpro bushings!
I love mine! You will need a large press to install them properly.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Last edited:

SupraDrew

Authorized Seller
Thanks Pirateip, lots of good options for me to consider. Looking for stock 89+ add on bars not really worth it.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yeah the stock reinforcing bars are honestly not very effective. Better to just weld in the bracing and extra sheet metal