Real 7MGTE Oil System Answers

SupraStew

Hey guys, my name is Stewart and I have an 85 mk2 Supra that I am 7mgte swapping over the winter and spring. For the last month I have combed over multiple forums and hundreds of threads about how tp properly address the issues that are typically associated with having a 7m, my question is oil pressure/pump related. I am planning on getting rid of the stock pressure regulated oil cooler and running a thermostat controlled aftermarket oil cooler setup. But what I am having a great deal of issue figuring out what to do about the oil pump, there is so much back and fourth on posts about shimming and its positives and negatives I'm not sure what to do.
My question is: If i have an
WITHIN SPEC stock oil pump and thermostatically controlled oil cooling setup with a relocated oil filter is there a need to shim the oil pump for engine longevity or will the stock pressures be adequate ? Power goals are fairly tame: 300whp or less.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Shimming the oil pump changes the relief pressure. It does not have any impact on normal running conditions until you're beyond the factory relief point - generally ~40 psi if memory serves. I don't think shimming is a complete answer to the 7M's oil woes.

If you want to improve oil system health I'd get a pump that has been moly coated to minimize the clearance in the teeth of the pump. Driftmotion offered one years ago and I think they still do. That upgrade can actually produce more pressure and flow across the full rev range.

At your power level I'd skip the shimming altogether. I'd get the moly-coated pump and spend your energy ensuring the new oil cooler setup is a clean and professional as possible.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
For the oil cooler setup, I'd suggest looking at:

Moroso Remote Oil Filter Adapter for the block, lets you position the outputs in whatever direction suits your build: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mor-23682

Greddy Remote Mount Filter with Thermostat, all in one unit for a good price with -10AN connections:
https://frsport.com/greddy-12401114-remote-oil-filter-relocation-thermostat?redirect=1&currency=CAD

The Greddy part will save you a bunch of lines and fittings, and money.

Make sure you buy a good quality oil cooler, I was looking at replacing my basic B&M model with a Mishimoto that already has -10AN fittings: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mio-mmoc-19/overview/

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
For the oil cooler setup, I'd suggest looking at:

Moroso Remote Oil Filter Adapter for the block, lets you position the outputs in whatever direction suits your build: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mor-23693/overview/

Greddy Remote Mount Filter with Thermostat, all in one unit for a good price with -10AN connections:
https://frsport.com/greddy-12401114-remote-oil-filter-relocation-thermostat?redirect=1&currency=CAD

The Greddy part will save you a bunch of lines and fittings, and money.

Make sure you buy a good quality oil cooler, I was looking at replacing my basic B&M model with a Mishimoto that already has -10AN fittings: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mio-mmoc-19/overview/

It looks like the adapter you posted is a sandwhich adapter requiring the filter to mount on the adapter itself. The Remote filter mount also requires a filter. So... you'd have two filters. I think you meant to recommend a plate adapter instead of the sandwhich one. That way you'd have the filter mounted remotely on the Greddy piece and just the plate on the block. Correct?

SupraStew

Thanks for the replies guys, my main "problem" with getting any sort of aftermarket pump is that in order to swap a 7mgte to a mk2 you need to use the 5m's front sump oil pan and pump. (The 5m front sump pump is identical in every way to a 7m's it just has a slightly less restrictive pickup tube). So i'm a bit stuck as far as what to do with the pump because any aftermarket 7m pumps are mid sump, i'm not wanting to take on any serious pump modification/fab if necessary. I do like to drive my cars on the harder side to extending engine life to as long as possible (within reason) is the goal.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I like that combined thermostat/filter mount.

Has anyone done any measurements of oil temperature before and after the cooler? I was reading a long thread on a Pathfinder forum regarding the A/T coolers (the car has both internal and external A/T coolers from the factory) and the measured change in temperature through the external cooler was only about 10 degrees even though it was big and sitting in front of the rad.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Thanks for the replies guys, my main "problem" with getting any sort of aftermarket pump is that in order to swap a 7mgte to a mk2 you need to use the 5m's front sump oil pan and pump. (The 5m front sump pump is identical in every way to a 7m's it just has a slightly less restrictive pickup tube). So i'm a bit stuck as far as what to do with the pump because any aftermarket 7m pumps are mid sump, i'm not wanting to take on any serious pump modification/fab if necessary. I do like to drive my cars on the harder side to extending engine life to as long as possible (within reason) is the goal.
Looks like Driftmotion has you covered. They offer a modified 7M pump speficially for the mk2's sump.

http://www.driftmotion.com/Driftmotion-7M-Upgraded-Oil-Pump-p/dm1072.htm

Has anyone done any measurements of oil temperature before and after the cooler? I was reading a long thread on a Pathfinder forum regarding the A/T coolers (the car has both internal and external A/T coolers from the factory) and the measured change in temperature through the external cooler was only about 10 degrees even though it was big and sitting in front of the rad.
That would be excellent info. I bet you could get very different results with different coolers and placements. You may also decrease radiator cooling efficiency. It's all worse with the Supra sort of application, too, since most of us will have a big intercooler up front. That's a lot of stacked coolers in one area.

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller

This is a bit unscientific but I did have a temp gauge hooked up temporarily. Only on the outlet though, and this is what i remember. During the summer at night my trans with the stock cooler would register 180'F-190'F sitting in traffic. If I did launches and other stupid stuff it would rise above 210'F easily. When moving it was about 175'F sometimes 160'F. With my B&M Cooler it registered 130-140'F at idle in traffic and around 120'F moving.

shadowman1977

Authorized Seller
Wow, so much info. I feel like a noob and I have been doing this over 20 years.
I installed a 12” by 8” remote oil cooler in front of the A.C. fan and removed my A.C. , mounted a dual filter remote housing under rad.., (with mobil-1 and a Trasko in series) installed a 3 tier aluminum radiator with two fans and an earls oil thermostat mounted after below the intake mani.. and an oil temp. sensor, 10 A.N. fittings and push lock hose all the way. I did my best to improve cooling theoretically, hope I did enough. Awesome planning on your part SupraStew!

Last edited: