Rack and Pinion Install

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
Starting up my old thread. So the remanufactured rack I installed back in 2016 started leaking last year and its now at the point it needs replaced again. Does it even matter where I buy the rack at this point since they are all pretty much shit. Any suggestions would be helpful. I dont want a Cardone one after reading Piratetips old thread. Someone had recommended a a company in Detroit?

At this point rock auto doesn't even have them anymore. They just offer a rebuild service for $205 and Pep boys and Autozone dont even stock them.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I haven't figured it out honestly.

I need to get another one too, but due to dead on center feel.

Toyota used to list a rebuilt rack, but I am not seeing it now.
Also I heard good things about detroit axle rebuilds, but they are quite expensive. ($650)

Its a crap shoot at this point, were SOL I think. :D

Do you have the rack with or without the dampener?

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I don’t know if they ship, but I’ve had zero problems with PPE. They charge you for the part +core and you give them the old one when you replace it and they’ll refund the core. It’s pretty convenient. I’ve gotten racks, alternators and starters from them.

http://www.performancepartsexch.com/

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I got mine off an ebay seller then sent my old one to a local rebuilder here in CA.
Ebay one is working fine for now so I haven't tried the rebuilt one yet.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Lucky. Seems very hit and miss.

I contacted mavalgear to inquire about their rebuilds.

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
I haven't figured it out honestly.

I need to get another one too, but due to dead on center feel.

Toyota used to list a rebuilt rack, but I am not seeing it now.
Also I heard good things about detroit axle rebuilds, but they are quite expensive. ($650)

Its a crap shoot at this point, were SOL I think. :D

Do you have the rack with or without the dampener?
With PPS. I would think this would be a great part for the heritage program. I bet I haven't even put 10k on my supra since 2016. That's a joke to me that its leaking.

$472 for the detriot axle rebuild. I don't mind paying if its a good quality part and will last a while.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
100% agree on the heritage parts.
If they offered a totally new rack, not a rebuild, I would buy it even if it was 800$.
I am so tired of shitty steering components.

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
I don’t know if they ship, but I’ve had zero problems with PPE. They charge you for the part +core and you give them the old one when you replace it and they’ll refund the core. It’s pretty convenient. I’ve gotten racks, alternators and starters from them.

http://www.performancepartsexch.com/
I found this on the site but it says $100. Cant be accurate.

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I found this on the site but it says $100. Cant be accurate.

I’d call them. This place is where a lot of local shops, including some Supra shops, go to. They are definitely cheaper because they’re rebuilt, not new.

jcpham

Authorized Seller
After reading this entire thread, I'm not looking forward to pulling the steering rack. I have slight vibration in the front passenger side under braking that _seems_ to be getting worse. I've checked the both front rotors with a dial caliper and they don't seem warped. The whole knuckle assembly on both sides has some play in it without the rotor,passenger side being the most noticeable.

I've ordered new tie rod end for both sides just as a cheap quick fix to see if it improves.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
You might want to take a close look at the lower ball joints. They do fail regularly. Relatively easy to replace. I cannot imagine the rack is responsible for a vibration like that.

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
Yea im not sure outter tie rods are your issue, Honestly sounds like rotors. Id go to Napa and try new rotors before I'd go down that path.

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I would agree that doesn't sound like a typical rack issue.
You could check the rack bushings also before you go and pull the entire thing as well.

alcyon

Authorized Seller
Install a hayden 1009 cooler. That will keep temps down. And use DexIII ATF only.

Dave 1jz

Authorized Seller
You might still be able to rebuild the one you have. Is it leaking in the drivers side boot? Then the installation of the rack could have caused damage to the seal. Some people neglect to tape the teeth before pushing the rack through the cilinder and seal.

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
I found someone that has an OEM 92 steering rack that was rebuilt. I figure this would be better than me buying another reman unit. Can anyone confirm a 92 rack with pps will work in my 89 with pps?