Prop Shaft M-Joint and V-Joint Center Support Bearings

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
This question is begging for Jeff Lange's input. I am replacing my center support bearing for the driveshaft.

Based on the EPC there are two types of bearings, M and V-joint. Looking at my old one, it compares to the M-joint illustration in the manual and parts catalog. The one I received from Toyota looks like the V-joint (37230-24051) . Part numbers seem to confirm it although I'm not totally certain.

The question is can I use the V-joint bearing to replace my M-joint bearing. Physically it seems to fit just fine, but maybe some dimension are off a little and I don't know it.

M-Joint
IMG_8913Ms.JPG

V-Joint (mounted to prop shaft)
IMG_8912Vs.JPG

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Interesting.

Everything I am reading says those 2 are interchangeable.
Though I can't say that V flange one is common here in the states, usually see the M flange.

When looking up PN, both flanges show exactly the same fitment. (When you open N. America 88-93)
Though the M flange shows more models overall in all regions.
V
M

My guess is the V flange is the newest design, but Jeff will have to chime in with the full story.

V Flange PN's:
37230-24060, 37230-24061, 37230-24051

M Flange PN:
37230-14070

Another thread discussing this topic:

the t3d

P B4 A
Authorized Seller
Interesting.

Everything I am reading says those 2 are interchangeable.
Though I can't say that V flange one is common here in the states, usually see the M flange.

When looking up PN, both flanges show exactly the same fitment. (When you open N. America 88-93)
Though the M flange shows more models overall in all regions.
V
M

My guess is the V flange is the newest design, but Jeff will have to chime in with the full story.

V Flange PN's:
37230-24060, 37230-24061, 37230-24051

M Flange PN:
37230-14070

Another thread discussing this topic:

My DS support bearing really started to show its age after I replaced all the u-joints. I found out that this is the one I needed. Fit perfectly and I haven't had any vibration issues since. And let me tell you, it was loud and scary as hell to feel that bearing loose and rumbling beneath you.

Worked for me

This DID NOT work for me. Had to return it.

Hope that helps!

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Good information Nick.

I need to confirm this "By the way, if you ever need to confirm if yours is the "M" or "V" joint, it's stamped on the INSIDE section of the centre tailshaft flange (so you can't see it until you split the shaft)"

The one marked "worked for me" looks like an M style.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yeah I saw that note as well on the stamped end in the other thread.

the t3d

P B4 A
Authorized Seller
Good information Nick.

I need to confirm this "By the way, if you ever need to confirm if yours is the "M" or "V" joint, it's stamped on the INSIDE section of the centre tailshaft flange (so you can't see it until you split the shaft)"

The one marked "worked for me" looks like an M style.
Indeed

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Honestly I like the look of the V style you have there more than the M.
This is the first time I've seen that style on a A70 here.
If it's dimensionally the same it won't matter anyway.
It's just a support bearing floating inside a rubber isolator.
Really not much to it.

Hybrid

Supramania Regular
Authorized Seller
I had both the manual MA70 shaft with the M-Joint, and the manual JZA70 shaft with the V-Joint.

The MA70 front shaft portion was much thicker than the JZA70, the rear portion MA70 shaft was about the same from memory to the JZA70 version.

I sold the JZA70 shaft and kept the MA70 one, and bought a new M-Joint to suit.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
From what I can tell, Toyota added a second supplier of shafts later in A70 production to supplement the production line. If we're talking entire shafts, they're completely interchangeable. If you start talking about components, it's not quite as clear.

M-Joint type uses replaceable universal joints that use snap rings. V-Joint type use staked universal joints. Looking at the joints themselves, it's very easy to spot the difference.

For outside Japan, all 1986-1989 cars used the M-Joint type with replaceable u-joints. 1990-1992 cars used both types, depending on the supplier. Pretty much the same for Japan, with some exceptions for low-grade GA70's.

MA70 and JZA70 use the same rear shafts, as long as you're comparing V-type to V-type and M-type to M-type.

Getting back to the centre support bearing, the flange itself is the same between M-joint and V-joint, but as you've seen, the support itself is different. I've not experimented too much with swapping them around, but based on what I've seen I would expect you'd probably be okay with interchanging them.

86-87 M-Joint uses 37230-14061 (discontinued)
88-92 M-Joint uses 37230-14070 (still available)
90-92 V-Joint uses 37230-24051 (still available)

Jeff

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Updated my post with a bit more info. I suspect so, but if it was me, I'd probably just try to get the correct one.

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Yeah I remember that thread, but it's also still available from Toyota for either type, so it's not a bad way to go. Unless saving money is your primary goal - which it is for some.

Jeff

SupraDrew

Authorized Seller
I have been looking for a M replacement that was not north of $250 that Toyota offers. I found a site that offers both version for a MUCH cheaper price. I have a M version on the way and will report on what i receive.

I hope it is OK to post a link to a site. Toyota Center Supports

Thanks,
Andrew

Reactions: Jeff Lange