Project_2012: 7MGTE Powered MK3!

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Authorized Seller
Hi guys, as most of you know, I had a 1988 Toyota Supra n/a a couple months back that I have sold :( And acquired a 89 Supra turbo targa :evil2: Well to make long story short, heres a couple pictures of my progress, it originally had torn leather seats so i traded em out with blue seats,the guy just threw in the back seats for free (they are black yes, but ill use them for now till i find some OEM blue rear seats). Enjoy!

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Authorized Seller
Currently in the process of swapping over to a grey interior at the moment, ill post pics later on as soon as i source 89+ Seats :)

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Authorized Seller
^ Thanks, I was actually inspired by your build thread when you swapped it out, it looked real clean with the blue/grey combination. :)

S.A. supra

Authorized Seller
Yeah I.thought the grey might be to light for the gay blue, but turned out nice. Honestabe also did the.grey swap

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Those headlights need to go in the trash. They aren't the absolute worst I've seen, but they are damn close. There are sealed beams with better performance than those...

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Authorized Seller
^ Thanks for the tip. as for now i have a source for HELLA e-codes(?) but that is not the most important thing to me right now. What would you best recommend for housings? Im trying to go HID's sometime in the near future

jonahs_supra

Authorized Seller
Good luck
Clean car

I had those headlights on my supra...
Sucked real bad
Drove around with my high beams on
In the rain at night your better off to just turn your headlights off lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
^ Thanks for the tip. as for now i have a source for HELLA e-codes(?) but that is not the most important thing to me right now. What would you best recommend for housings? Im trying to go HID's sometime in the near future
Hellas are a good headlight, but they don't convert to HID well. If you are sure you want HID in the future, cut up the housings you have and put proper projectors inside of them. It's been done a few times by now.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Authorized Seller
Thanks, i will definitely consider doing that. As for updates, i got a free 86.5 Grey interior. Im not really feeling the seats and inserts, but those will be replaced with the proper 89+ Stuff later on, and a picture of my new front tires, theyre Toyo Proxes FZ4

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Authorized Seller
Currently trying to configure out a exhaust setup. Im thinking a 3" downpipe with the first cat deleted, and the rest is just 3" piping with a cat for emissions and a test pipe for the rest, and some aftermarket muffler at the end. I already have a K&N intake just trying to match that up with a proper exhaust as I have a shimmed wastegate at the moment, turbo upgrades will be later, oh, and new rear shocks come in the mail tomorrow :D

IndigoMKII

Authorized Seller
Looks good so far, remember not to shim the WG too far or it could go bad. Have you done a leak test on the IC piping? It's a cheap/easy check to make sure you're not losing power from the turbo to the intake other than pressure loss in the stock IC.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Authorized Seller
I have not done a leak test yet, i havent shimmed the wastegate too much, i think only 3 washers based on the SOGI mod so it was safe. Not hitting fuel cut so thats a good sign :) By the way I have installed new rear shocks, unfortunately i wasn't able to snap any pictures but all i can say, is that they are more firm and no more bouncy rear end for me, the old shocks were completely blown out and literally leaked all of its hydraulic fluid

BrandonW

Authorized Seller
good work on the car so far

i like toyo tires i have the proxes 4's on the saw blades and on my rims

i would go with the apexi intake over the k&n its better and less expensive

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Authorized Seller
Currently looking for a weld-on and affordable muffler, anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for something that isn't too small, preferably round with a big exhaust tip, has a deep note to it but nothing that has loud cabin drone, I had an aerospeed I believe before I had to get rid of it to pass emissions, any suggestions would be great, thanks guys!

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Authorized Seller
New pics, long time delay I finally made progress with the Supra: 3" full turbo-back exhaust (Apexi N1), 8000k HID's, new hood shocks, Kumho Ecsta AST rears, manual boost controller, more to come :)

planemos

Authorized Seller
Awesome. You know what I think you should do next? Get some of that spray on engine de greaser. Park next to a pressure washer and spray your block and transmission by the exhaust there it looks dirty. Then let it sit and rinse it off. That stuff works great!

Avicii

Authorized Seller
how easy did the HID install go? and whats the best place to buy them? i have been debating doing the headlight swap for a loooooong time i will probably go 6k crystal clear though i am not a fan of the blue tint. i wish my car was half as clean as this, maybe one day :D

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Authorized Seller
I shall look into degreasing my motor soon :)

Avicii: The HID install was fairly easy, just the tricky part was where to mount the ballast because of the flip up lights. I decided to mount them on top of the frame rails that the front reinforcement bar bolts onto, the wire was long enough to reach the headlight housing without strain or crushing anything. I bought mine from http://www.hidnation.com they got pretty good HID kits, then i just have ebay housings for now, they may seem like crap as everyone seems to say on here, but they do the job pretty well for me, compared to stock lights that is.

kotu100

Authorized Seller
You need to rip out those HID's or get some projectors to retrofit. I put HId's in those same housings before i did the retro and OMFG those things throw light out like crazy. EXTREMELY dangerous to the other drivers. Not to mention illegal.

The rest of the car looks awesome though, grey interior cleaned it up very nicely, and the body looks solid and straight. Good job!

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Authorized Seller
Long time no updates, took a trip down to Portland/Clackamas OR the past few days, acquired a few mk3 Supra parts. No more tiny blue interior bits for my grey interior, all i just need now is the e-brake boot from toyota and the matching 90 drivers seat :) I also got some Starion/Conquest rims from a guy down in portland, just need the matching fronts, they look so much better than the sawblades!

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Authorized Seller
Updates: Finally got my mint set of steering column covers thanks to emericaskater285, My ignition column area looks way better without the wires and metal parts stickin' out! I also got the chance to do the SOGI shifter mod to the R154, and as much as people say the shifter gets more notchier and difficult to shift, mine felt the same. Bought a better shift boot, a universal shift knob, OEM toyota truck shifter seat bushing, and fresh 3qts of Valvoline 75w-90 gear oil. Not only did shifting feel more solid and no more play with the shifter itself, but the height did dramatically change...

Before:

After:

Supra28

Supramanian
Authorized Seller
Kind of looks like you have slicks with the starion wheels haha. And what a difference in height with the SOGI mod! The gauge cluster illumination is pretty nice too.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Authorized Seller
thanks, yeah sogi mod made the car more better in driveability, no more tall shifter! as for the starions ha yeah they do look like they got some slicks on them haha

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Authorized Seller
Received some parts from McCord's Vancouver Toyota, installed em' goodies on the car, as well as my BOV my buddy gave me, everythings goin well, btw make sure to follow my red mk3 restoration thread :D

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Authorized Seller
Picked up a set of MKIV n/a 5-spokes, They made the car look way better over the sawblades. I just need to lower the car now, and i finally got rid of the crappy ebay housings, and picked up a pair of HELLA e-codes.

Supra28

Supramanian
Authorized Seller
The mkiv n/a's look good! Waaaay better than the sawblades and starion's. I'm browsing with my phone right now and can't see little details too well, but is that a dent next to your d/s tail light?

And what set up are you planning to go with for suspension? Shocks and springs for now I assume?

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Authorized Seller
Yeah they were a lot better looking, I love the staggered setup as well. Im planning on going with shocks and lowering springs yes, and that is a dent the previous owner left that im fixing up.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Authorized Seller
Here are some new pics after replacing the rear primered bumper, just washed up the car as well, she needs a good lowering next, im thinking H&R springs :D

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Nice car, but did you use the right paint code or just tried and match it as close as you can. Its just a little bit darker. How much did that cost you and where did you get it from? Also, that's not an Apexi N1 exhaust. Might be the muffler and it's not suppose to be 2 piece. However, it looks like there a straight section that's welded on there? I have an Apexi N1, it's a 1 piece exhaust and it sits at an angle.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Also, since you're already running HID in the Hella ecodes, you can space out the bulbs to reduce the glare. I've had them and done so and yes they worked wonder.