Project Ookii Ao: Road to 500whp

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Results for tonight:
1571380918714.png
1571380940272.png

A flaw in the hood basecoat. I believe this is called mottling and I think it's due to non-ideal spray patterns. The hood was a fickle bitch for multiple reasons.

1571380972868.png

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Im surprised you didn't remove the hood and paint it off the car

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Im surprised you didn't remove the hood and paint it off the car
I actually did remove it. I needed to repair some previous owner work on a hinge. I decided to reinstall for paint because:

1. That's how the factory does it
and
2. I realized I have more off-car objects to paint than I have part stands and booth space so that's going to be a pain
and
3. I will be doing an engine-out rebuild and respraying the engine bay at that time. I can re-do areas that were missed then if needed.

Reactions: debrucer

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Actually be able to afford a detached home larger than 1000 sq ft on less than a surgeon's salary, for one. ;)
When I lived in North Carolina the cost for a small shop was a couple hundred a month, but the salaries were lower where they existed. When one job came to an end, there was nothing more. Love to have that space here :)

Guess I'm saying, it's all relative.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
When I lived in North Carolina the cost for a small shop was a couple hundred a month, but the salaries were lower where they existed. When one job came to an end, there was nothing more. Love to have that space here :)

Guess I'm saying, it's all relative.
To some degree, I agree, but SF is insane. I've visited multiple times. I don't get why folks live there if they have any desire to live in a home. Unless you're pulling in $250k+ or you inherited a trust fund, there's just no way to not be house poor for life.

I'm grateful we bought our home a few years back before Colorado housing spiked. Not sure we could buy a house this big in today's Colorado market.

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Average rent for an apt is 2k+ here, some places it's over 3k/mo. For what I'm paying for owning my condo I could have a huge place in AZ.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Average rent for an apt is 2k+ here, some places it's over 3k/mo. For what I'm paying for owning my condo I could have a huge place in AZ.
My friend lived about 1000 feet north of Coit Tower in a one-bedroom apartment with no parking. Her rent was $1800 around 2004, but, she also earned a ton, twice what she earned 3 years later in Atlanta Georgia. Seemed insane to me. but what a view! When I say no parking, that pretty much held true for on the street parking. When you found a place, you didn't move so often. I walked a LOT when I visited her. Arrived on a plane, Super Shuttle to the hotel, walk to her place. Yeah, maybe that's it. Do do cars in SF :)

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Hah that's pretty cool.
You can get lucky here and there but overall it's nuts unless you make real good money.

How many coats are you planning on using? Also about how much overall do you think the paint job is going to be?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Hah that's pretty cool.
You can get lucky here and there but overall it's nuts unless you make real good money.

How many coats are you planning on using? Also about how much overall do you think the paint job is going to be?
On the body so far I did the following. I'll use a similar approach for other panels.

1. Epoxy primer (Omni MP170) - 2 passes
2. High Build Urethane Surfacer (Omni MP282) - 2 passes
3. Epoxy Primer (Omni MP170) again where I blocked through the previous primers - 1 pass
4. Base Coat (Deltron DBC) - 2-3 passes
5. Clear (Deltron Velocity 4000) - 2 passes, final one extra heavy

I'm pacing to use about 2 quarts of base and a gallon of clear. I'll likely use 2.5 quarts of high build primer and a quart of epoxy.

Total cost for paint chemicals is around $1500.

That doesn't include any tools or consumables like sand paper, blocks, towels, bottles, paint guns, air setup, etc... Needless to say, it's still very expensive even though this is all DIY. You could go with harbor freight spray guns and lower tier (Omni) chemicals all the way for 1/3 -1/2 the overall cost, but as enticing as saving that cash is, I have WAY more into the car's paintwork in terms of labor than a few thousand. I've logged hours for most tasks and I'm a solid 100 hours into it with dozens more to go before I'm done. Saving a little cash on cheap materials seemed foolish in the long game.

I knew paint jobs were expensive when you're paying a shop, but I now have a much better appreciation for that. It's an incredible amount of work and requires a level of attention to detail only challenged by high stress motor builds. Knowing what I know now, I'd have a real hard time starting from scratch unless I was able to make this my full-time job. It's a bit much on top of a day job, running my own side-business and being married with a toddler...

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
Looks great! In a similar situation as you. I have a 5 yr old, 3 yr old and a 1 yr old. Also work 7 days a week with 2 jobs. Unless I stay up after the kids go to bed or wake up real early I have zero time to work on my car. I have an old school HKS intercooler, 57 trim turbo and some Illuminas/Eibachs (to compliment my already installed HKS TEMS controller )that have been sitting in my garage for almost a year now. Just took my car off insurance for the winter and want all of it installed before it goes back on next April.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Looks great! In a similar situation as you. I have a 5 yr old, 3 yr old and a 1 yr old. Also work 7 days a week with 2 jobs. Unless I stay up after the kids go to bed or wake up real early I have zero time to work on my car. I have an old school HKS intercooler, 57 trim turbo and some Illuminas/Eibachs (to compliment my already installed HKS TEMS controller )that have been sitting in my garage for almost a year now. Just took my car off insurance for the winter and want all of it installed before it goes back on next April.
Yup, that sounds familiar. Most my car work happens during naptime or after the little one goes to bed. But that time also has to go towards the YotaMD business and spending some downtime with my wife. The car work is last in line so what used to take a day in my college days can now take a month... or two. I've also been traveling more for my day job so that erodes the hobby time further.

All good though. As long as I can keep inching away at it, I'm happy. It's really tough when I get to big projects like this where some steps just require 4-6 consecutive hours. Base-Clear was a perfect example. Lots of investment leading up to a task that can't really be broken up. My wife isn't a fan of those days - understandably so.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Sounds exactly like my creative use of available time.
Kids, family, work, house repairs/renovations, daily driver car maintenance, ect....
Then maaaaybe have some time to work on the money pit car.

Reactions: suprarx7nut

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Fenders turned out quite well. I still had some sand scratches show through on this latest round. The most aggressive grit on the high build primer was 320 followed by 400 and then 500, but I must have failed to get the 320 scratches out in a couple areas. Overall though... damn good for a DIY'er in his garage if I do say so myself.

On the remaining parts I'll only do 400, 500 then an epoxy sealer. That should help minimize the chances of any sand scratches.

Kaminari 3 piece spoiler is up next along with bumpers!

1572890448174.png
1572890466297.png
1572890485742.png

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Fenders turned out quite well. I still had some sand scratches show through on this latest round. The most aggressive grit on the high build primer was 320 followed by 400 and then 500, but I must have failed to get the 320 scratches out in a couple areas. Overall though... damn good for a DIY'er in his garage if I do say so myself.

On the remaining parts I'll only do 400, 500 then an epoxy sealer. That should help minimize the chances of any sand scratches.

Kaminari 3 piece spoiler is up next along with bumpers!
I like the color. Very nice. Definitely not bad for a DIY'er. Are you using Kaminari bumers, too?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I like the color. Very nice. Definitely not bad for a DIY'er. Are you using Kaminari bumers, too?
No, I don't like the bumpers. I'll keep factory rear and front for now. I *might* add on the kaminari side skirts. There's a guy on instagram with Kaminari side skirts, 3 piece wing and a greddy front bumper (or Shine auto type G or something). I think his looks really good, but I think I like the factory bumper with a good lip better.

Before I get too fancy with the front bumper and a lip though, I need to install air cups in teh suspension. I can't clear my driveway as is and I really don't wnat to ruin a brand new bumper or lip. So I'll respray the factory bumper now, rock it without a lip and get the suspension sorted out. I'll readdress options on the lip once I've got some on board air and an on-demand lift system.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
That looks fantastic.

What air cups are you going to get?
I have no idea. I'm suspicious of all the options I see out there right now. I'd pay a few hundred extra to ensure it's a good and reliable system. "Stance Parts" makes some I think, but I don't know about quality. I'd like to do high speed runs eventually so system dependability are paramount. I don't want an errant air up during a 160mph run or something. I think Fortune Auto makes a kit, but they don't post much info and haven't returned my inquiry.

Any recommendations?

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Not really recommendations, I read up on them awhile ago. Alot of them seem to be paired with specific coilovers, but it looks to me like as long as you use the right spring diameter, they are essentially interchangable. You just need to ensure the cups match the shaft diameter of the shock, because they seal with a shaft seal on the shock shaft.

The Stance Parts are pretty common and have good reviews. Prices look all over the place, but you can buy the cups alone, then do your own air system. I was looking at using a stock air system from an OEM (like a BMW M5 or something) and pairing it with cups.

Ideally I would make a set, but my lathe skills are lacking.

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
I agree with your comments on Kaminari. Love the wing b/c it uses OEM hardware and side skirts b/c they eliminate the front mud flap. Is there a hole for the antenna in the wing? I would also pass on the bumpers and go with a good lip. My one complaint with all lips out there is if you look a side profile of the car the front lip hangs down farther than the side skirts. To me it looks unfinished like it doesnt belong. Do Kaminari side skirts hang lower than OEM? It still blows my mind how no one has managed to make a carbon fiber or fiberglass OEM / JDM replica front lip (same thickness). I would think everyone who owns an MK3 would buy one.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I agree with your comments on Kaminari. Love the wing b/c it uses OEM hardware and side skirts b/c they eliminate the front mud flap. Is there a hole for the antenna in the wing? I would also pass on the bumpers and go with a good lip. My one complaint with all lips out there is if you look a side profile of the car the front lip hangs down farther than the side skirts. To me it looks unfinished like it doesnt belong. Do Kaminari side skirts hang lower than OEM? It still blows my mind how no one has managed to make a carbon fiber or fiberglass OEM / JDM replica front lip (same thickness). I would think everyone who owns an MK3 would buy one.
Kaminari shaved the antenna hole on the current rev.

Agreed on the lips. I would buy a JDM two hole in carbon right now. That's what I want. Most the lips available now are too aggressive or bulky to match the look of the car with stock or common side skirts. Not to mention the fact that they hang low and stick out forward means they are that much more likely to scrape and fall off or look beat to hell.

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
Kaminari shaved the antenna hole on the current rev.

Agreed on the lips. I would buy a JDM two hole in carbon right now. That's what I want. Most the lips available now are too aggressive or bulky to match the look of the car with stock or common side skirts. Not to mention the fact that they hang low and stick out forward means they are that much more likely to scrape and fall off or look beat to hell.
We are on the same page. I would buy the two hole carbon fiber immediately as well. What will you do for an antenna? Use something internal tucked in the rear quarter where the old motor is located? I know technically these cars have two antennas, one near the defrost on the rear hatch although I am unsure of its function or if its usable to pick up signal.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
We are on the same page. I would buy the two hole carbon fiber immediately as well. What will you do for an antenna? Use something internal tucked in the rear quarter where the old motor is located? I know technically these cars have two antennas, one near the defrost on the rear hatch although I am unsure of its function or if its usable to pick up signal.
I don't think I've used radio in any of my Supras for more than a couple minutes in the last 12 years. I won't even notice it's missing. :)

I'll use the weight savings of ditching the antenna and associated antenna cable to help offset the additional weight of the subwoofer and amp that I'll use to power the speakers. :) I get a kick out of SQ systems so radio is really just not my thing.

I also have a company cell phone with unlimited data. If I get the urge to listen to FM for some strange reason, I can just load up iheartradio or something.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Truly spectacular work, man! Especially for a DIY garage setup. I'm extremely impressed. Cannot wait to see what you do next!
Thank you. It's been faaaaaaaar more work than I counted on going into this. I'd love to do this stuff full time in a dedicated garage and booth, but hopefully this build will be a showcase of what I do with a more limited and modest work space.