Project Git 'er done!: Stages 1, 2, and now 3...

Silver MK3

Authorized Seller
The kitchen looks really good! Now get back to the Supra haha. I'm looking forward to seeing the new updates and the rare piece that is on the way.

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
Back to the Supra...
Almost time to build some headlights...

The motor arms have already been modified, so the real work is going to be with the bracket fabrication, and the wiring harness.

AbsoluteSpeed

Authorized Seller
Back to the Supra...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/supraguy7/Supra 2012/20150220_115907_zps4pdqyk0m.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/supraguy7/Supra 2012/20150220_134510_zpsolh99phc.jpg

The motor arms have already been modified, so the real work is going to be with the bracket fabrication, and the wiring harness.
Please be very detailed with this! I've been trying to figure out a clean way to mount a set of Hellas.
Where did you buy these from?

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
The very best price that I could find on the lights themselves(both high AND low beams), was a place right here in GA called Parts hub Direct.
They all came with the adjuster screws, and H9 bulbs installed.
68136/ 68137

http://www.partshubdirect.com/products?category=90mm/120mm

They didn't have the 4 necessary mounting plates in stock, so I bought those from jegs, and they ended up being cheaper anyway.

# 157659007

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hella/288/157659007/10002/-1

I will post pics of the assembly once I start. Too cold in the garage right now.

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
I emailed Daniel Stern lighting. They make a custom 4-headlight harness for 9005/ 9006 systems, that keeps the low beam on when you add high beams.
I asked him specifically about 9005 vs. H9 compatibility.

PS!!!- If you haven't already ordered- I have a 10% off coupon for Partshub. I will PM you.

rodel

SoCal
Authorized Seller
Back to the Supra...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/supraguy7/Supra%202012/20150220_115907_zps4pdqyk0m.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/supraguy7/Supra%202012/20150220_134510_zpsolh99phc.jpg[/IMG

The motor arms have already been modified, so the real work is going to be with the bracket fabrication, and the wiring harness.[/QUOTE]

I'm looking forward to seeing your methods with this project.

I've got the quad light setup on my car now, but I will be gong back to a 6 x 7 housing with a projector retrofit

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/rodel/RodelSupraSIV20144.jpeg

Last edited:

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Authorized Seller
I've got the quad light setup on my car now, but I will be gong back to a 6 x 7 housing with a projector retrofit
I love the round quad setup. Sorry to go OT but what made you decide to switch back, rodel? Not for aesthetics, I'd think?

rodel

SoCal
Authorized Seller
I love the round quad setup. Sorry to go OT but what made you decide to switch back, rodel? Not for aesthetics, I'd think?
couple of reasons

1. I want a projector with a better light output and sharper cut off lines

2. i had to hack up the headlight assembly to make the quads fit. Having hacked up housing doesnt sit well with me anymore. so i am installing unhacked assemblies.

The proper way to the quad setup is to fabricate standalone housings.

http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/forms/Product.aspx?ID=298

Last edited:

AbsoluteSpeed

Authorized Seller
I emailed Daniel Stern lighting. They make a custom 4-headlight harness for 9005/ 9006 systems, that keeps the low beam on when you add high beams.
I asked him specifically about 9005 vs. H9 compatibility.

PS!!!- If you haven't already ordered- I have a 10% off coupon for Partshub. I will PM you.
Thanks. Great find on that harness too.
That will be great especially if you install HID's, there will be no delay when switching between high and low beam.

Having hacked up housing doesnt sit well with me anymore. so i am installing unhacked assemblies.
This is what I'm worried about. I'd rather not hack up the stock bits inorder to fit these, there has to be a clean way of doing so.
I've even considered 3D printing a bracket but, it would be overly complicated and cost a lot to get it right. That's why I'm interested to see how SupraGuy mounts his.

Rodel- PM me if you are selling yours.

Edit: Found this a while ago, thought it might be helpful or at least serve as inspiration. http://revlimiter.net/mods/lowpro.php

Last edited:

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
Authorized Seller
couple of reasons

1. I want a projector with a better light output and sharper cut off lines

2. i had to hack up the headlight assembly to make the quads fit. Having hacked up housing doesnt sit well with me anymore. so i am installing unhacked assemblies.

The proper way to the quad setup is to fabricate standalone housings.

http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/forms/Product.aspx?ID=298
i beleive the shortested projectors i found were 137mm long and i think this ment that that some of the plastic had to be cut in order to fit. i have done retrofit on a mk3 jetta before and played with a mk3 7x6 5064 type of housing to see the fitment.

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
Not much at all, to be honest.
I realized that I was getting back into the habit of buying 73 different things for 22 different parts of the project.
So, after buying all the relays and bulb connectors, etc. to make the headlight assembly, I have pushed it to the side, so that I can focus on finishing the rear spoiler first.
THEN I will go back to making the headlights.

Bogwon

Authorized Seller
Not much at all, to be honest.
I realized that I was getting back into the habit of buying 73 different things for 22 different parts of the project.
So, after buying all the relays and bulb connectors, etc. to make the headlight assembly, I have pushed it to the side, so that I can focus on finishing the rear spoiler first.
THEN I will go back to making the headlights.
Focus is always good!

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
So my progress has been very slow, but I do try to work on it a little bit every few days.
The rear wing is done now. I finally integrated the 3rd brake light how I wanted it.

It will remain off the car to be painted separately, just like the bumpers will. Next up is the front bumper's modification, to include the S2 airguide.
I've cut out the center grill, and begun fitting it. It will NOT be molded into the urethane, as I am afraid that it will separate if the bumper is ever tapped.
So instead it will be screwed in with semi-flush mount screws, and I am toying with the idea of putting a thin rubber lip around it as well. I will post up the mock-up pics soon.

Also just received the turn signals and markers from Ebay. They will have to share space on the shelf with all the other 'final stage' stuff.

GC89

BoostRodeo
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Just Finished Reading this whole thread over the last couple days. Excited to see it on the road, hopefully soon.

Couple Q's

1. What is the advantage of using a 5M oil pump pulley? Stronger?
2. Who makes your Fuel hoses and fittings and what is that hose type called.

In to see what you come up with for headlights, Hacking up the housings is why I never started on a dual round setup.

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
The 5M oil pump is indeed stronger than the 7M, as the 7M's has angular spokes(where stress risers could lead to cracks), and the 5M has round holes.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a 5M oil pulley at the time, so I stuck with the 7M unit.

The fuel hose I used is a nylon covered stainless braided. I really don't recall the manufacturer, but there's plenty available on Ebay, Summit, Jegs, etc.

GC89

BoostRodeo
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Makes sense, I wouldn't think that would be a terribly high stress part even with cams & springs.

You might have mentioned this but on your injectors, how did you land cost wise by the time you bought 3 sets of throttle bodies and resold them I am assuming? Those are at the top of my list for injector choices (I prefer denso) but seems like tb's are few and far between except for around 200 bucks on ebay and injectors cant be sourced by themselves. I might just settle for smaller EVO injectors.

Also do you happen to have a pic of the nozzle hole pattern on them?

GC89

BoostRodeo
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Never mind ^ saw your post on being into them about 150 on the injector thread. Did you figure out exactly what years/models these came in? I have seen a couple TBs listed for sale that have yellow top injectors with a black body instead of silver. Figured they were the same but one listing gave a different p# that was supposedly on the injector so I am second guessing that.

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
Thanks very much for reading all this.
As for injectors, i wanna say 2000-2007 arctic cat F7 and F8.
You can always message an ebay seller and ask them to get the part number off the side of one of the injectors, to be sure.

Bogwon

Authorized Seller
I bought those same smoked clear markers and front turns for my 87, really liked the way they almost disappear and become part of the trim pieces when not lit.

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
That's what I'm hoping for, Bogwon.
So today, I did a little bit of front bumper work.
There were a number of gouges in the urethane, places where it had either cracked from age, or cooked away under the sun. Surprisingly, the repair was quite easy.
I bought a 2-part bumper repair material made by Bondo. Basically a JB-Weld type deal, but with the same level of elasticity as urethane once hardened.
I used a dremel bit to grind down each crack and pitted area into clean urethane, mixed up the Bondo, and filled in. I waited about an hour, and then sanded down all the areas to a level, smooth finish.

I also got my rubber channel trim in the mail, and it fits the edge of the S2 quite well. Tomorrow, I will try to mount the airguide onto the bumper.

All those gray trails along the tan urethane are filled areas.

I should be getting some other necessary parts in this week as well.

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
Well, this is a hint of what it will eventually look like....sorta.
There's more stuff to install up there before it takes final shape.

Billybob9187

Authorized Seller
Just read the whole thing for the first time and I have to admit when I bought my first Supra 2 months ago I had an idea of what I wanted to do under the hood. Now that I have read your thread I now have pictures that confirm my ideas are possible. Thank you and keep up the hard work.

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
Thanks for reading all of it, Billybob.
More to come on the bodywork. All mods on the outside will be kept quite tame.
AKA- No body kits or flares, just a couple of mild touches. Today, I was playing with my old hood, just experimenting with an extra MR2 vent lying around.
Don't know if it'll even make it onto the car, but I figured- extra hood, extra vent....have fun.

GreenChevelleSS

Danny
Authorized Seller
Man looks good. Makes me wish I would've gone for the air guide instead of spending countless hours sanding the stock grille piece. I debated on it for days before deciding that I couldnt cut up my good crackfree grille.

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
Probably a good choice. Most people cut out the grill to make a 'big mouth' look, but don't blend in or clean up the cut mount points, and don't support the lower section in any way, causing it to distort.
Clean 89+ bumpers are getting harder to find.

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
On a side note, I finally got my second Supra.
I have been looking actively(money in hand) for over 2 months, for a decent car east of the Mississippi, and nothing was available at all, that fit my description:
1. CLEAN, in and out
2. NA as a preference
3. MANUAL tranny
4. Targa or 91-92 moonroof
5. As close to stock as possible.

I was closing in on an NA in Tampa, although the price was $1500 higher than I felt it should be...when I came across this:

1989 Turbo Targa 5speed, in the same color as my project car.
The motor needed completion after a HG swap, but it's ALL stock, even down to the radio. The only exception to this, is that the seats were redone by a previous owner to
a two-tone black/ grey tweed...and I gotta say that I dig it. I'll post up a pic of it when I get a chance. Now here's the bonus:
The guy who sold it to me had literally filled the interior with brand new OEM, hoses, belts, sensors, plug wires, and gaskets, as well as:
Brand new HKS dragger exhaust
New Fluidyne radiator
New Flex-A-lite 410 fans
Lexus AFM
Stainless T4 manifold
I'm very grateful to this guy, because he cut me a HELL of a deal, AND...he towed it down to me from Chatanooga.
I might start a build thread on this one as well, but it will remain more or less stock, with the possible exception of some TT wheels, and the Drager exhaust.
The other goodies will be sold.

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
Not much has been going on with the '88 recently, as i've been focusing temporarily on the new '89 so i can get it running as a daily driver. But i did finish a little pet project for her. Withe the IC setup and front lip on, I was afraid that the front tow hooks would be somewhat useless, so I decided to make one with a little extra(admittedly ricelike) pizazz:

This one should be solid, as the mount is all welded steel, and mounts through one of the two bumper-to-framerail bolts.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Authorized Seller
That other car is a nice find.
Interesting tow hook. I have something like that but not hinged. (It's hinged, right?)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Do the outer holes on the s2 air guide go on the outside of the frame rails of under them?

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
No, they're sort of centered on the frame rail.
This is why my tow hook comes straight out of one of the side holes, because it is bolted to the frame rail.