Project AutoX

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Do you have foam seals around the entire perimeter of the fan housing and radiator to condenser/vehicle frame interfaces?

If you don't its a path for the air to bypass going through the radiator before being sucked through the fan/housing.
I made sure to entirely seal my radiator to force all the air through it.
Just another idea.

Also do you still have an underguard?

A70nut

Authorized Seller
Do you have foam seals around the entire perimeter of the fan housing and radiator to condenser/vehicle frame interfaces?

If you don't its a path for the air to bypass going through the radiator before being sucked through the fan/housing.
I made sure to entirely seal my radiator to force all the air through it.
Just another idea.

Also do you still have an underguard?
Nope, no foam, and probably wouldn't hurt to try it. I have an undertray I bought new from toyota a few weeks ago, after installing though James Ward agreed with my observation that it makes them run hotter, which he has also experienced in the past. At this point, unless something comes up in the summer the cooling system is working very efficiently, taking between 40 and 50 degrees off from top to bottom, either sitting still or moving, I will do more testing in the summer, but for now I am happy with the cooling system.

Last edited:
Reactions: debrucer

A70nut

Authorized Seller
Well, I finally made some headway on the issue it seems. The problem ended up actually being very simple. All along I was putting the thermostat jiggle valve at 12 o clock as I was taught and have always done. There was one issue with this, my opinion on 12 o clock and toyotas opinion on 12 o clock when designing the engine were quite different. I ended up having the jiggle valve 90° off of the mark on the lower waterneck. Which I'm guessing most likely resulted in very large air pockets and a lack of flow and cooling issues. I took it apart, turned it to the correct location and burped it the best I could. I even took 2 heat cycles to burp it just to be 100% sure. I just got done idling the car for 30 minutes in 40 degree ambient temps, and while the ambient temperature isnt pushing the cooling system as hard as it could be, a dead idle for 30 minutes straight allows it to make plenty of heat to show any fault in the cooling system. The results indicated that at the stop of driving the car was at 191°f, it stayed this way for 17 minutes until the temperature dropped to 190° and by the 30 minute mark the temperature had dropped to 188°f! It seems that it is finally truly fixed! Time will tell when it gets warm outside, but for now it seems to be doing nicely.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yup, good find.
I was going to ask if you clocked the thermostat correctly.
Another method is to drill it out and enlarge that hole slightly, but should not be necessary.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
Yup, good find.
I was going to ask if you clocked the thermostat correctly.
Another method is to drill it out and enlarge that hole slightly, but should not be necessary.
Yeah, seems to be doing good now, I'll just have to watch.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
The dates for this years Supras In Vegas have been released, gonna put down for vacation time tomorrow! Really have to make sure the car is sorted since it will get about 5 thousand miles put on it in the course of 2 weeks.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
What are the dates?
I'll have to see if I can line it up with when I travel there for work.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Ah ok.
So a ways out then.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The dates for this years Supras In Vegas have been released, gonna put down for vacation time tomorrow! Really have to make sure the car is sorted since it will get about 5 thousand miles put on it in the course of 2 weeks.
Cannot imagine 5000 miles in my Supra, either from a comfort standpoint, or trust :) It's only a six-hour drive for me, and I can't fully imagine that either. I'm thinking I'm too old for that... maybe in my younger days. Maybe you want to fly to San Diego and drive mine to Vegas... I'll fly and meet you there :) Well, that's one idea. lol

A70nut

Authorized Seller
Cannot imagine 5000 miles in my Supra, either from a comfort standpoint, or trust :) It's only a six-hour drive for me, and I can't fully imagine that either. I'm thinking I'm too old for that... maybe in my younger days. Maybe you want to fly to San Diego and drive mine to Vegas... I'll fly and meet you there :) Well, that's one idea. lol
I'm planning on driving to California after vegas, I was hoping to see the golden gate bridge so I might have to hit you up!

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I'm planning on driving to California after vegas, I was hoping to see the golden gate bridge so I might have to hit you up!
San Diego is probably a full day's drive out of the way... not a bad place to visit, but no golden gate here. I have told friends, SIV 2020, and I've enjoyed the videos on youtube... committing to October would be way too much pressure. I hope to be closer, but, I doubt I'll be road-worthy.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
San Diego is probably a full day's drive out of the way... not a bad place to visit, but no golden gate here. I have told friends, SIV 2020, and I've enjoyed the videos on youtube... committing to October would be way too much pressure. I hope to be closer, but, I doubt I'll be road-worthy.
Well, that shows my Kentucky geographical ignorance, I thought San Diego was San Francisco for some reason! Hopefully it's done by then! I'd love to see some cars with build threads out there for sure!

A70nut

Authorized Seller
One of my goals with the assembly of this car is to modify it in such a way that what I do is what in my opinion Toyota might have done to the car if they rereleased it right now in 2020. Part of bringing the car into the current decade is exterior lighting. While I had LEDs for all the parking lights and the headlights already, I was undecided on what to do with the stock fog lights. After much thinking I decided to go with Dustin Gurley at double bounce extrusion on the foglight upgrade that he offers. I liked this setup because unlike the other options offered currently his design is a very nice flowing shape with the front bumper. He had 3 options at the time I ordered, now he only has 2, the v1 and the morimotos. The major differences being that the v1 has a much better light output, but the morimoto lights have a longer warranty. I opted to go with the v1 for light output because unlike the morimoto which is less bright and seems to be more of a halogen color, the v1 has 3 LEDs and 3 projector lenses in each light resulting in a major light output and beam spread, along with a super sharp cutoff.

I ordered these fogs with his tweeter upgrade that he also printed but I have not installed at this date. They are sitting until I install the 91-92 blue door cards I have sitting for the car. After waiting for a bit because he had printer issues I finally recieved the parts. Upon opening the box they were very well packaged and the initial quality of the parts was superb! Needless to say they were well worth the wait. In the box you get the lights. Which are plug and play, the bracket, which also bolts up, you just have to trim a little tab off the bumper, and the exterior trim bezel that slides in the bumper. The foglights come with install directions and the install is very straight forward. I dont have many pictures from install but here they are.

I need some better pictures, but they came out looking great! They go very well with the shape of the bumper (better than stock in my opinion) and provide a nice light output. The lights were wrapped with a 3M clear film to protect the plastic lenses from rock chips and sun damage. All the hardware was included with the kit and I added antiseize to prevent any chance of bolts starting to rust. Next was to wait until night time and test them out.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
Well, as with all projects I seem to get into with this car it spiraled out of control really quick. There has been a small bit of rust that I have noticed creeping on the underside of the hatch around the trim, it has been bugging me all year, so naturally wanting to fix the problem before it gets too bad to repair I pulled the hatch trim. In the process to get the side pieces off I sadly had to mangle the side pieces on the hatch glass to get them off as they were tar sealed in at the factory with the glass.

As I had done this I quickly realized that a big decision had come upon me. I ordered brand new hatch trim, and as I want the hatch painted before the trim Is on i only plan on painting the hatch once. This lead me to a dilemma, with the hatch being painted, it needed to be painted whatever color I want the car to be for the rest of my life. This lead to days of contemplation on what to do, repainting superwhite means it would only have to be the hatch resprayed, but it would be superwhite forever. Changing colors meant this would be the prime time to get the whole car resprayed. So after many days of thinking, I finally decided what do to. And to work i went stripping the car.