politics, religion and sales

Facime

Leather work expert
Authorized Seller
This topic was touched on in a seller feedback thread and I just had a conversation about this on AIM with another SM member so I wanted to get some other peoples opinion on the subject.

Topic under discussion: Does someones political or religious beliefs weigh in when decideing who you will do business with?

Example: Joe Partseller has made it obvious that he strongly believes "X" (where X = Against gay marriage, thinks liberals are commies, likes clubbing baby harp seals, thinks Ramen noodles are better than Mac-n-cheese...you get the idea). You strongly oppose said "X" belief. Joe Partseller is a merchant or is at least known to sell new or used parts as a way to put food on his table.

Dilema: Do you buy parts from Joe and put money in his pocket? Or do you choose to support another merchant? Is the fact that you strongly dislike the persons stance on a off topic thread enough reason not to purchase from him?

When discussing this topic the other night with someone he mentioned that he was a christian and that his friend was an athiest but that he still helped him when he could. I said that I thought that was different because he was talking about a friend, someone he already knew and had history with. I said that there were people I would not buy from simply because of view they have expressed in OT threads. However, this got me to thinking. I myself had expressed some rather controversial opinions a while back and I wondered if that played any role in who did or did NOT buy products from me.

To put this in perspective, from my standpoint buying from someone who has opposing views on strong personal issues is like sending food to the opposing troops in a war. I know, thats a little strong, and we arent talking about anyones life at stake here or anything but, I use that to illustrate the point. Maybe this analogy would be better. If you were a boxer would you hire a trainer and corner man for your opponent?

For myself, I decided some time ago now that I would refrain from posting in "Flame Bait" topics anymore for various reasons, one of which is that I prefer to keep my own beliefs private from now on, but also to ensure that I am looked at as first and foremost a Supra fanatic and not a political or religious one.

Finally I would like to ask that we keep names and specifics out of this thread and not turn it into a flame war either. Im just trying to see if anyone else thinks like me on this subject.

Mk3Jesse

Fire is my friend.
Authorized Seller
Long as the money is in my hand who cares :)
Now if there were two people or more wanting to buy something i would go with the person that needs it the most :)
I must be republican with a post like this lol.

Facime

Leather work expert
Authorized Seller
no, you missed the point. Im not talking about who you would sell to...Im talking about who you would BUY from.

YourHondaSux

I like Supras
Authorized Seller
If I don't buy the parts, someone else will. If he's got good prices, I might as well be one of the ones to benefit, regardless of what he does with the money.

MDCmotorsports

Offical Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Weez:

It does affect buisness.

At the same time, I feel that you have to stick up for what you believe and not become a cash or opportunity whore.
I.E, bend over backwards for any one who has cash or a new gimick.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Authorized Seller
If two people - one with opposite and one with the same views - have the same thing for sale, I have to say I'm going with the good guy. But since that's not the senario you posed, I would say that I most certainly would buy from somebody I disagree with... just as soon as I finished haggling the hell out of the price. For the right price I could feel VERY good about buying from somebody who is 180 degrees from me. ;)

Facime

Leather work expert
Authorized Seller
Shytheed Dumas said:
If two people - one with opposite and one with the same views - have the same thing for sale, I have to say I'm going with the good guy. But since that's not the senario you posed, I would say that I most certainly would buy from somebody I disagree with... just as soon as I finished haggling the hell out of the price. For the right price I could feel VERY good about buying from somebody who is 180 degrees from me. ;)
Yeah, I actually kind of expected most people would fall along these lines.

Toyota h8r

Formerly KILLERMK3
Authorized Seller
Hey weez, are you five yrs old? Just because you have a problem with "joepartseller", dont try to sway people on a subject. Dont be a hypocite weez, remember what you said on y messinger?

Facime

Leather work expert
Authorized Seller
KILLERMK3 said:
Hey weez, are you five yrs old? Just because you have a problem with "joepartseller", dont try to sway people on a subject. Dont be a hypocite weez, remember what you said on y messinger?
Im not following you. I am still of the opinion that I wont buy from a seller that has said or done things that I find offensive. If someone doesnt like my politics they are free to go elsewhere as well. I was however trying to say that I will no longer make my politics well known. Im not trying to sway anyone. I purposely left out names here and I think we should keep it that way.

And no Im not 5, but why are you attempting to personally attack me? did I reference you in any way? Do I know you? do you know me? Im confused why the hostility?

And I posted this more in responce to something that was brought up in the seller feedback forum more than anything. It was just an interesting topic to me. Wanted to see where other people stand on it is all. There is no need to get pissy

Facime

Leather work expert
Authorized Seller
Shytheed Dumas said:
You sound disappointed.
no, not saying that. I was really just curious how many people feel strongly enough in their conviction to go out of their way to support like minded people and NOT support those of the opposition.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Authorized Seller
Well looks like no Weezlewings for KillerMK3 ever!!!!!!!

Weezl I have to agree with you on this. North Dakota is a very conservative state. Religion and politics play a huge role in who you do business with. I used to work for A AM tALK radio station that is very dominate in Fargo. We had many business owners that would not advertise with the station because they personally did not belive in the stations conservative nature. Even though many of their customers had the same conservative views.

My parents own a business in Minot ND and they use Red White and Blue for their store colors. My father has actually been asked by customers if he thinks his store colors affect his business. When my father told me that story he just could not belive people could not support the country they live in.

Toyota h8r

Formerly KILLERMK3
Authorized Seller
HellsLegion said:
I dont care what someone thinks. I may look down upon them in a post, but if they offer me somthing great, Ill buy it,
argeed, the reason my "attack" weez is we dont need to slip a name and turn into a bashfest. Mods dont like that.

Facime

Leather work expert
Authorized Seller
Well, you are the only one in this thread that went anywhere other than on topic, so lets get it back on topic.

While I was curios what others had to say, I was also trying to make a point. If you want to do business here (or anywhee for that matter) I think its a good idea to watch waht you say.

JoeC

Banned
In my opinion, I take their opinion and views on subject 'X' with a grain of salt.

It doesn't matter to me, and that isn't how i view someone's intelligence, personality, or ability to do business. Sure, if I see a person in a store who is homosexual, or dresses differently I have an opinion about their likes, or dislikes, but I will never judge them if they want to be my friend.

Weez, I understand where you are comming from, although.. when you look at someone's post on the forums, do you judge their business ethics?

I notice people on this forum, aswell as MANY other forums flame people and critisize them as a individual because of their spelling, or their sentence structure, although that person may very well be very quick with words in person and you would assume otherwise.

Hopefully you somewhat understand the point I am trying to make. Don't judge a book by it's cover. :biglaugh:

Aaron J Williams

Make It So!!!
Authorized Seller
As far as religion goes:
Proverbs 25 :21 said:
21 If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat,
and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink,
22 for in doing so you will heap burning coals on his head,
and it will be accounted to you as righteousness.
As far as politics goes, I would take his product idea, improve upon it, build it myself ,undercut his price and flood the market. God bless America, the most dynamic economy in the world!

:icon_idea:naughty: